Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shohin
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Yes, it seems that after all of the numerous and justified complaints that vB received has in a VERY small way addressed them. However I still find it reprehensible that the time limit of October 31st is outlandish to say the least! I just received my email as to the time limit yesterday and I'm beginning to wonder about those that may have perhaps received it today or not at all yet! Regardless of whether it was yesterday, today, tomorrow or even last week the fact still remains that this notice should have been sent at least 30 or 60 days ago! Sorry, I still find this an outlandish slap in the face and the notifications of prices and changes in policy should have been sent a long time ago and not forcing one to make a decision and or evaluation as to expenses so quickly. This offer is merely crumbs to satisfy the ignorant. Take it for what you will.

Comment

• alpha
      • May 2001

Originally posted by ENF
      Are you an idiot? Most every single major software mfg. (consumer or not) requires you to purchase new licenses for a new version. In most cases, if you have an active license agreement, you can usually upgrade. In other cases, you have to buy a new license when that new version is released.

And everyone here, that's been around since the early days has upgraded from Verison 1 to Version 2 and then to Version 3 with a, wait for it..... a NEW LICENSE.
      It's obvious that you don't work for a commercial enterprise that require 200K+ user ELAs with vendors such as Microsoft and Oracle. Forgive me for being a bit condescending but it's for your benefit so that you can understand it better. What operating system do you use at home?

If you are a Mac OS user, what would you say if Apple said there is no $29 upgrade license for Snow Leopard but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail license for $169?

If you are a Windows OS user, what would you say if Microsoft said there is no $119.99 upgrade license for Windows 7 but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail Windows 7 license for $199.99?

Better yet, the vendor says you only have 2 weeks to decide but they don't know when their software will be released.

Are you one of those people that don't know any better and purchase the full retail license every time even though you already own the previous version? Bravo to you, very intelligent indeed.

Comment

• ACAMS
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
        My issue is that I don't have an expired *license*. I have an expired *support contract*. My license is valid forever. That means it's an "active" license. To play these word games is really, really scummy... Either the license is valid and active (i.e. owned) or it's not (i.e. leased).

Treat everyone the same. $130 for everyone with a valid license. It's really the only way IB will get some of the dirt of their face.
        That is what I have too!!!

They said it is gonna cost me $210.00.....PHPBB is FREE!!

I will pay $130.00 but $210..00 pissssses me offf.

If I keep my old one they will probably hack my site and say it was somebody else!

Comment

• ENF
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by alpha
          It's obvious that you don't work for a commercial enterprise that require 200K+ user ELAs with vendors such as Microsoft and Oracle. Forgive me for being a bit condescending but it's for your benefit so that you can understand it better. What operating system do you use at home?
          Wrong. I work for a international audit firm full-time. We're attached to Microsoft for sure and I cannot disclose our other vendors publicly. My home OS does not matter. I did previously handle an RFP for site license involving Oracle a few years a go for a large University. I think I am fairly educated in the world of software licensing.

If you are a Mac OS user, what would you say if Apple said there is no $29 upgrade license for Snow Leopard but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail license for $169?

If you are a Windows OS user, what would you say if Microsoft said there is no $119.99 upgrade license for Windows 7 but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail Windows 7 license for $199.99?
          It personally wouldn't matter to me, if it's important enough and the price is reasonable, which it is, no problem.

Originally posted by Alpha
          Better yet, the vendor says you only have 2 weeks to decide but they don't know when their software will be released.
          How's the track record? Have I been with them a long time? If yes, then I put my faith in them until they betray me. (Which, they haven't as of yet.)

Originally posted by Alpha
          Are you one of those people that don't know any better and purchase the full retail license every time even though you already own the previous version? Bravo to you, very intelligent indeed.
          What an even more idiotic statement. I buy upgrades when necessary and full versions when it's warranted.

In the case of Jelsoft, it's their company and their product. If the end result does not meet your satisfaction, then find another product.

Thanks for that fun exchange.
          To be updated...

