Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjcallas
    • Mar 2007

Kindly requesting a demo of vB 4.0 Suite

First I want to thank the vBulletin team for the time and effort put in to taking the huge leap from 3.x to 4.0. I am really interested in upgrading to 4.0 suite and want to take advantage of the pre-sales offer, but like many here I would like to see a demo site of the 4.0 suite alpha before I purchase. This would allow us to get a better feel of what is being offered and whether or not 4.0's offering's cater to what our websites need.

I understand that this deep discount is being offered for those "loyal" customers who will stick to vB no matter what, but isn't backing up this discount with a few scattered screenshots and a feature list a bit questionable? Even the auto industry creates shows off a green-lighted concept car to the public while touting its features before taking any pre-orders. You don't see them taking pre-orders simply on artist sketches and promises of what they will try to fit in the machine.

I'm not saying to give people full access to the 4.0 backend. However, demonstrating visually what vB 4.0 is capable of doing and capable of promising will go a great length in curbing angry and unsatisfied pre-sales customers. Offering a pre-sales discount on an unseen and untested product would cause more problems for vB from the customers who ponied up the cash. It would hurt the company image and it also is just down right bad business to do such a thing.

I urge the vB team to provide the community with some sort of demonstration of the 4.0 alpha before the end of the month deadline, even if it is a contained and limited demonstration. Give us a feel of what to expect from the CMS, the forum, the gallery, etc by giving us some sort of hands-on experience for us to determine if the suite or just the forum is right for us. Many people run vB as their forum side-by-side with a CMS. Paying $150 now to find out that their current CMS is superior to vB 4.0's will leave a pretty bad taste in one's mouth. Remember, it's the unhappy minority that is the most vocal, and people tend to hear the most vocal ones in a group, regardless of the overall picture.

Thank you.
  • SnitchSeeker
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.8.x

Here here. I agree 100%. but... did you say "gallery"? I wasn't aware one was included...

Comment

• The Gismo Man
      • Apr 2008

Agreed, i certainly won't be parting with any of my cash until i see this forum using the VB4 suite
      https://thebookjoint.com/forums/forum.php - for all things relating to books especially Jack Reacher

Comment

• pahvi
        Banned
        • Jul 2009
        • 3.8.x

I guess it's in the workings as we speak.
        If I remember correctly, this is the old link to the demo-site

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by SnitchSeeker
          Here here. I agree 100%. but... did you say "gallery"? I wasn't aware one was included...
          A gallery is not included, no.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• xxalexkimxx
            • Jun 2008
            • 3.8.x

Thank you sjcallas for speaking this out. As myself, I would really want to see a live demo, too. Not just screen shots.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by xxalexkimxx
              Thank you sjcallas for speaking this out. As myself, I would really want to see a live demo, too. Not just screen shots.
              Don't hold your breath, they can't even get the promised screenshots up.

You only have until 30th October to get the discounted price, don't expect to see a live demo until after then.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• xxalexkimxx
                • Jun 2008
                • 3.8.x

How sad is that??
                I see that in this post, they have a Demo link, but it isn't working. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181384

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by xxalexkimxx
                  How sad is that??
                  I see that in this post, they have a Demo link, but it isn't working. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181384
                  Yes, it's just one of many things on the new site that wasn't ready at launch.

They rushed this whole presale nonsense, nothing was ready. It's worrying - it's like they needed the money desperately for some reason.

The more I think about it, the worse it sounds.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• guerob
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Nasdaq:inet

