X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dotpeddler
    • Aug 2007
    • 3.6.x

Unbelievable whining

I cannot believe the whining going on here. So typical of the webmaster world -- cheap or want something for nothing.

Vb4 is a new product -- totally new. vb3, if you own it, is going to be mothballed. You can either stay or move on. Costs are what they are.

Vb is also a business. They know what they need to do to keep eating.

We also run businesses. We have a choice. We stay or we go. Just do what you're going to do based upon what is right for your business. For me, I own several owned licenses. Some projects look right for moving on to vb4, others no.

Yes, I'll look at IPB and others as options at this point since I'm going to have to do all this work anyway. Big deal, that's business. Ultimately, I have to choose what's right for my site users, not vb and certainly not me.

A couple of hundred dollars difference isn't going to matter in the long run if what you get in return is a more stable platform engineered for growth over the next several years. I've been at this more than a decade and have never regretted upgrading and adding new options for my site users. My revenue has grown through-out a million fold since we started. This kind of thing is just part of it all.

Stop the whining and decide what's right for you. Votes? C'mon, this isn't a democracy. Vote with your wallets.
  • Blackbook
    • May 2009

I stopped reading after 'totally new'. It isn't new. Its made up of the vb3 script. Plese learn something if you're going to tell others ****.
    It's an omen...

Comment

• SecondV
      • May 2006
      • 3.8.x

One major change with vB4 is moving to MVC - it won't be the same code as vB3.
      Regards,
      Eric Sizemore

My modifications

Comment

• alfisti.net
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

It was the decision of vbulletin to offer a owned licence and a annual fee for maintance!
        Nobody forced vbulletin to offer this!!

And if the millions of dollar of annual sales are not enough, they have to increase the prices for annual sales by a normal way.
        But changeing the condition or rules by this way is the worst/stupid idea of the year!

Comment

• voiponline
          • Oct 2007

I am not complaining because as a business owner I have found it impossible to have people work on a project for a year for free.

Comment

• CarterMarkham
            • Apr 2008

I agree, thread after thread of whining and repeated complaints, and I bet most pepole will end up buying anyway. I myself have already purchased the $130 suite.

I have looked at IPB but I am sticking with VBulletin - the best forum software out there IMO.

I've been trying to help with people questions but they are never ending...

Comment

• mlx
              • Jan 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dotpeddler
              Vb4 is a new product -- totally new.
              I don't think that vB4 is all that totally new at all. It's just some refactored code and it's even using the same old AdminCP, doesn't it?
              Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

• Dio
                • Apr 2005

I cannot believe the whining going on here. So typical of the webmaster world -- cheap or want something for nothing.
                Utter nonsense - we all pay here. If we wanted something free or cheap we would be whining on the PHPBB boards, not the vBulletin one. As a webmaster I am much happier paying for a reliable service than I am using a free one that could go tits up at any point. Paying is one thing, having the pish taken is another.

A lot of people run vB in a not for profit manner. Not everyone makes a millionfold increase in their earnings by using it. It would be nice, but a lot of people use vB for hobby sites simply because they love the software. It's a lot for people to swallow, and to deny this with a grandstanding 'I'm alright Jack' attitude doesn't help.

Comment

• Deimos
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 3.8.x

You're a fool if you really believe that
                  If we wanted something cheap, or for free, none of us would've purchased Vbulletin at all, not in the past, or the present.

Comment

• The Notorious
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.5.x

LMAO, isn't this thread whining about others "whinings"?

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by The Notorious
                      LMAO, isn't this thread whining about others "whinings"?
                      Aye, aren't you LMAO'ing at the whiners who are whining about the whiners who whined originally?

Comment

• nexialys
                        • May 2004
                        • 1.1.x

having the whining today will let the guys rest a little when the release is at the door, the arguments will be given and the exhaustion will be done...

Wayne is the first to popup today, he is the one to read all and everything, and his answers are all solid. so give him/them a little time to give the answers...
                        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• cbiweb
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.1.x

Vb4 is a new product -- totally new. vb3, if you own it, is going to be mothballed. You can either stay or move on. Costs are what they are.

Vb is also a business. They know what they need to do to keep eating.

We also run businesses. We have a choice. We stay or we go. Just do what you're going to do based upon what is right for your business. For me, I own several owned licenses. Some projects look right for moving on to vb4, others no.

...that's business. Ultimately, I have to choose what's right for my site users, not vb and certainly not me.

A couple of hundred dollars difference isn't going to matter in the long run if what you get in return is a more stable platform engineered for growth over the next several years. I've...never regretted upgrading and adding new options for my site users. My revenue has grown... This kind of thing is just part of it all.

Stop the whining and decide what's right for you. Votes? C'mon, this isn't a democracy. Vote with your wallets.
                          I'm with you on the parts of your post I quoted that are relevant to me as well. And I was about to post a thread similar to this myself, so you just saved me some typing.

Call me insane, but I'm not one to analyze these things much further than the ultimate question: Can I do this right now or not? If I can't, I deal with it and move forward. I plan to keep using vBulletin for as long as it exists, and just need to roll with the changes. My budget doesn't allow for taking advantage of the special offer, but there's no way I'm NOT upgrading to vb4 eventually.

Jelsoft... IB... whoever's running the show... are going to run their business the way they see fit. It's fine for their customers to speak up about things they don't like, but a lynch mob is just ridiculous. Since yesterday there have been tons of threads that pretty much say the same thing. But of course every individual wants to have their own soapbox, so let's start a new thread instead of discussing the issues in a thread that's already there.

There's a mob mentality going on, and it's safe because it's on a computer screen. Well, it's also extremely annoying. I check these forums each day to see if I can help anyone, not to see what I can see every day in real life - endless *****ing.
                          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• ar-K-ic
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Dio
                            A lot of people run vB in a not for profit manner. Not everyone makes a millionfold increase in their earnings by using it. It would be nice, but a lot of people use vB for hobby sites simply because they love the software. It's a lot for people to swallow, and to deny this with a grandstanding 'I'm alright Jack' attitude doesn't help.
                            We are not talking about a massive upgrade cost... 10 bucks a month... If you are unable raise 10 bucks a month from your "loyal" registered users, why you even running a website?

People are starting to make it sound as though Free Enterprise means you get something for free!!

Comment

• MrEyes
                              • Nov 2004

Almost no whining from me, at the end of the day the over time lifecycle costs are near as dammit exactly the same as they were.

However, notice the "almost" part of the statement above....

Since VB4 was originally announced I intended to upgrade to the full publishing suite once I could see it working with my own eyes and more "bleeding edge" administrators had put it through it's paces. At the end of the day, other than the odd screenshot, the elephant in the room is that nobody outside the closed circle of developers/testers has seen VB4 in action. As administrator of a number of large sites, IMHO it is extremely sensible to wait until others have seen and used VB4.

However, the current "loyal customer" discounts only apply until the end of this month, and it is extremely unlikely that VB4 will be released before then. So in essence we are being asked to buy into what is, from my customer perspective, vapourware. I am being asked to buy into a product that from my point of view does not exist, nor is there any indication of when it will exist. You might reply saying that screenshots and descriptions should be more than enough, my response is that not, absolutely not.

Now I have a choice to make:
                              • Cross my fingers and hope that VB4 will be what I hope it will be, invest in the vapourware and save $120.
                              • Wait until it is released and lose the saving if VB4 is as good as they say it is, or save $250+ by not buying it at all if VB4 turns out to be a damp squib.
                              Last edited by MrEyes; Wed 14 Oct '09, 6:17am.
                              This is a signature, with a picture

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...