I upgraded to 4.0 Publishing Suite - where's my product??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by copiertalk
    They can not update and satisfy the commitment to allow people to purchase a product on their own server and you want them to give you software to run your forums? Are you people nuts? Why would you pay someone that can not even get a basic website to bill for a product down to pre-order the "next level" of forum solutions.

I am not happy about the choices they have made about the customer relations but if this blunder of an announcement added on top of the previous one just goes to reinforce my commitment to seek software alternatives as soon as my license expires.

Yeeah, lets release half done, half complete software. But before we release it and dissapoint everyone, lets take their money first.
    There is no half done half released product. It's in development and released when done.

Don't start rumors on facts you don't have. That's not helping anybody.

Once you have it and you review it and think it is half done, and released too early (despite everybody begging for it). Then you can claim in your opinion it to be half of what you wish it would be.

I understand the frustration though, it's in my world ridiculous for any company to offer a product and ask for money prior to release or information. I don't know what motivates companies to do that. (This is not a stab at IB, but general business) But it is clear, it says: PRE-ORDER. And it's not uncommon, and it's also not uncommon for pre-orders to come with a sale to earn some trust from their buyers.

You're free not to take the pre-order and wait until you can play with a demo.

In a more realistic world, there would have been a demo to show you're confident in your product and sneak peak buyers to go pre-order it. So they have an impression of what they're investing into (again, pointing at general business). Online software seems to do it quite a bit these days, 'we are working on a new thing, we tell you nothing'. I don't know why.

Comment

• thunderclap
      • Dec 2008
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Xocide
      It took a while for vB4, and now that it's here, no one likes it and are pretty much pissed off at the prices.
      Who is no one? The same people who are continuously complaining here? I'll bet there are a lot more people who like it that are just sitting and watching the comedy here.

Here is why I am happy with vBulletin 4. First: I currently have a lease that expires at the end of November. I could then either a.) spend $100 to renew the lease for another year, or b.) spend $180 to license the lease + $60/year thereafter for upgrades. At $130 for a full Suite package plus now annual upgrade fee this is a steal.

Second: I currently use vBadvanced CMPS as sort of a front-end to my forum. While it's good it looks cluttered. I have been trying to find something that is more elegant that could be incorporated into vBulletin. vBulletin 4 Suite looks like it could be it.

So... I'm very happy.

Comment

• thunderclap
        • Dec 2008
        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by DragonlordP
        No, I'm just saying that the new licensing system is a bit unfair to those of us with an owned licence.
        I don't see how. It would be unfair if this were the pricing for the standalone forum perhaps, but considering this is a full social web development suite and incorporates a lot of new features and design elements I think it's very fair.

Comment

• copiertalk
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
          There is no half done half released product. It's in development and released when done.

Don't start rumors on facts you don't have. That's not helping anybody.

Once you have it and you review it and think it is half done, and released too early (despite everybody begging for it). Then you can claim in your opinion it to be half of what you wish it would be.

I understand the frustration though, it's in my world ridiculous for any company to offer a product and ask for money prior to release or information. I don't know what motivates companies to do that. (This is not a stab at IB, but general business) But it is clear, it says: PRE-ORDER. And it's not uncommon, and it's also not uncommon for pre-orders to come with a sale to earn some trust from their buyers.

In a more realistic world, there would have been a demo to show you're confident in your product and sneak peak buyers to go pre-order it. So they have an impression of what they're investing into (again, pointing at general business). Online software seems to do it quite a bit these days, 'we are working on a new thing, we tell you nothing'. I don't know why.
          When I see this

There currently seems to be a bug on the site. To ensure existing active customers get pre-sale discount pricing, ensure you log in with your customer number and password on the new vbulletin.com site 'customer login' link at http://www.vbulletin.com/login.php as pictured below. We're looking into the issue from members area logins.

The discounted pre-sales price is only shown once you select the US$250 option from drop down menu. See below screenshot

it reminds me of a sloppy job not done too long ago by some of the other coders/staff and it seems to be a repetiotive action that keeps taking place. If this is what we are to expect from the release of the software and this is indeed what is represented by months of work I am looking back at the false hope implied with the blog and self destructing project tools.

