vBulletin 4.0 Suite & vBulletin 4.0 Forum POLL

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedudleys
    • Feb 2008

Already have an owned license, why should we pay even more than we did for the owned license to begin with for another license or if the upgrade fee applies of $130(Pre-sale Price then its $250) to even those with expired licenses or in the even that it will not apply to those who already have licenses but are expired the the 'new license' fee which is $235 (Pre-sale Price then its $285). In which case will have to be paid every time a new big release comes out like after Vb4 then Vb5, another $250 or $285 again depending upon your situation (they skip versions mind you). Frankly think that is way out there.

Comment

• Ranger375
      • Aug 2006
      • 4.0.x

The only reason I paid for updates for the blog, was because VB pitched it as merely the starting point of something better. There were plenty of complaints regarding the blog and its features when it first came out. VB constantly said that it would be improved with future releases. Why would I spend the money on purchasing the addon, as well as the updates for something that didn't change as we were told it would? It was essentially a waste of money in my opinion.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by therczone
        They give us free updates for the entire 4.x series, but remove the customer support. 1 step forward, 1 step back. Their biggest expense is probably paying the support techs. Drastically reduce the amount of support techs needed (since the majority of free support will cease to exist), and save money! So they're saving money, and charging us 600% more for a few new features in vB4 which cost them a few thousand dollars (pennies compared to what they earn) in paying coders.
        Kind of a fallacy statement without the actual knowledge to back it up.

Most customers do not use the support ticket system at all. A great majority that do only do so in the first 30 days. After that a lot of it is account changes, which would still have to go through the support system for the foreseeable future. The Suite also includes support ticket access for the life of the product

All licenses still get forum support. Support technicians will still be answering questions in the forums, probably more so, and there aren't really that many of us and never have been. We've always run a small support group.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

Absolutely not. Get off this sinking ship.

Comment

• kyrgyz
            • Oct 2007

Wayne Luke, could you clarify on the upgrade fee after current license expires. Please, read message below:

Originally posted by Typical Gamer
            Well, wont there be multiple updates to vB4.0? Such as 4.1, 4.2, etc. If those are released after my 11 months then I am shafted and need to purchase the $195 license.

"As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my current license expires, can I continue to get upgrades on the 4 series?
            No. You will have to purchase an upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series."

ALSO, I have only purchased vBulletin a month ago, do you think it would be possible to contact support, tack on the extra $15 and get v4 with lifetime updates?

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

See my signature. Active license now means you have a "temporary visitor's pass" to vB4. Once that is expired, you are starting from scratch. $175 or $195. And then another $130 or $175 or $195 for vB5.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                • Oct 2007

Shoot. That's a bad news. I mistakenly thought once you buy vB4 Suite, Forum comes with it till the next vB5 release (for active license holders). What about that hoopla that Forum upgrade is free? Marketing gimmick?

Comment

• El Burro
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 3.7.x

Yeah the whole thing stinks.

Problem is that they've worked out that they can make more cash long term doing it this way. They employed someone to do the sales projections.

They've calculated a small percentage of us will be angry and move on but they don't care about this - collateral damage.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

A thought occurred to me that has never occurred to me in 8 years of sticking with vBulletin: I'm looking at IPB.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by feldon23
                      A thought occurred to me that has never occurred to me in 8 years of sticking with vBulletin: I'm looking at IPB.
                      I've requested a demo.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by El Burro
                        Yeah the whole thing stinks.

Problem is that they've worked out that they can make more cash long term doing it this way. They employed someone to do the sales projections.

They've calculated a small percentage of us will be angry and move on but they don't care about this - collateral damage.
                        I said this many months ago but was shot down in flames.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• obmob
                          • Sep 2001

At first glance it looks really expensive.
                          Currently working on:
                          Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
                          Osito Barrigón - Winnie Pooh y sus Amigos

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...