X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AVC
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

Plugin producers will update their CMS and other hack packages for vB 4 forum software, you have nothing to worry about as long as vB keeps making a stand alone forum software package.

We use vBadvanced products, their link directory is great, so as long as there is a stand alone vB forum package you all will be fine using plugins developed for the forum engine.

Comment

• Loco.M
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.5.x

It's not suprising that people are mad
      raise the price
      take away rights

have a drink and relax
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ar-K-ic
        We are not talking about a massive upgrade cost... 10 bucks a month... If you are unable raise 10 bucks a month from your "loyal" registered users, why you even running a website?

People are starting to make it sound as though Free Enterprise means you get something for free!!
        Because not everyone has the sort of users than can or will make donations. Simple as that.

You cannot possibly state that running a website where there is not possibility of donations is not legitimate. My site is like that, and has been running for over seven years. You're assuming that everyone who runs a website does so for money - that's so obviously not the case I can't believe you have seriously suggested it.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
          have a drink and relax
          will be 5 bucks for a beer, 6 for a shooter...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• AVC
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 3.5.x

Some of these people think money grows on trees.

I think a lot of folks have their heads in the sand, we are in the worst economic crisis since the great depression of the late 1920's with mountains of debt, banks just went broke and we bailed them out with money we do not have.

IB managers need to wake up to reality, we are not cash cows for them so IB executives can be bailed out, in fact, reality is this, a lot of us are going to leave as customers of IB due to this ill advised update and license change strategy.

Comment

• Fred Weiss
              • Oct 2003
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kyrgyz
              What did you expect when learned about vB CMS development? With so many CMS out there, how vB Team is supposed to know which one is being used by every single vB license holder. What kind of help they could offer?

Get real, man. With major product changes there are costs and risks for end customers. That's expected.
              You're kidding right? I've been using vbPortal since 2003. Six years later, vBulletin finally gets around to providing the same or similar functionality and they are clueless as to how to access and import the data that has accumulated. It sits in the same MySql database!

There are costs and risks to vBulletin also ... like clients such as me who will be forced to balk at any further upgrades even though we would like them because of the lack of help and support from vBulletin.
              Fred Weiss
              Signs101.com
              [email protected]

Comment

• AVC
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

I think it is time to do nothing for all vB forum owners, the best thing we can all do is wait for a few months, keep our current versions running the best we can and watch all the other forum software producers respond to this vB situation, I'm sure many opportunities and options will present themselves very soon for all of us.

We will then be able to make an informed decision on forum software platforms, some will stick with vB, many others will move their forums to a new platform in the next few months, this may in fact be a great opportunity for many of us as the smoke clears.

Comment

• KAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MrEyes
                  Almost no whining from me, at the end of the day the over time lifecycle costs are near as dammit exactly the same as they were.

However, notice the "almost" part of the statement above....

Since VB4 was originally announced I intended to upgrade to the full publishing suite once I could see it working with my own eyes and more "bleeding edge" administrators had put it through it's paces. At the end of the day, other than the odd screenshot, the elephant in the room is that nobody outside the closed circle of developers/testers has seen VB4 in action. As administrator of a number of large sites, IMHO it is extremely sensible to wait until others have seen and used VB4.

However, the current "loyal customer" discounts only apply until the end of this month, and it is extremely unlikely that VB4 will be released before then. So in essence we are being asked to buy into what is, from my customer perspective, vapourware. I am being asked to buy into a product that from my point of view does not exist, nor is there any indication of when it will exist. You might reply saying that screenshots and descriptions should be more than enough, my response is that not, absolutely not.

Now I have a choice to make:
                  • Cross my fingers and hope that VB4 will be what I hope it will be, invest in the vapourware and save $120.
                  • Wait until it is released and lose the saving if VB4 is as good as they say it is, or save $250+ by not buying it at all if VB4 turns out to be a damp squib.

My thoughts exactly, the cost doesn’t bother me to a certain extent. Not to keen on the price/ licence changes...but that’s life/business!

My licence expires in a few mths (well less) and to take up the offer before October 30th doesn’t give me much time to plan and think if it’s really worth it?

How am I supposed to adapt to the changes in using product and bring my community to use it on a daily basis based on just screen shots? No demo to test on? Then theirs the design aspect, is it going to be worth the time and money? Just not enough information, and way little time.

Comment

• dotpeddler
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by AVC
                    I am, it is completely closed until IB comes up with a VERY FAVORABLE LONG TERM CONTRACT FOR EXISTING LICENSE OWNERS WITH MULTIPLE OWNED LICENSES.

If IB can not do this, I already have plans to move all my forums to phpBB.
                    That's hilarious. I'd venture a guess that many Vb owners likely came from phpbb -- actually, ran from it -- because of the spam and security issues.

You get what you pay for.

As I said before, if you don't want to pay for it, don't. Walk away. You'll end up with nothing less than you have right now. Vb could just go belly up and leave the world at their current version and the situation would be the same. If you want the new stuff, pay for it.

