Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pisymbol
    • Jul 2009

Testing it locally first

Can I buy vbulletin, install it locally on my notebook, play with it, THEN upload it to my site? (i.e. reinstall it and go live...).

I did RTFM but I don't see anything in the install manual regarding reinstallation and license constraints (don't know if counts the number of times I install it).

Thanks!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• pisymbol
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
      Steve thank you! Just a clarification before I buy:

So I would install vbulletin under a URL like:

Play with it for as long as I like. Right? The password protect I am assuming is optional if its just on my localbox to test and write plugins.

If that's okay, then when I'm ready to go live do I have to re-install and setup or can I transfer my testvb environment to a live environment or either? (I am hoping either, i.e. I can choose to just re-install and manually set things up OR transfer testvc web context to my hosting service).

Thanks again!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Yes, you can either move the test install or do a fresh install.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...