Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therczone
    • Sep 2004

vBulletin 4.0 Suite & vBulletin 4.0 Forum POLL

Please reply with your reason for why you voted what you did (votes are public) and your actual scenario, with how you would like to see your license/renewal/upgrade handled.

EDIT: Apparently the poll can't be edited (the title). The question is as follows:

Based on the recently-announced pricing and availability details, would existing vB customers recommend buying or upgrading to vB4?
    NO: The new scheme is unacceptable because it does not honor existing customers & removes support
    58.97%
    MAYBE: vB4 might pull through, but the existing scheme is inappropriate
    23.08%
    YES
    17.95%
    Last edited by therczone; Tue 13 Oct '09, 5:49pm.
  • kyrgyz
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by therczone
    Please reply with your reason for why you voted what you did (votes are public) and your actual scenario, with how you would like to see your license/renewal/upgrade handled.
    All I can say I am confused but happy that finally vB4 Suite is coming out.

Comment

• terabyte
      • Jan 2008
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by kyrgyz
      All I can say I am confused but happy that finally vB4 Suite is coming out.
      What do you mean? It's not coming out yet ... we just have to pay for it

Comment

• CarterMarkham
        • Apr 2008

I have already purchased.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Support has been removed???

Comment

• Typical Gamer
            • Sep 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by therczone
            Well, when I purchased my license 1 month ago I was under the impression that when my license expired in 11 months I had the option to get continued support and upgrades for a mere $40 or $60 a year. Even if I did not buy this extended support / upgrades right away, I could when a version I saw was of much improvement, purchase it to recieve the newest version with support / updates for another year.

My problem is that now, I can't have that option. After 11 months, I have to pay $195 (non-presale price) or never receive an update for vBulletin again. Although, I do like that now the support / updates are forever on these licenses, I feel that I lost the flexibility, monetary wise, in my ability to pay for a new version.

Hopefully my rant made sense, hope some people would agree with me

Comment

• therczone
              • Sep 2004

The support ticket system will only be available for 30 days after purchasing/upgrading to vB4. After that, it is $80 per year.

They give us free updates for the entire 4.x series, but remove the customer support. 1 step forward, 1 step back. Their biggest expense is probably paying the support techs. Drastically reduce the amount of support techs needed (since the majority of free support will cease to exist), and save money! So they're saving money, and charging us 600% more for a few new features in vB4 which cost them a few thousand dollars (pennies compared to what they earn) in paying coders.

If I download Forum 4.0 on a current license, what happens to my support under the terms of the current license?

Your support continues until your current license runs out. Once your license expires you can continue to run the software but will not have access to ticket support or further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

If you purchase a new license, your support terms will be based on your new license. With Forum, you get the 30 days of ticket and forum support. You can also purchase additional support. With Suite, you get ticket and forum support for the life of 4.0.
              Last edited by therczone; Tue 13 Oct '09, 6:02pm.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by terabyte
                What do you mean? It's not coming out yet ... we just have to pay for it
                Yep, I know. I meant it's on the horizon.

Comment

• kyrgyz
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Typical Gamer
                  After 11 months, I have to pay $195 (non-presale price) or never receive an update for vBulletin again.
                  I don't know probably I didn't get what you meant. But why can't you upgrade now for free? Obviously you are an active license holder. After doing so there is no need to pay for the renewal till vb5.

Comment

• Ranger375
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 4.0.x

What annoys me is the fact that I have been paying for the blog and PT updates for nothing. It is completely worthless with the new system and VB is screwing people who already own the software. I'm not one to complain on these boards, but this is unacceptable and I will be spreading the word.

Comment

• zeloreo
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 3.8.x

1) I think the pricing is more than fair
                      2) I would like to see a projection of when the finished product would be available
                      3) I would like to see more detailed information about just what the finished product will include, yes, some screen shots would be nice, but even better would just be a more detailed explanation of what these new features would be

I think that the fact that you are warning us in advance of what changes will occur in your licensing and pricing is very fair

I intend to take advantage of your pre-release offer before October 30th

I am concerned about what changes this will enable me to make to my forum, after I take that pre-release offer I would sure like to see a beta edition that I could play with and plan just what I will do when the product is finally released.

Perhaps I haven't found the post on the forum yet, but, I do think vB could have done a little better job of explaining just what will be happening over the next few months before the final product will be released. Especially since they are asking for our money now.

Comment

• zeloreo
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Ranger, unless I misunderstand what is happening, those of us who have purchased a license will not be required to upgrade to v4 unless we choose to do so. I can't say I feel screwed because I got what I paid for, and if I want the new version bad enough to pay for it, I will once again get what I paid for.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• LWS
                          • May 2008
                          • 3.8.x

I've got no problem with the new system.. and will be taking advantage of the discount their offering.
                          My reason? Well... If any of you know whats been going on with Sub Dreamer CMS then you will understand why Im glad to see VB4 coming out soon.. It will be great to have my whole site running under one software for a change, and with feature enhancments (articles will have to be better than what I got with SD) and still other features I wouldnt have paid for before (blog).
                          But as always.. whats great for one person..may not be such a great deal to another.. so in the end.. it really is just a matter of what your situation is... for me.. this is a great deal for my little hobby site

Comment

• Typical Gamer
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by kyrgyz
                            I don't know probably I didn't get what you meant. But why can't you upgrade now for free? Obviously you are an active license holder. After doing so there is no need to pay for the renewal till vb5.
                            Well, wont there be multiple updates to vB4.0? Such as 4.1, 4.2, etc. If those are released after my 11 months then I am shafted and need to purchase the $195 license.

"As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my current license expires, can I continue to get upgrades on the 4 series?
                            No. You will have to purchase an upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series."

ALSO, I have only purchased vBulletin a month ago, do you think it would be possible to contact support, tack on the extra $15 and get v4 with lifetime updates?

Comment

• Dave B
                              • Apr 2001

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/mb/INET is a great place to post complaints that will not get removed

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...