If you want the old stuff, stick with it.

Quite simple and nothing to ***** about.

Comment

• NoeJeko
                      • Apr 2008

You know, this is just childish. If I were running this forum I would have banned many of these people for the posts here.

Regardless of your ('your' being the "OMG IB KEELED MAH INTARWEBZ" people) feelings on the new pricing model and the controversial marketing email, this is flat-out trolling. Seriously, people -- the team here has enough to do and I've been following this 3-ring circus act for 2 days now. It's getting ridiculous.

You're not happy with the new pricing model. Who is? I mean, it makes no sense to sell a product that no one has seen yet. There are, however, more professional and tactful ways of dealing with this.

1) Don't do it. Plain, simple, and effective. If you're so unhappy with what Jelsoft has done then just don't buy the early upgrade option. If you like the product then pay for it once you can test it. "But NoeJeko! I'll have to pay more!" Yup, you will and so will I because I'm choosing this option for myself. At the end of the day it comes down to value add. If vB4 adds the value they're promising then it'll be well worth the upgrade value.

Remember that enterprise-class portals, such a Liferay portal, have 5 digit pricetags attached. The $300 for a vB 4 Publishing Suite is pennies against a $20,000 enterprise software agreement.

2) Bite the bullet and take a risk. Shell out our money now hoping they deliver on the promises. Is it a risk? Yes. But if you're that concerned over the $130 you'll save then you should probably go ahead and buy it now. After all, for the amount of time I've been with Jelsoft they have consistently delivered a quality product that met or exceeded my expectations in most aspects. At the end of the day it's your call to make.

3) Abandon ship! You can take this opportunity to go buy IPB or whatever other forum solution fits your fancy. If you're that dissatisfied with vBulletin because of this poorly planned campaign then stop posting 10,000 threads about it and just go buy another solution. Keep in mind that you'll have to migrate your data, lose your search engine rankings, break linkbacks, etc. For those with boards of 1,000 members or less this may not be such a task. For those with boards of 20,000+ members and almost 800,000 posts you may want to re-think this strategy.

Bottom line is that there are more professional and more effective tactics to making your complaints known than just whining about it like a bunch of spoiled little kids. I would personally prefer that the vBulletin team get their butts coding so that I can test drive this new product than I would see them replying to all the "BAW BAW BAW" being posted here.

It's also impossible to get an answer on the more interesting threads because of all this garbage.

Comment

• Ian99
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by AVC
                        I am, it is completely closed until IB comes up with a VERY FAVORABLE LONG TERM CONTRACT FOR EXISTING LICENSE OWNERS WITH MULTIPLE OWNED LICENSES.

If IB can not do this, I already have plans to move all my forums to phpBB.
                        At least pick something decent

Comment

• dotpeddler
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by patrick6411
                          I'm not whining at all. I'm plane old pissed. I just purchased the software and asked about when 4.0 was coming out. I feel as though I was lied to. I also do not agree to the new TOS for 4.0 I'm not in Ca nor are my servers. Nor do I even know CA law. So I feel like I have a right to *****. So you worry about you and I will worry about me. Go to Digitalpoint and make those kind of posts where you will earn brownie points. Also you have been a webmaster for a decade congrats. I still remember DOS. That will tell you how long I've been in the game.
                          I've been running forums for over a decade...been online since 1991.

I'm not saying a recent purchaser doesn't have a gripe. I bought 2 licenses myself since Aug 25th. I get that.

But vB is no different than any other business. They do what they gotta do and everyone else here will do what they have to do in response. It's those who picket and hold polls, suggesting that if they scream loud enough anything could or would change. That just ain't going to happen.

As for those who claim they changed the TOS, well, again, we're ignorant sheep. Like everyone else, I never read the TOS when I bought it but I'd bet my left nut that it pretty much says they can change their TOS to whatever they want any time they want. They pretty much make those things water tight or else we wouldn't have to click through them when we buy.

It just saddens me to see so many immature and unprofessional people in this business act like such complete idiots.

Comment

• nexialys
                            • May 2004
                            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by NoeJeko
                            You know, this is just childish. If I were running this forum I would have banned many of these people for the posts here.
                            the problem is that all these drama queens are clients, they paid for their license, so they deserve respect, even among other clients that would likely kick their butt way more than what we see actually...
                            oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• AVC
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dotpeddler

It just saddens me to see so many immature and unprofessional people in this business act like such complete idiots.
                              Quite simple and nothing to ***** about.
                              Roll over then man and take it like a boy !!!!

Comment

• NoeJeko
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by nexialys
                                the problem is that all these drama queens are clients, they paid for their license, so they deserve respect, even among other clients that would likely kick their butt way more than what we see actually...
                                Client or not, this is uncalled for. If you're a customer of Wal-mart and you start picketing the store, trashing aisles, and threatening the employees because they pissed you off then law enforcement will promptly remove you from the premises. Client or not, there is a right and wrong way to address concerns and what the majority of these "drama queens" are doing is the equivalent of slander and vandalism.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...