Would it have been too much to ask for???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Landy
    • Oct 2009
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by SloppyGoat
    I predict vBulletin loses a lot of customers.
    Your prediction will most likely be true.
    They just lost one

<---

Comment

• AVC
      Banned
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

Many simply can't afford what vB is offering, I think most of us were willing to pay under the old system when we had the cash to update to the latest versions for 60 bucks even if your license had expired.

But there is no way in hell folks are going to be able to pay 195.00 x 3 forums just to update a script.

This will force forum operators to use phpBB and other open source scripts.

Comment

• jbart04
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        No we're not. Please read the announcement here:

That is your offer. It is the price active license customers are paying plus the renewal fee. And yes, that is the best offer you'll get if you have an inactive license.
        I thought they get 130 bucks. Renewal is 30 bucks, therefore we should only pay 160 bucks for it. Or is my math way off?

Ah and here's the quote from the email:
        As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer the vBulletin Publishing Suite at a pre-sale discount price of only $130 (over 50% off regular price). This is a truly limited one-time special offer giving you $120 off the upgrade price but will expire on Friday October 30, 2009.
        I'd gladly pay the 30 for the renewal like I have since I first purchased vB and then purchase the 130 upgrade. Wouldn't THAT be fair? Or am I WAY off base again with my math or concept?

Comment

• SloppyGoat
          • Feb 2002

Yep, they just hosed all the smaller forum owners and lost a lot of business. The thing vBulletin forgot is, we all paid the same amount, back when we weren't getting hosed. Those who can't afford to get hosed won't keep coming back. Who the hell will trust them anymore? Only those idiots who don't mind getting burned? Oh well, everyone run their version into the ground and kiss them goodbye. I hope you guys are happy with your decison to screw so many soon-not-to-be customers over.

Thanks
          The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Comment

• Landy
            • Oct 2009
            • 3.8.x

Yep, they just hosed all the smaller forum owners and lost a lot of business. The thing vBulletin forgot is, we all paid the same amount, back when we weren't getting hosed. Those who can't afford to get hosed won't keep coming back. Who the hell will trust them anymore? Only those idiots who don't mind getting burned? Oh well, everyone run their version into the ground and kiss them goodbye. I hope you guys are happy with your decison to screw so many soon-not-to-be customers over.

Thanks
            Well said, couldn't have put it better myself.

Comment

• christon26
              • Jan 2009
              • 3.8.x

I don't WANT to upgrade at this stage, a few screenshots just doesn't cut it for me, I have an active owned license for which the support agreement expires in 2 months, at which point the choice I am left with is keep on using what I have with NO support, or pay for an upgrade to a product I have not seen (screenshots are not really seeing to me), has not been released and at this stage I do not want...or I can pay $130 now at a time I cannot afford it, again for a product unseen.

I posted in another thread that those of us who want to stick with 3.X for now *should* be given the option to renew our yearly support service just for the 3.X series for another year, and I still stand by that...if Vb4 turns out to be the bees knees and I want it, I will quite happily pay the full upgrade fee then....but I REALLY don't think it's fair to deny us any upgrades to the 3.X series if we choose to continue using it till Vb4 is somewhat stable...never mind actually having been released for use.
              Digiscrap Forum (vBulletin 3.8.7 PL2)
              HunnyBee Design (vBulletin 3.8.7 PL2)

Comment

• AVC
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

You are absolutely right, vB not making updates to the version 3 for existing owned license holders is an outright idiotic move if that is the case.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by christon26
                  I don't WANT to upgrade at this stage, a few screenshots just doesn't cut it for me, I have an active owned license for which the support agreement expires in 2 months, at which point the choice I am left with is keep on using what I have with NO support, or pay for an upgrade to a product I have not seen (screenshots are not really seeing to me), has not been released and at this stage I do not want...or I can pay $130 now at a time I cannot afford it, again for a product unseen.

