Just paid for my license and now obsolete?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rldoughjr
    • Oct 2008

Just paid for my license and now obsolete?

I just paid $180.00 for a lifetime 3.8 license. Now I have to pay ANOTHER $130 to continue to play?
  • Aeolian
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.2.X

Nop.
    you will get vb4 as free upgrade.
    u will only need to pay $130 if u need cms+blog.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Aeolian
      Nop.
      you will get vb4 as free upgrade.
      u will only need to pay $130 if u need cms+blog.
      Not quite true...after the 12 months "active" period of the license, the license will have to be renewed...except that renewals are no longer available, so a new license will be required.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Batouchu
        • Jan 2008

And 195$ if you want security fixes and patches.

Comment

• LegolasTheElf
          Banned
          • Jun 2007
          • 3.8.x

Yup.. They said "$40" a year to renew. Turns out, you'll need to spend $195 to renew. Had you waited a day or two, would have paid the same without the $200 fee in a year.

Thank you, come again.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by rldoughjr
            I just paid $180.00 for a lifetime 3.8 license. Now I have to pay ANOTHER $130 to continue to play?
            I really do sympathize in your situation. Now you're paying $310.00 instead of the presale $235.00 price for the publishing suite.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• rldoughjr
              • Oct 2008

I wonder if I can get a credit?

Anyone else in this situation? Would like to find out if anyone else has had this problem addressed by vB.

Comment

• ENF
                • Apr 2002

Anyone else in this situation? Would like to find out if anyone else has had this problem addressed by vB.
                It's more like bad luck than anything else. When exactly did you buy the license for VB3?

If you're just going to use the forums portion, you're fine as you are until your current license expires. Yes, then you'll have to buy a new license as your VB3 license does not apply to VB4 after the active period.

I'm also curious: How much product research did you do prior to purchasing VB3? Had you been reading the forums here before purchase?
                To be updated...

Comment

• rldoughjr
                  • Oct 2008

Using for 1 year. Paid $180 10/08/09.

Had to re-up or no forum. Can't see adding another 130. Looks like a no-sale for me.

Comment

• ENF
                    • Apr 2002

Had to re-up or no forum. Can't see adding another 130. Looks like a no-sale for me.
                    $180 for an owned (not leased) license? Then you can run VB3 forever, or until you're ready to upgrade to VB4. You don't HAVE to pay the $130 now, it will just be a higher price to move up to VB4 later, if you so wish.

But again, with the license you just bought... you can run VB3 until you decide to upgrade or not upgrade. Your support/product updates for VB3 will expire on 10/8/10.

I'd also believe that they could have another VB4 sale period, I would not rule that out at all.
                    To be updated...

Comment

• Qwk86gn
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
                      Yup.. They said "$40" a year to renew. Turns out, you'll need to spend $195 to renew. Had you waited a day or two, would have paid the same without the $200 fee in a year.

Thank you, come again.
                      This statement is not entirely true. The only way this statement is true is if vB 5.0 comes out in a year and you want to upgrade to continue to receive updates, patches and so on. He will get a free upgrade to just the "Forum 4.0" but the Suite will cost $130.

Buying a vB 4.0 license now means you are buying license for the whole series of 4.X, not just a year unless vB 5.0 comes out in a year. He will be required to buy a new or upgraded license once his current one expires in a year.
                      Last edited by Qwk86gn; Thu 15 Oct '09, 7:34pm.

Comment

• naoba
                        • Aug 2009

I am in a similar situation too. I just paid $180 for vB in august and after a week or so, vbBLOG (i think it was on Aug 23rd'09) Now all these products are going obsolete.

I don't want to complain anymore but would like to ask my fellow community members what should i do now? I am just a student running it as a hobby site. My site has only 69 members for god's sake and not even 1000 posts.

vB = $180
                        vbBlog = $60

Total amount paid in August= $240

-----------------
                        What IB/Jelsoft is NOW asking me to pay? = $130 for an entire new product

If i pay-up, then total would be $240+$130= $370. And i am not sure whether i will have to cough up next year when vB5 releases
                        --------------

Is it advisable to just run my 3.8.4 till it expires next year? Will i face any security issues? I really like the CMS though.
                        -------------

@Jelsoft/IB

I want Jelsoft/IB to just give me back my $240 and i will just focus on my studies.. period
                        Last edited by naoba; Thu 15 Oct '09, 9:55pm.
                        How long will it take for vB to become xenForo?

Comment

• Blackbook
                          • May 2009

There are literally THOUSANDS. If not in the smae situation, then in ones similar.
                          It's an omen...

Comment

• Michael2
                            • Oct 2001
                            • 3.8.x

I just paid $180.00 for a lifetime 3.8 license.
                            And you'll get what you paid for. What's the problem?
                            HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                            Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                            iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                            VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• The Gismo Man
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Michael2
                              And you'll get what you paid for. What's the problem?
                              Very cleverly omitted the OP's entire sentence
                              What he's getting at and what you really know is the fact he just actually bought VB 3 series and now will have to pay another 130 bucks to get up to the 4 series and have the most up to date version....................well he would if it was actually available
                              https://thebookjoint.com/forums/forum.php - for all things relating to books especially Jack Reacher

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...