X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazyfruitbat
    • Mar 2009
    • 3.8.x

New CMS vs Joomla/Drupal/Wordpress

Despite the anger in all the other threads I thought I would start something of a constructive discussion about the CMS software, and I hope that vB staff can answer some questions. If we don't have a demo, for now some info may help out those interested in getting the package.

Is this new system modular like Joomla?
    Are coders going to be allowed to create and upload their stuff to vb.org similar to joomla extensions.

Is there any way to import data from joomla etc into the system like Impex?

I have a million questions I could ask but I'm interested to see what other people want from this system too.
    My site: www.sanctuary4gamers.com My Twitter and if you like video games, my podcast (itunes)
  • stonepilot
    • Apr 2006
    • 4.1.x

I'm in the same boat. I have real need for this type of direct functionality, but I have some real concerns and serious questions too. Glad I have 2 weeks to try to get it all straight.
    sigpic
    Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

• Justice
      • May 2000
      • 2.0.x

I'm also interested in this, more so Drupal and Wordpress. The vb bridges are all nice tries, but this "suite" has more potential. Right now it's just that though, "potential."
      "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
      - Mark Twain

Comment

• user02934123123
        • Apr 2006
        • 4.1.x

Hi "crazyfruitbat"

Some early blog/forum posts from the developers gave a few details on the CMS, which was extremely rough around the edges, both interface and feature-wise; but this was some time ago.

I'm a great fan of vB, and have no doubts as to the potential for them to create a truly good CMS (which I'd love; I currently use Joomla + vB, and would love having everything on the same platform). However, the answer is that no one knows.

We'd all like to see it before we commit. The details and scant images shown in the development process thus far have been nothing close to approximating a CMS that could be used in a large-scale environment as an alternative to the major options already out there; but again, there are worlds of potential.

But waiting on potential takes quite a different turn when you're asked to shell out the money before you have any idea what you're really getting...

Comment

• crazyfruitbat
          • Mar 2009
          • 3.8.x

I think my main concern is that I hope it doesn't actually look like a vB board. vB is a great system but looks is not it's strong point and if it ends up being integrated as badly as the current user blog system then I think I'll stick with joomla and just upgrade the boards.

Though the thought of what is going to happen to all my joomla posts is something I'd rather not think about.
          My site: www.sanctuary4gamers.com My Twitter and if you like video games, my podcast (itunes)

Comment

• howard007
            • Oct 2006
            • 3.6.x

I was actually looking at implementing modxcms and paying someone lots of money to set it up and work with vbulletin. If the 4.0 suite offers something similar to modxcms then this would be awesome.

I wonder how advertising banner mod or function would work?
            Does 4.0 have anything like this?

Comment

• DrSnoCaps
              • Jan 2008
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by monForum
              Hi "crazyfruitbat"

Some early blog/forum posts from the developers gave a few details on the CMS, which was extremely rough around the edges, both interface and feature-wise; but this was some time ago.

I'm a great fan of vB, and have no doubts as to the potential for them to create a truly good CMS (which I'd love; I currently use Joomla + vB, and would love having everything on the same platform). However, the answer is that no one knows.

We'd all like to see it before we commit. The details and scant images shown in the development process thus far have been nothing close to approximating a CMS that could be used in a large-scale environment as an alternative to the major options already out there; but again, there are worlds of potential.

But waiting on potential takes quite a different turn when you're asked to shell out the money before you have any idea what you're really getting...
              I use the same setup at carypolitics.org, Joomla + VB integrated through JFusion. If I could import my existing Joomla articles into the new VB Suite then I might be interested but I can't seem find out whether or not that's supported :-(

Comment

• SirFalcon
                • Mar 2009

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as many of you. I was just about to look into open source solutions such as Joomla/Drupal/Modx and installing an extension to bridge vBulletin, but was pleased to find an e-mail about vBulletin's CMS in my inbox.

The only major thing deterring me from pre-ordering is this: How complex can the site structure hierarchy be? (I couldn't find much info in the Features list)?

I'm looking at a complexity similar to a light version of Gamespot where the majority of the content such as Article Type (i.e. News, Reviews, Screenshots) are organized/categorized under Consoles (i.e. Xbox, PS3, Wii) and also associated with Games (i.e. Halo). Also, some Article Types such as news can be associated with zero or many Consoles and Games.

Comment

• crazyfruitbat
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3.8.x

SirFalcon, seems we are in the same trade - I currently have a games website with usual news, reviews etc all under a joomla roof, but connecting them to vB is a ***** - there has even been a nice guy over at jfusion trying to help me get them working together and is hitting a brick wall - and if he can't do it then I certainly can't.

Though if this system can use an impex style system to move over all of my joomla posts I will be all over this like a rash regardless of the price - I want something that actually works and I can concentrate on getting the job done instead of messing with joomla

Comment

• cmeinck
                    • Aug 2004

Plus one on someone using Joomla/vBulletin combo. I also use a Wordpress component, so I'm using three platforms. I'm curious as to what I'd give up with regards to module flexibility. I already know I'd give up some of the great Joomla components -- JomSocial, jReviews.

The thought of one integrated site, integrated comments and user database has got me intrigued.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...