I posted in another thread that those of us who want to stick with 3.X for now *should* be given the option to renew our yearly support service just for the 3.X series for another year, and I still stand by that...if Vb4 turns out to be the bees knees and I want it, I will quite happily pay the full upgrade fee then....but I REALLY don't think it's fair to deny us any upgrades to the 3.X series if we choose to continue using it till Vb4 is somewhat stable...never mind actually having been released for use.
                  Now that would be fair and keep everyone happy, wouldn't it? Those who didn't get a chance to pay up could and continue onto 4.x, and probably wouldn't even mind paying something extra then, without getting burned. I don't suppose that's going to happen, though. Like I said, who's going to trust vB now? They'd rather burn a sh1tload of bridges and take their chances.
                  The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Comment

• christon26
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Yep, I have to admit I have lost my trust...I love Vb, but I am so not loving what is happening now

Comment

• Grover
                      • May 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AVC
                      At this time the only thing I can do and afford to do is keep running my current vB version for the next few years or switch to an open source package.
                      I predict vBulletin loses a lot of customers.
                      IB has lost one very big client just now. A company I was in conversation with decided to go for the exact same thing your are: open source instead of vBulletin after this mess.
                      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• christon26
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Now that would be fair and keep everyone happy, wouldn't it? Those who didn't get a chance to pay up could and continue onto 4.x, and probably wouldn't even mind paying something extra then, without getting burned. I don't suppose that's going to happen, though. Like I said, who's going to trust vB now? They'd rather burn a sh1tload of bridges and take their chances.
                        {OFF TOPIC}
                        Just checked out your forum in your sig and I am so laffing right now upon scrolling to the bottom and finding this: This page is best viewed with your eyes open
                        {/OFF TOPIC}

Comment

• christon26
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grover
                          IB has lost one very big client just now. A company I was in conversation with decided to go for the exact same thing your are: open source instead of vBulletin after this mess.
                          Which really is a shame...in my web design business I generally do more templating of phpBB and it was just starting to turn around to more vBulletin customisations....and now this...it all sux

Comment

• RobParker
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            I didn't say that. You can continue using your license under the terms is was purchased under while it was active. You'll find this agreement in your forums directory. The actual terms haven't changed. You couldn't upgrade to new versions on expired licenses before either.

Or you can upgrade to the vBulletin 4.0 license under the terms in the announcement forum from tonight. Or you can find it in your Admin CP on the home page under News.
                            The one single issue with this is that you've discontinued the support license.

This means anyone with an owned license for VB3 can no longer get updates unless they buy a VB4 license.

Treating VB3 and VB4 as different products with different licenses is cool but what you've effectively done is say if you want to install Vista Service Pack 2 then you need a Windows 7 license.

If you offered the option of paying $40 a year until VB3 EOL for access to JUST VB3 updates then there wouldn't be a problem but you've taken that option away which in many people's eyes means they can no longer update their owned license installations which makes them useless.

Comment

• doug1
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by RobParker
                              This means anyone with an owned license for VB3 can no longer get updates unless they buy a VB4 license.
                              vBulletin clearly have a frightening lack of faith in the VB4 product.

When Mercedes or Toyota bring out a new model, they have confidence it will win new customers because it's good enough to. They don't withdraw all parts and servicing for the old models to force people to buy the new one. The business ethics behind vBulletin's move stinks imho. It's a money grab with no thought to delivering what their customers want.

Comment

• knightdreams
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 3.8.x

I think the key words here are "Update" and "Upgrade" with the latter being "Upgrading to 4.0", now paying for 4.0 with having an Owned lic of 3.8 is understandable, but...if I wanted to keep running 3.8.4 and not "Upgrade" to 4.0 I will no longer get vital security updates like before? Am I correct in that understanding? Cause before even if a lic was classified as inactive but still an owned lic we still got vital security updates for free and only had to pay for "Upgrades" and not "Updates".

Edit: Also, according to my current EULA, I "should" be entitled to vb4.0 for free cause my lic is still active. Is this still the case or would I still have to "purchase" an "upgrade" to vb4.0 if I decide to go from 3.8.4 to vb4.0?
                                Last edited by knightdreams; Thu 15 Oct '09, 1:47am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...