X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stonepilot
    • Apr 2006
    • 4.1.x

Serious vB4 Questions

I currently run multiple sites that are pushed and re-directed into the same master site. I know, not good form, but I'm still ranked top-3 for most of the major keywords I want.

Like www.chevysuburbanclub.com and www.chevycoloradoclub.com all tie into www.gmtruckclub.com ...

How would this work with vB4 suite? Can I post content from my main URL (gmtruckclub.com) into different URLs? What about subdomains instead of to www? Other sites are coming up as well like www.gmpartsclub.com that will need some functionality too, I guess that's its own beast though.

Let's not forget that vBulletin is the best forum system that exists on the market today, open source or otherwise. This is a big move and while the front page looks fantastic, there are a lot of questions that exist and we're all a bunch of doubting Thomases. I'm not going to blast a company for making changes, increasing prices and what-not, but this is the INFORMATION age, we want to see it, demo it and put it through it's paces before we pay for it.
    Last edited by stonepilot; Wed 14 Oct '09, 8:22am.
    sigpic
    Life is just a Big Skid
  • stonepilot
    • Apr 2006
    • 4.1.x

It didn't change the title when I edited.

Just curious how the vB4 Suite will handle different landing pages for the forum? *(see above post for examples)*
    sigpic
    Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

• stonepilot
      • Apr 2006
      • 4.1.x

Anyone?
      sigpic
      Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

• ra87
        • Oct 2009

As long as you can see the same data from ALL URLS, and you only have 1 instance of the software running (1 set of files, 1 SQL database) then it's fine.

If you hide some forums on one URL, ect, it's not allowed.

Comment

• stonepilot
          • Apr 2006
          • 4.1.x

I guess I didn't make it clear.

I want to have different content on multiple CMS pages/URLs.

1 Forum
          30+ CMS pages/URLs - each with it's own unique content that points back to the main forum on the main URL.
          sigpic
          Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
            • Apr 2001

only issue the cms isnt out yet, so the only people that can answer you are the staff.

Comment

• redtailboas
              • Jan 2005
              • 3.8.x

This is covered in a Sticky Post at the top of this forum

Multiple Domains....

All links must point to the same content or you will require multiple licenses.

That's how I read it.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

I can see the staff not allowing that, but you might get lucky

Comment

• ra87
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by stonepilot
                  I guess I didn't make it clear.

I want to have different content on multiple CMS pages/URLs.

1 Forum
                  30+ CMS pages/URLs - each with it's own unique content that points back to the main forum on the main URL.
                  So yes - From their current stand - each URL will need it's own license, as it's showing custom content based on the URL. UNLESS you use your own software to show the data - but if you use their CMS, thats how I see it.

EDIT:

To make it a little more clear what their "stand" is.

The ONLY thing that can change per URL to software, is the template, the content must be the SAME on ALL URL's, if it's not, a license will be needed for all URL's. I am going to assume (as there is no definative answer yet) that includes the cms in v4 as well.
                  Last edited by ra87; Sun 18 Oct '09, 10:30am.

Comment

• stonepilot
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 4.1.x

Yeah, the sticky at the top of the page deals specifically with the content in the fourms, not something that's up a level... I may just end up using Joomla/Wordpress to make this all work for front pages.
                    sigpic
                    Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

• stonepilot
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 4.1.x

Ok, per your last comment ra87, is that the SOURCE for the data or the DISPLAYED content? Using vbadvanced currently I tell the template to pull different parts of data from the main forum and it all works great with each landing page showing slightly different content and it all funnels to the main site.
                      sigpic
                      Life is just a Big Skid

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...