Would it have been too much to ask for???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
    Changing the terms of our license, with no warning is NOT an appropriate way to conduct business.
    you again?

this was announced at the begining of summer that the leased licenses will expire and not reconducted...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• SloppyGoat
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      We don't have a renewal product anymore so we didn't code for it. Previous licenses cannot be renewed once they expire. They can be converted to the new license if the customer wishes to upgrade.
      I have a lifetime license. It doesn't expire, so it can't be renewed. I assume you're talking about those who have expiring licenses? How will owners of lifetime licenses now access updates?
      The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Comment

• tgcsniper
        • Dec 2008
        • 3.8.x

vBulletin has the right to change its policy/terms of license etc... at any time without warning. Being a student of law you would know this...

Makes me wonder if you really do/had gone to a law school... tell me which one so i can send them a message...
        http://portal.thetgc.org/

Comment

• ENF
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by SloppyGoat
          I have a lifetime license. It doesn't expire, so it can't be renewed. I assume you're talking about those who have expiring licenses? How will owners of lifetime licenses now access updates?
          Your license is either inactive or active. You can only access the updates if your license is active. (Meaning, you've paid the yearly fee.) Inactive (owned or leased) cannot access updates.
          To be updated...

Comment

• AVC
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 3.5.x

We don't have a renewal product anymore so we didn't code for it. Previous licenses cannot be renewed once they expire. They can be converted to the new license if the customer wishes to upgrade.

So even though the "license has expired", I still have the right to use the software forever under the original EULA ?

How do we get security updates for the versions we are stuck with Wayne ?

Comment

• GHOwner
              • Jun 2007
              • 3.8.x

We're working on a solution for people with inactive licenses. However the new shopping cart doesn't allow for renewals of any kind so we cannot just implement that.
              Announcement coming soon and we'll push it to everyone's Admin CP.
              Thank you Wayne, that's all the understandingly loyal customers ask for. I didn't renew due to the lack of information of vB4, and not much in terms of updates was happening. So, it can be understandable why I didn't, yeah?

Comment

• Al Zander
                • Aug 2001

I see. So rather than a blanket vbulletin license as before, it is now a separate license per application, per version. So, a separate license for each version of Publishing Site and a separate license for each version of vbulletin Forums. Is that correct?

Comment

• Markos1977
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.6.x

wayne is there a set price for just the forum soft not the suite ????

Comment

• ENF
                    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by SillyAlien
                    I see. So rather than a blanket vbulletin license as before, it is now a separate license per application, per version. So, a separate license for each version of Publishing Site and a separate license for each version of vbulletin Forums. Is that correct?
                    For VB4: There is a license that covers just the forums and then there is a license for the Suite, which contains all of the additional applications including the forum portion.

So yes, you have to pick which one you want.

As a side note, it's always been this way between versions. a VB2 license could not be used for VB3, but there was an upgrade path if I remember correctly.
                    To be updated...

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                      • Feb 2002

How will updates now be obtained, if the support fee is being eliminated? It doesn't matter what you call it. It's a download/support fee, no matter what you want to call it. Those of us who purchased lifetime licenses were granted lifetime access to updates, of course that was accompanied by a yearly support fee. How are updates going to be handled now? I already own the license and it does not expire. What you're talking about was the support fee. I want to know how I access the software now. If vBulletin is going to claim that a lifetime license can expire if you don't pay the support fee, then we have a problem because that's not actually a license fee at all. As I said, it was a support fee. Lifetime licenses do not expire, unless the company is going bankrupt?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

We have never sold a lifetime license. We sold an Owned license with perpetual usage however these licenses were sold with one year of updates and you could renew that license for another year when the previous year expired. We no longer sell the owned license or the renewal that complimented it.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tgcsniper
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 3.8.x

How will updates now be obtained, if the support fee is being eliminated? It doesn't matter what you call it. It's a download/support fee, no matter what you want to call it. Those of us who purchased lifetime licenses were granted lifetime access to updates, of course that was accompanied by a yearly support fee. How are updates going to be handled now? I already own the license and it does not expire. What you're talking about was the support fee. I want to know how I access the software now. If vBulletin is going to claim that a lifetime license can expire if you don't pay the support fee, then we have a problem because that's not actually a license fee at all. As I said, it was a support fee. Lifetime licenses do not expire, unless the company is going bankrupt?

Its a license fee because without actually abtaining the license you cant run the software, and if you dont pay the support fee then your license expires disabling you from getting updates.

If there was simply JUST a support fee then vbulletin would be free
                          http://portal.thetgc.org/

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                            • Feb 2002

We have never sold a lifetime license. We sold an Owned license with perpetual usage however these licenses were sold with one year of updates and you could renew that license for another year when the previous year expired. We no longer sell the owned license or the renewal that complimented it.
                            So, are you trying to tell me that anyone who did not pay the support fee now has an obsolete license? Just tell me whether this is your way of screwing everyone who just happened to be unpaid or not. How is perpetual usage going to be established now, or are you trying to say that there is no more perpetual usage and that our lifetime licenses are now worthless for any further versions sold by vBulletin? Give it to me straight, are you screwing us, or will there be a fair solution, since we were really not given any real notice of this change within a reasonable amount of time, IMO?

Comment

• roscoe36
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by nexialys
                              this was announced at the begining of summer that the leased licenses will expire and not reconducted...
                              Announced where?

Not by email, and not through my AdminCP.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by tgcsniper
                                Its a license fee because without actually abtaining the license you cant run the software, and if you dont pay the support fee then your license expires disabling you from getting updates.

If there was simply JUST a support fee then vbulletin would be free
                                I believe you're wrong. Owned licenses don't expire. At the very worst, they would stop supporting further versions, and that's what I want to know. Are we being screwed? I can run 3.8.2 for the rest of my life if I want. What I want to know is if this license is ever going to be good for anything else again, or we're all screwed if we didn't pay the fee in time? Because that's a crappy way to treat all of the members if that's what's going on here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...