Would it have been too much to ask for???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SloppyGoat
    • Feb 2002

Would it have been too much to ask for???

It would just seem that all of your loyal customers, who have stuck with vBulletin all these years, should be given the chance to renew their support fee, since that is what determines whether their lifetime license becomes obsolete or not, and they are allowed to download the latest version and continue using their lifetime license. I would gladly pay it, as I'm sure anyone else who is planning on sticking with vBulletin would. Now you're charging anyone who hasn't paid their fee (lifetime license or not) more than you would charge a new customer? Something is very wrong with this picture. Please tell me this is just a misunderstanding.
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

when you forget to pay for your driving license, do you go to the government to ask for an extension of your license until you can pay for it?!... nope, you pay the fees, even if you are a driven for decades.

period.
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

We're working on a solution for people with inactive licenses. However the new shopping cart doesn't allow for renewals of any kind so we cannot just implement that.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        We're working on a solution for people with inactive licenses.
        reseting their license by hand would do it... i suppose someone is ready to do it on a volunteer effort ?!... rofl
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• ENF
          • Apr 2002

We're working on a solution for people with inactive licenses. However the new shopping cart doesn't allow for renewals of any kind so we cannot just implement that.
          Someone post this in big, red, bold letters somewhere.
          To be updated...

Comment

• SloppyGoat
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by nexialys
            when you forget to pay for your driving license, do you go to the government to ask for an extension of your license until you can pay for it?!... nope, you pay the fees, even if you are a driven for decades.

period.
            I don't forget to pay my license and this makes no difference since that scenario does not even compare. They didn't sell me a lifetime license, as vBulletin did, and they also give me notice before my license expires.

The support fee is not a license. I paid for the license. If you want to charge me a reasonable fee (as usual) to download the latest version, that's perfectly acceptable, but I own a lifetime license.
            Last edited by SloppyGoat; Wed 14 Oct '09, 6:11pm.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
              • Feb 2002

Thanks. Please let me know how we can work this out.

Comment

• AVC
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

Wayne, you need to work on giving multiple license holders very favorable pricing and long term security, in other words contracts in years, not by versions for stand alone forum software.

We can't renew and stick with vBulletin if we think you guys will be charging 2 thousand dollars per license for version 6.

This is becoming a joke, not good business.

Comment

• nexialys
                  • May 2004
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by SloppyGoat
                  I don't forget to pay my license and this makes no difference since that scenario does not even compare. They didn't sell me a lifetime license, as vBulletin did, and they also give me notice before my license expires.
                  vBulletin.com send an emailed notice two weeks or more before your license expire... they also post announcements on processes in the forum, and in the quarterly email we all receive about security updates etc...

Comment

• tgcsniper
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ENF
                    This would actually shut everyone up. At least for 5 minutes, before they find something new to whinge about.
                    http://portal.thetgc.org/

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by nexialys
                      vBulletin.com send an emailed notice two weeks or more before your license expire... they also post announcements on processes in the forum, and in the quarterly email we all receive about security updates etc...
                      No, that is a support fee. A lifetime license never expires.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ENF
                        Announcement coming soon and we'll push it to everyone's Admin CP.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Al Zander
                          • Aug 2001

However the new shopping cart doesn't allow for renewals of any kind so we cannot just implement that.
                          For an operation as large and well established as vbulletin, why even launch an order page (shopping cart, as you called it) without ability for customers to renew? It leaves one obvious conclusion that the only objective here was to sell one product and one product only - Publishing Suite. Get as many customers shuffled into this new product as possible and sort out the rest later. By then, the majority would have been in the Publishing Suite fee category, with renewal thereafter at $250 (plus inflation, minus a small "early" discount). I'd love to hear some rebuttals.

Comment

• ENF
                            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by tgcsniper
                            This would actually shut everyone up. At least for 5 minutes, before they find something new to whinge about.
                            Ah, yes.. but I hope their solution is a good one. I've found out this morning that two of my friends are in that inactive boat... even after I told them to update their license at the same time I did.

I just hope it's a decent offer, something like retroactive upgrade special for peoples' licenses that expired in say, the last six months or so. I think that would be a nice gesture. For those who bought into VB in the last month, I don't think there is a viable option except run VB3.8 until it's time to replace that license, thus upgrading to 4.0, if they so choose. Otherwise, run VB3.8 until EOL.

As a manager, I *would* have let people know to upgrade/keep their license active as that would have actually boosted my revenue stream while avoiding some of the mess they are dealing with now. On the other hand, people still would have complained about having to get a new license regardless, no matter what.
                            To be updated...

Comment

• AVC
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Really, what the hell are you talking about ?

Get a new license ?

When in the past all we had to do was pay for the renewal fees when we wanted to update to the latest version !!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...