X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Weiss
    • Oct 2003
    • 4.2.X

VB4 Suite Upgrade Dilemma

We have a six year old board that would currently be ranked as a "big board". In addition to vBulletin v3.8.4 pl1, we also have installed the latest versions of vbPortal and PhotoPost Pro. In addition we have recently installed OpenX Banner Ad server and have partially implemented it, as well as PhotoPost Classifieds and ReviewPost which have not yet been implemented.

As one might expect, after six years we have quite a bit of accumulated archives beyond what is in our forums. We are extremely concerned about defining a clear path and knowing up front what we are in for in changing to VB4 Suite. We are not quibbling about the new licensing setup or any of the current costs ... our concerns are not disrupting what we have built.

Can anyone provide me with any insights into what would be unaffected, what would be lost, and what could be saved with correct care and procedures if we choose to go down this road with VB4 Suite?

Is anyone available for hire who could provide us with a reasonable and successful transition to VB4 Suite?
    Fred Weiss
    Signs101.com
    [email protected]
  • StacyJ
    • Oct 2009
    • 3.8.x

Bumping this in case there's an answer out there somewhere...

Comment

• ra87
      • Oct 2009

vBulletin offer an upgrade service for $150.

Comment

• hitmancode47
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

vBulletin offer an upgrade service for $150.
        just to run a upgrade?
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• ra87
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by hitmancode47
          just to run a upgrade?
          Yup.

Comment

• obmob
            • Sep 2001

I want to believe no forum data will be lost, the problem comes with external programs such as photopost, and since they can't develop a bridge between vb 4.0 and them, you'll have to wait some time.

I guess all we can do is wait for vb 4 gold, and then wait more time before actually upgrading.

Openx won't have troubles, all you need to do is add your codes into the new templates.
            Currently working on:
            Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
            Osito Barrigón - Winnie Pooh y sus Amigos

Comment

• Fred Weiss
              • Oct 2003
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by obmob
              I want to believe no forum data will be lost, the problem comes with external programs such as photopost, and since they can't develop a bridge between vb 4.0 and them, you'll have to wait some time.

I guess all we can do is wait for vb 4 gold, and then wait more time before actually upgrading.

Openx won't have troubles, all you need to do is add your codes into the new templates.
              Yes, I figured forum data wouldn't be a problem. OTOH, losing 6 years worth of member photo uploads along with their display in numerous threads is totally unacceptable.
              Fred Weiss
              Signs101.com
              [email protected]

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

I don't know that they will be able to answer this for a while. I have no idea if anyone has tried upgrading a site with those modifications yet. I know I successfully upgraded my test site and I have a tracker modification installed and it upgraded just fine. The attachment structure is a bit different with vb4 than with 3.8 (because of the asset manager), but I don't think photopost uses the vb attachment table? (I don't know the modification.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Pope Viper
                  • Mar 2006

Lynne - Any thoughts you'd like to give on 4.0?

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

I don't believe I'm allowed to really say much of anything at this point. Testing is going well though. I've been able to pretty easily update modifications I need on my site. I've been having fun playing around with the alpha releases. It's a new toy and I like playing with new toys.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Pope Viper
                      • Mar 2006

Hey, I got more than I thought I would!

I'm glad to hear about the modifications, that is something I'm worried about.

Comment

• obmob
                        • Sep 2001

Hmm.. if Lynne likes it and is able to work with it is a good thing, no? XD

We will have to wait for photopost to make a statement, but that won't happne till vb beta is out.

Still, don't know why the rush to upgrade if there is no beta around ¬¬
                        Currently working on:
                        Anizeen - What anime have you seen?
                        Osito Barrigón - Winnie Pooh y sus Amigos

Comment

• Pope Viper
                          • Mar 2006

I wish the folks who were running the alpha/beta were given more rein to talk about aspects of it.

I think that would truly help the situation if trusted members like Lynn are allowed to discuss things.

Comment

• slinky
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Fred Weiss
                            We have a six year old board that would currently be ranked as a "big board". In addition to vBulletin v3.8.4 pl1, we also have installed the latest versions of vbPortal and PhotoPost Pro...
                            Can anyone provide me with any insights into what would be unaffected, what would be lost, and what could be saved with correct care and procedures if we choose to go down this road with VB4 Suite?...
                            Is anyone available for hire who could provide us with a reasonable and successful transition to VB4 Suite?
                            I've been using vBulletin since it was version 1, was right at the beginning of vBportal as a helping developer, and also run such a "big board" with a large number of integrations. I've done work providing vBulletin integrations into other scripts, etc. As a person who is glad to do business and isn't here taking your money I can tell you that there is nobody who can provide you with information that you want that unfortunately just isn't available yet. Think of it this way - even if you pay these upgrade fees, whatever they may be, the other issue is whether the cost of the transition will be more painful than what it provides. vBulletin 4 is a complete rewrite and chances are that every single licenseholder is upgrading to "publishing suite" since the forum upgrade is too absurdly priced to be anywhere near a viable option. You must consider:

1) Cost to potential re-tempalte your entire site

2) Time it may take to re-code or wait for recoding of every essential vB forum mod you have, e.g. experience points, credit/currency, enhanced awards, etc. NONE of these may be "upgradeable" and there is a question of how many developers will remain coding at vb.org. You may need to hire people to update these add-ons.

3) Need to re-integrate all your current "integrated" scripts like photopost and the like. I am sure they will provide updates but the way they work together may prove to be painful. Additionally, you may have to deal with competing features, e.g. vBulletin's new picture management versus photopost.

Anyone who tells you different, IMHO, is not giving you the whole truth. It's all up in the air right now. Many of my decisions will hinge upon how much interaction there is as part of a beta development team. If there isn't a close connection so that migration is posible for us with "big boards", it may even make sense not to bother with any more upgrades and (a) continue with what you have, or (b) migrate to another platform which may include a completely open source or custom designed platform.

As I said, it's difficult to say at this point and we are months away from seeing anything definite.
                            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...