X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Upgrading from 3.x to 5.x or even 6.x

Hello,

The two week window for the discount might almost be a must if one tries to lower the cost if they desire to go to the publishing suite.

But looking into the future and having to pay for version 5 again, and then version 6, it is smart business to lower the cost by not using the discount offered now, but to skip a version and then another version.

If I have an active owned license at the time version 4 gets released, I can still upgrade the software as 4.x .zip is available in the download area as per current license agreement. So I do not have to upgrade to the version 4 license system.

Instead of upgrading to 4.1 or above, we can stick it out. With Ray's post saying 18 month away for version 5, it's reasonable to wait financially.

The question then is.

Are we able to upgrade from current version 3.x license to version 5.x not having to pay for version 4.x license.

Or will it be more expensive to upgrade from 3 to 5 than 4 to 5?

A fair question since we only have 2 weeks to decide to invest now, or financially benefit later if we don't also have to pay for version 4, when going to 5.

Hope to hear from you way before the end of the month. As this is a pricy decision with multiple licenses.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

It's been over 24 hours and in the meantime I have not accidentally run into the answer in the other threads. So assuming this got lost in the pool, hereby a friendly bump after 24 hours+ hoping for an answer. tnx

Comment

• smooth-c
      • Jan 2008
      • 3.8.x

I'd be interested to know this also.

*things don't seem professional around here*

Comment

• Ray Morgan
        Former vBulletin General Manager
        • Sep 2008
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
        Are we able to upgrade from current version 3.x license to version 5.x not having to pay for version 4.x license.
        Floris, this post may answer some of your questions. In short, it is way too far in advance to speculate about versions 5 or 6. However, I would say that given the challenge involved with changing license structures, the new 4.x license framework is likely to remain in place going forward, meaning that renewals will not be required and there will be upgrade discounts for qualifying owners. Beyond that, it's just way too far out to have nailed down any concrete details.

Comment

• Shelby
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Ray Morgan
          Floris, this post may answer some of your questions. In short, it is way too far in advance to speculate about versions 5 or 6. However, I would say that given the challenge involved with changing license structures, the new 4.x license framework is likely to remain in place going forward, meaning that renewals will not be required and there will be upgrade discounts for qualifying owners. Beyond that, it's just way too far out to have nailed down any concrete details.
          What's the cost to upgrade from 4.0 Forum to 4.0 Suite?

Why no discount for owning addons?

Comment

• iardon
            • Jun 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Shelby
            What's the cost to upgrade from 4.0 Forum to 4.0 Suite?

Why no discount for owning addons?
            Yes, Ray, please consider a discount for owning addons. Do you not feel that it would be the right thing to do?
            DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

• crichighlights
              • Feb 2009
              • 3.8.x

I assume there will not discount for those who migrate from VB 3 to VB 5. Although VB 4 to VB 5 will be attached with Discount.

So, its like paying 130$, and 130$ later (at release of VB5), or you have option of renewal at the time of VB 5 from VB 3 at 250$. So assuming this, we have renew now only.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Thank you Ray !

Comment

• JulianD
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.8.x

Hi Ray, can you speculate (or say) what do you mean by "qualifying owners"?
                  ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

• Bigblah
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 3.5.x

...considering the 4.x license doesn't require renewal, wouldn't any owner be a "qualifying" owner?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...