Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MPS
    • Aug 2005

Would this be allowed?

Since I own my vB 3.8.4 forum for life, if I choose to buy vB 4.0 which is a new licence agreement, can I put my vB 3.8.4 forum on one site & vB 4.0 on another ???

I can't see this been a problem since it's more expensive for me to purchase the vB4 Suite as an existing vB customer (4 years), than it is as a new customer...

Opinions?

-Patrick
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Not unless you get a 2nd license.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

It's not a new license, it's an upgrade to v4 license, license. So no. it's still one instance. And you will have one license number.

If you want to run 2, and the price difference isn't much between upgrading and buying a new one, you can consider buying a new one to run 2 instances.

The v3 EULA gets replaced by the new v4 EULA when you agree to it (by upgrading to that license) so "for life" no longer is valid.

Comment

• MPS
        • Aug 2005

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

May I also ask;

My owned licence expired 27th August last, I didn't renew it because I was waiting for vB4.

When I login to http://www.vbulletin.com/order/index.php I have two options for the the full suite;

1)Purchase New = $235
        2)Upgrade Existing = $250

So basically I'm been charged more because I'm an existing vB customer.

Just don't get it at all, why is this the case?, or am I missing something?

-Patrick
        Last edited by MPS; Wed 14 Oct '09, 3:30pm. Reason: typo

Comment

• choccyclaire
          • Jan 2008

Those purchases are for the suite, which is a new vb "product". There should also be an option just to purchase the forum software as a stand alone.

Comment

• roscoe36
            • Jul 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MPS
            So basically I'm been charged more because I'm an existing vB customer.

Just don't get it at all, why is this the case?, or am I missing something?

-Patrick
            You understand it perfectly.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Wasn't there a post saying there's a bug in the system you have to login first from frontpage, then select the product, and it will say what discount you get?

Comment

• MPS
                • Aug 2005

@choccyclaire

I know, I probably won't use the other features of the Suite, but for an extra $40 on top of what I will be already paying I might as well go the whole hog...

My only other option is to "Purchase New" for $195 - http://i33.tinypic.com/2sb6cud.jpg

@FlorisWhen I click on the frontpage, I am already logged in, there is no logout option that I can see...

Going back to my original question in my first post, what is stopping me buying vB4 as a new customer and using that on my forums?, I can use my vB 3.8.4 on another site.

Plus it would be cheaper...

-Patrick

Comment

• MPS
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Floris
                  Wasn't there a post saying there's a bug in the system you have to login first from frontpage, then select the product, and it will say what discount you get?
                  I think the frontpage was offline for a while there? When it came back online I was logged out, so I logged in, I didn't see anything about the discount you are talking about, so these seem to be my only options on the purchase page;

1)Purchase New Suite = $235
                  2)Upgrade Existing Suite = $250
                  3)Purchase New Forum Only = $195

Would this be correct?

-Patrick

Comment

• MPS
                    • Aug 2005

Two questions, that I'd like answered please;

These seem to be my only options on the purchase page;

1) Would this be correct?,

&

2) What is stopping me buying vB4 as a new customer and using that on my forums?, I can use my vB 3.8.4 on another site or even sell it, this is a cheaper option if I am correct in looking at the vBulletin pricing structure.

I find this very bizarre, it is like I am been encouraged to a buy the brand new Forum Suite over the upgrade...

Regards,

A very confused vB owned license customer

-Patrick

Comment

• MPS
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MPS
                      Two questions, that I'd like answered please;

These seem to be my only options on the purchase page;

1) Would this be correct?,

&

2) What is stopping me buying vB4 as a new customer and using that on my forums?, I can use my vB 3.8.4 on another site or even sell it, this is a cheaper option if I am correct in looking at the vBulletin pricing structure.

I find this very bizarre, it is like I am been encouraged to a buy the brand new Forum Suite over the upgrade...

Regards,

A very confused vB owned license customer

-Patrick
                      Sorry for bumping this, but I do want to purchase vB4. I just don't understand the pricing, can someone from the vB team please answer my questions above.

Thanks for your time,

-Patrick

Comment

• Webber
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.1.x

And if I own two licenses and lease a 3rd and I upgrade --- do I get OWNED licenses for the already owned vb3 licenses or do I have to pay even more to get "Owned" licenses on the vb4 product?

Comment

• Lucifer1337
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MPS
                          Sorry for bumping this, but I do want to purchase vB4. I just don't understand the pricing, can someone from the vB team please answer my questions above.

Thanks for your time,

-Patrick
                          When you select the upgrade which says $250 next to it, in the next column will show a "$120 discount" so it is in effect $130. So during the promotion period it costs $130 to upgrade or $235 to purchase new. After the promotion period it costs $250 to upgrade and $285 to purchase new. If you intend to buy after the promotional period it makes more sense to just get a new license then, as you say.

Comment

• MPS
                            • Aug 2005

No, it doesn't, there is no discount. Is this a bug or do I have to pay "Purchase New Suite = $235" or "Upgrade Existing Suite = $250", I don't get it...

My owned licence expired 27th August last, I didn't renew it because I was waiting for vB4.

-Patrick

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                              • May 2002
                              • 1.1.x

It's a bug. Active licenses will see $250 on the first page but the discounts will show on the next page. Expired licenses don't have a discount implemented yet - it should be implemented soon as per the announcement by Ray.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...