Comment

• shohin
            • Oct 2007
            • 3.6.x

If I may I'll place forth a very simple case in point here.
            Microsoft Vista is really not that old and I assume most people are using it (aside from Mac users obviously). Microsoft is coming out with a new OS called "Windows 7" October 22nd if I'm not mistaken. How would you Vista users, such as I, feel that when M7 comes out that you were only given three weeks notice of it and if you don't purchase it there will no longer be any support or updates for Vista? Think about it....'nough said! I can't update to 4.0 simply because I can't afford it, I don't care at all for the way I was treated or the notice given and even if I had the money I'll be damned if I'll spend it on something I've not seen or if it will even work or integrate with what I currently have and worked so hard for.

vB can feel more than free to ban me for my feelings as it really at this point makes no difference. I have to keep the current version that I have and therefore will no longer be given any support nor will there be any further updates for it. With that I'll no longer have any access to the forum here so doing so would be like kicking the proverbial dead horse. With that said, vB can shove this whole mess up their ass.

Comment

• alpha
              • May 2001

I am so glad that all you can do is call me names in your direct replies to my posts. Sign of tremendous intelligence; in fact, it's so intelligent that I simply can't fathom to match it.

You win, sir. May your common sense in the "world of software licensing" serve you well. I don't like being strong-armed by vendors and just can't throw away my own money or my employer's money at something that is behind a curtain.

Comment

• jbart04
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ENF
                Wrong. I work for a international audit firm full-time. We're attached to Microsoft for sure and I cannot disclose our other vendors publicly. My home OS does not matter. I did previously handle an RFP for site license involving Oracle a few years a go for a large University. I think I am fairly educated in the world of software licensing.

It personally wouldn't matter to me, if it's important enough and the price is reasonable, which it is, no problem.

How's the track record? Have I been with them a long time? If yes, then I put my faith in them until they betray me. (Which, they haven't as of yet.)

What an even more idiotic statement. I buy upgrades when necessary and full versions when it's warranted.

In the case of Jelsoft, it's their company and their product. If the end result does not meet your satisfaction, then find another product.

Thanks for that fun exchange.
                Since Jelsoft was bought out by IB...none of us have been with them very long. I've heard IB has a bad track record which was what all the fuss was about when Jelsoft was first bought out.

I would gladly pay the 195 that they are now saying I have to pay b/c my license happened to be inactive prior to this "mess"...I just want to know how the software is going to "feel" and if I can get my site to mesh well with it. But a 1 time fee for all vb4.x, I'm totally fine with that.

Comment

• Byron
                  • Nov 2000
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 6

Well said.

Comment

• Flexo
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Ok, 190$ is better than 250$. It's still 60$ more than was advertised in the e-mail as well as on vBulletin.com.
                    MovieGod.de - Wer mit Popcorn schmeißt, fliegt raus.

Comment

• Abomination
                      • Jul 2008

My understanding is the $130 deal was for active licenses only, and that by mistake the emails were sent to everyone.

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 3.8.x

Where was the correction email? Also, the offer was in the AdminCP in your vB install. Seems like if it *was* a *mistake* they would have corrected it, no?

Comment

• SteveLV702
                          • Aug 2009

well does me no good as I only get paid on the first of every month so I am 2 days short of being able to take this offer....
                          ------------------------------------------
                          Steve
                          DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                          Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• Abomination
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
                            Where was the correction email? Also, the offer was in the AdminCP in your vB install. Seems like if it *was* a *mistake* they would have corrected it, no?
                            I've been asking myself the same questions.

I do in fact wear a tinfoil hat occasionally (Halloween only of course) and I've been thinking this could all be intentional. Then I take the hat off and those thoughts go away. Then I put it back on and think about those leaks of the moderator forums last spring.

But of course I never wear it unless it is the Halloween season.

Comment

• Flexo
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Abomination
                              My understanding is the $130 deal was for active licenses only, and that by mistake the emails were sent to everyone.
                              Yes. But as I said, it is also advertised on vBulletin.com. Free forum-only update, "active licences only", and 130$ for the upgrade to the suite. It's still there, main site, under "features".
                              MovieGod.de - Wer mit Popcorn schmeißt, fliegt raus.

Comment

• Abomination
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Flexo
                                Yes. But as I said, it is also advertised on vBulletin.com. Free forum-only update, "active licences only", and 130$ for the upgrade to the suite. It's still there, main site, under "features".
                                Clearly I jumped into the middle of a conversation, sorry about that.

If you are saying the announcment Ray made a few hours ago is not reflected in the main vb.com page, and the method of payment has not been updated, you are correct.

Regardless, sorry for my interruption.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...