Do not speak for me. I will tell what I think is sloppy work as has been the norm here for several months and is just being emphasised by this newest level of a disaster they are calling a release.
          www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

• jtech77
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by zeloreo
            There's a reason why they called it PRE-release

vB's a good product and it's made by a reputable company who has been around a very long time.

Lots of people here seem to think the whole pre-release idea is a sham to get us to pay for something that will never exist.

While I would like to see an expected release date, I am also going to spend my $130 and lock in my price, and I think that you did the right thing when you locked in your price.

We should be glad that Jelsoft is trying to put together a quality product even if it takes too long, instead of rushing to release a bug-ridden product we would regret buying. And the pre-release offer is a considerable discount that we should also be glad to get.

Since I just purchased an owned version of vBulletin (no blogs or anything) on August 21st would it be a good thing for me to spent the money for this? I use wordpress and dont'know if I need the CMS...or blogs. Thanks

Comment

• tgcsniper
              • Dec 2008
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by copiertalk
              When I see this

it reminds me of a sloppy job not done too long ago by some of the other coders/staff and it seems to be a repetiotive action that keeps taking place. If this is what we are to expect from the release of the software and this is indeed what is represented by months of work I am looking back at the false hope implied with the blog and self destructing project tools.

Do not speak for me. I will tell what I think is sloppy work as has been the norm here for several months and is just being emphasised by this newest level of a disaster they are calling a release.
              You sir, are an idiot.

75% of those whining have actually pre-ordered it. So that means 25% of those whining have nothing to whine about. Oh wait, this remindes me of the release of vb3...

Im quite happy with the screenshots they have shown us, and thats enough for me...

But whats so sloppy about it? I think it looks quite nice, and its about time with front page got a change... geez... grow the f*ck up, and stop whining... put your money where your mouth is and be quiet.
              Last edited by tgcsniper; Wed 14 Oct '09, 5:21pm.
              http://portal.thetgc.org/

Comment

• roscoe36
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Floris

The thing is, it is not a pre-order. I've done pre-orders before. You have an estimated delivery date on a pre-order. IB is making no promise of when our order will be filled, and AFAICT, no indication what the refund policy is if it is January and they still have not delivered a product.

Comment

• Sierra Oscar
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Thats why its called a "pre-purchase" . . .

Comment

• Michael2
                    • Oct 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sierra Oscar
                    Thats why its called a "pre-purchase" . . .
                    Nope. See the screenshot just a few posts above yours.
                    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• tgcsniper
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Michael2
                      Nope. See the screenshot just a few posts above yours.
                      Pre-Order and Pre-Purchase a pretty much the same thing...
                      http://portal.thetgc.org/

Comment

• Michael2
                        • Oct 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Yeah, I think he is agreeing, I read it the wrong way at first.
                        HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                        Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                        iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                        VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• woffie
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by RedHotChili
                          Jelsoft has nothing to do with pricing and shouldn't be blamed for it.

IB is running the show here, and has been since the day Jelsoft sold out to them and abdicated all responsibility for selling and marketing the product.

All this well deserved acrimony should be directed at IB.
                          Step away from the crack pipe! VB is not owned by IPB!

Comment

• theologyonline
                            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by woffie
                            Step away from the crack pipe! VB is not owned by IPB!
                            Maybe your smoking the crack pipe? IB is Internet Brands, the company that owns vBulletin.
                            Discuss and debate theology at TheologyOnline.com

Comment

• woffie
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 4.0.x

I purchased the upgrade and am happy with it. I will wait patiently for 4.0 to come out. I like that the CMS and Blog are part of the package. As an owner of forums of both IPB 3.0 and Vbulletin 3.8 let me say that I can't wait for 4.0 to be released! 3.8 VB is better than the new release from IPB! I said this earlier on an IPB site "The only thing that IPB has over Vbulletin is Skins made by Dragonfly!".

Just incase anyone thinks I don't own both the addresses are

Domain for Sale. FaithAndFellowship.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

Comment

• woffie
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 4.0.x

Originally posted by theologyonline
                                Maybe your smoking the crack pipe? IB is Internet Brands, the company that owns vBulletin.
                                Sorry, I thought you meant IB as in Invision Power Boards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...