Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killemall
    • Aug 2009

SMF passwords

If I am able to crack all the passwords in my MySQL database for SMF and make them just plain text or whatever it is default. Will vB be able to transfer them over without the users having to reset them?

Also, does vB use any type of encryption?
  • Chelf12
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.8.x

I'm pretty sure vBulletin uses md5 hashing. So brute-forcing it will take awhile. Also, why would you want to crack your member's passwords? Seems sorta...low. But...that's why I don't run your site. But I still think it would be easier for them to reset their passwords. Much quicker, and painless, to be honest.

Comment

• killemall
      • Aug 2009

This way they dont have to go through anything but getting use to a different forum. The point of cracking the passwords is just so that it will transfer right into the vb database. I dont know much about hashings, but even if the passwords were plain text, would they even convert into the md5 hashing for vB?

Edit: and I personally dont think its low to save people time. just my opinion though.
      Last edited by killemall; Mon 24 Aug '09, 8:15pm. Reason: add extra

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

vBulletin ImpEx is hardcoded to simply not import passwords from a range of platforms, even if you decode them.

btw, a new addition to ImpEx is coming soon that will permit to import old passwords and verify them on the fly to update the database when users are logging-in for the first time after an ImpEx...

*(do not ask this to the ImpEx forum, i'm the one who develop this)
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Dilly
          • Mar 2005

It'll be free too, right nexy?

Comment

• nexialys
            • May 2004
            • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Dilly
            It'll be free too, right nexy?
            it's under investigation, Dilly... the goal is to provide it to ImpEx so it is fully integrated, not provided as a addon. This engine can not work outside of ImpEx, as password retrieval can be done only once.

btw, it's simple as possible... don't know why they never tried to make it.
            oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• killemall
              • Aug 2009

Alright, thank you very much.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...