Comment

• Snowman872
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by sjcallas
                      Give us a feel of what to expect from the CMS, the forum, the gallery, etc by giving us some sort of hands-on experience for us to determine if the suite or just the forum is right for us. Many people run vB as their forum side-by-side with a CMS. Paying $150 now to find out that their current CMS is superior to vB 4.0's will leave a pretty bad taste in one's mouth. Remember, it's the unhappy minority that is the most vocal, and people tend to hear the most vocal ones in a group, regardless of the overall picture.
                      This is one of my major concerns. I actually am very interested in having a CMS integrate with my forum, however I am truly very skeptical that the vBulletin CMS offering will come anywhere close to other mature CMS packages already available for free or at a low cost. I was very disappointed in how the blogs were implemented. Does anyone think the vBulletin blog holds a candle to Wordpress? I don't even think the vBulletin blog even looks like a blog and although it has been available for several years now, it still isn't integrated very well with the forum IMHO. If the vBulletin CMS solution is subpar, it may not make sense for us to upgrade to the suite. It is an unfair sales tactic not to allow us to properly evaluate the new version if we want the best price.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Snowman872
                        This is one of my major concerns. I actually am very interested in having a CMS integrate with my forum, however I am truly very skeptical that the vBulletin CMS offering will come anywhere close to other mature CMS packages already available for free or at a low cost. I was very disappointed in how the blogs were implemented. Does anyone think the vBulletin blog holds a candle to Wordpress? I don't even think the vBulletin blog even looks like a blog and although it has been available for several years now, it still isn't integrated very well with the forum IMHO. If the vBulletin CMS solution is subpar, it may not make sense for us to upgrade to the suite. It is an unfair sales tactic not to allow us to properly evaluate the new version if we want the best price.
                        Of course, it's not going to be mature at launch - one of the devs did point out at some point that the first iteration is not going to do everything that the mature applications can do, but the cpability will be there and it will grow, mature and expand.

I think that's realistic, but I suspect some people are going to be disappointed with the initial release. But again the company are quite open about all of this, it's not like they are pretending it's the all singing, all dancing product some are expecting.

It probably will be though, in due course, as it matures.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• Snowman872
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          Of course, it's not going to be mature at launch - one of the devs did point out at some point that the first iteration is not going to do everything that the mature applications can do, but the cpability will be there and it will grow, mature and expand.

I think that's realistic, but I suspect some people are going to be disappointed with the initial release. But again the company are quite open about all of this, it's not like they are pretending it's the all singing, all dancing product some are expecting.

It probably will be though, in due course, as it matures.
                          Especially as the price for vBulletin continues to rise, I really don't want to hear this. vBulletin developers should be fully aware of what features are included in existing CMS packages out there and realize that's the yardstick they will be measured against. Why publish a pricey "pay to play" CMS system that is crippled compared to open source offerings already out there? Will vBulletin users really be satisfied with a relatively weak CMS simply to have better integration with a message board? Or, would it be wiser to simply make a more robust CMS the centerpiece of one's website and relegate the forum as a specialized add on?

This is the type of issue that all of us are facing -- and forced to think about RIGHT NOW due to the absurdly short time frame of the "pre-sale." But as discussed above, we can't really make an intelligent decision since the software is being hidden from us.
                          Last edited by Snowman872; Wed 21 Oct '09, 1:12am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Especially as the price for vBulletin continues to rise, I really don't want to hear this. vBulletin developers should be fully aware of what features are included in existing CMS packages out there and realize that's the yardstick they will be measured against. Why publish a pricey "pay to play" CMS system that is crippled compared to open source offerings already out there? Will vBulletin users really be satisfied with that simply to have better integration?
                            I don't think it's crippled. It just isn't going to have the huge list of addons that the existing solutions have. It will do though, in time, both official and via vbulletin.org.

I don't think there's any way they can make it "complete" like that in an instant, it has to build up.

If I was actually going to use it, this wouldn't be a concern for me.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

Especially as the price for vBulletin continues to rise, I really don't want to hear this. vBulletin developers should be fully aware of what features are included in existing CMS packages out there and realize that's the yardstick they will be measured against. Why publish a pricey "pay to play" CMS system that is crippled compared to open source offerings already out there? Will vBulletin users really be satisfied with a relatively weak CMS simply to have better integration with a message board? Or, would it be wiser to simply make a more robust CMS the centerpiece of one's website and relegate the forum as a specialized add on?

This is the type of issue that all of us are facing -- and forced to think about RIGHT NOW due to the absurdly short time frame of the "pre-sale." But as discussed above, we can't really make an intelligent decision since the software is being hidden from us.

i welcome the suite. my site right now is a bit hard to work on.

i have to edit many files to get my new galleries online as it is right now.

the video gallery script i have is less than what i wanted and i had to pay for it and no support came with that price.

i have no cms eather and a single login would be better than having to log into different places to work on my site to make the forums and main site to look similar in color theme.

there are many pros IMHO

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...