X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHOwner
    • Jun 2007
    • 3.8.x

Upgrading to 4.0 discount & vb4 info?

I guess the chance to renew my license for $40 and get an upgrade to vb4 is now gone? Any chance I could still do so? I've tried in the members area, but it leads me to buying a new license.

Bleh, if only I could have done this sooner :/ Is there still a chance?

Now, I would be willing to preorder for another license, but there's also the question of... What's really different in 4.0? There's been about 5 things somewhat mentioned, but no insight of execution other than rough concepts. This renewal option before would have been nice to test 4.0 (on my current license, when it releases) before buying another license as well, but well... Gah...

Basically, IPB has a lot of features as well, but I don't like their interface or management. When is why I love vB, it's a lot nicer (at least back before CSS craze) to customize and use. However, everything after 3.7 has me at concern of how well everything will run together. So, it'd be nice to have some clarity of the product's clarity and general build to know if it's worth customizing vB or IPB, though I prefer vB for obvious reasons stated.
    Last edited by GHOwner; Tue 13 Oct '09, 1:12pm.
  • Kaelon
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.6.x

I agree. Can we get some clarity? I have an Owned License as well as a couple of add-ons (blog and project), but have not renewed my Members Access yet. How much will it cost me to upgrade to vB 4.0 (plus suite) when it comes out?

Comment

• GHOwner
      • Jun 2007
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kaelon
      I agree. Can we get some clarity? I have an Owned License as well as a couple of add-ons (blog and project), but have not renewed my Members Access yet. How much will it cost me to upgrade to vB 4.0 (plus suite) when it comes out?
      I get Forum 4.0 as an existing customer but I want to convert the license to the vBulletin Publishing Suite- what are my options?
      - During the pre-sale event, you can convert to the vBulletin Publishing Suite for $130.
      - After the pre-sale event, you can convert your license to the vBulletin Publishing Suite for $250.
      - If you wait until your license expires, a new license costs $285.
      source

I got that much from it, I'm just asking if I can still renew my license for the old price. It's an owned license. I'm also asking for some more preview material to know what it has above the competition.

Comment

• XtAzY
        • Jan 2005

I'm a little confused as well. Currently my own license is nolonger active. It'll cost me $250 to upgrade. So I should get a new license for $235 instead?

Comment

• Jobe1986
          • Jan 2007
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by XtAzY
          I'm a little confused as well. Currently my own license is nolonger active. It'll cost me $250 to upgrade. So I should get a new license for $235 instead?
          The $235 is only available until october 30th (according to the FAQ) then it'll go back up to $285 for new SUITE.
          http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• punchbowl
            • Nov 2006
            • 4.0.x

I have two owned licences both with blogs, one expired in september and one will expire in november, yet both upgrade/renew links bring me to the same page and want to charge me just as much.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by punchbowl
              I have two owned licences both with blogs, one expired in september and one will expire in november, yet both upgrade/renew links bring me to the same page and want to charge me just as much.
              ...which most probably means that we can forget about our blogs.
              Have to buy it again.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• XtAzY
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jobe1986
                The $235 is only available until october 30th (according to the FAQ) then it'll go back up to $285 for new SUITE.
                Yea I know but currently I cant use the upgrade discount. It only show me the $250 option, which is the full price for the upgrade. I could instead just opt for the new discounted license.

Comment

• Jobe1986
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by XtAzY
                  Yea I know but currently I cant use the upgrade discount. It only show me the $250 option, which is the full price for the upgrade. I could instead just opt for the new discounted license.
                  It shows the discount when you select it.

Comment

• Brandon_R
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2009

Just my luck, my VB license expired 2 days ago so i can't get the vB 4 discount I should of upgraded a while ago but i kept putting it off.

Comment

• veenuisthebest
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Brandon_R
                      Just my luck, my VB license expired 2 days ago so i can't get the vB 4 discount I should of upgraded a while ago but i kept putting it off.
                      If I were you, I would submit a ticket requesting to adjust those 2 days. They'd surely do it, I know.

Comment

• alpha
                        • May 2001

Am I understanding the new licensing scheme correctly?

It eliminates the concept of "owned" licenses so that anyone who wants to continue using vB4 needs to at some point or another (before their renewal expires) purchase vB4 license as if you were a new customer. Except for this pre-sale, you don't get any benefit of having an existing "owned" license.

Comment

• KrON
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.6.x

I just saw this in the faq:

"I let my license expire and now I can not renew – what are my options? You are not eligible for upgrade pricing. You must purchase a new license."

We let our owned license lapse since we didn't have any desire to upgrade from 3.6 -> 3.8, and now without warning we have no recourse but to pay the full upgrade price? I got the "As a preferred customer with an active license" email despite my license being inactive, but am unable to pay the $40 to get the 50% discount.

That's sort of a kick in the pants. I've sent an email to sales, but I really hope they let those of us who were waiting to get in on this discount. The $130 or whatever isn't going to break the bank, but it would have been nice to get a discount, for being a loyal customer for all these years (and the 3rd largest vB site for quite a while now).

We'll see what sales says. Here I thought I was "sticking it to the man" by not maintaining an active license, and now I'm getting it stuck to me!
                          Kyle Christensen
                          PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

The ship sailed on us. Cheaper to just buy a new license in January or whenever this thing comes out.

A 72 hour warning would have been nice.

A product roadmap and working demo before pulling the rug out would have been even better.

Comment

• Jobe1986
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                              The ship sailed on us. Cheaper to just buy a new license in January or whenever this thing comes out.
                              Indeed, as I dont have the funds to paythe $130 upgrade before Oct 30th, from forum to suite (I need the CMS), Im stuck with a discount of ONLY $35 off the new price ($285) for upgrade price ($250). On top of that, from what i can tell (may be wrong though) there doesnt seem to be any consideration for the fact I have a blog licence too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...