Installation causes hosting account suspension ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Aug 2009

Installation causes hosting account suspension ?

Short Version:
    Are there any files/scripts in the vbulletin files that could be improperly used to interfere with the hosting server's operations ? Causing the hosting company to suspend the account ?

Long Version:
    A friend of mine who already had a running drupal website recently purchased a license as recommended by his new administrator in hopes of moving the entire website to a forum-based community which isn't very well supported in drupal. This new administrator came after the drupal site had been built.

Now the problem is, once this administrator got the files and began installing vbulletin the entire hosting account was suspended. The details of what happened are sketchy at best and I'm posting here in an attempt to complete a picture of what might have happened. My friend isn't very tech savvy and I've been unable to gain much information out of him on what happened, however from what I've managed to extract so far it seems this admin ran some sort of script while installing vbulletin that interfered with the operations of the server resulting in the account being suspended. It is normal for hosting companies to have decent security measures to guard against such action so I don't quite understand how this could've happened. He keeps telling me that the hosting company told him 200 other accounts were also affected by the admin's actions, that somehow installing vbulletin over (or beside) an existing drupal installation caused a conflict and alot of other things that don't make alot of technical sense.

After many other problems with that admin my friend fired him and is now asking me to complete the installation. I don't have access to that admin and the hosting company is german (which I don't speak) so I'm not 100% sure why the account was suspended. Obviously I don't want to repeat the same problem as my experience with installing vbulletin is limited. So is there anything that could be misused in the vbulletin files through ignorance (like an improper install configuration) or malicious intent to achieve an account being suspended ? I would imagine the answer to be no, so would anyone have suggestions as to what might have happened ? Because quite frankly none of the reasons my friend provided made much sense.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by 01101110110110
    Short Version:
    Are there any files/scripts in the vbulletin files that could be improperly used to interfere with the hosting server's operations ? Causing the hosting company to suspend the account ?

Long Version:
    A friend of mine who already had a running drupal website recently purchased a license as recommended by his new administrator in hopes of moving the entire website to a forum-based community which isn't very well supported in drupal. This new administrator came after the drupal site had been built.

Now the problem is, once this administrator got the files and began installing vbulletin the entire hosting account was suspended. The details of what happened are sketchy at best and I'm posting here in an attempt to complete a picture of what might have happened. My friend isn't very tech savvy and I've been unable to gain much information out of him on what happened, however from what I've managed to extract so far it seems this admin ran some sort of script while installing vbulletin that interfered with the operations of the server resulting in the account being suspended. It is normal for hosting companies to have decent security measures to guard against such action so I don't quite understand how this could've happened. He keeps telling me that the hosting company told him 200 other accounts were also affected by the admin's actions, that somehow installing vbulletin over (or beside) an existing drupal installation caused a conflict and alot of other things that don't make alot of technical sense.

After many other problems with that admin my friend fired him and is now asking me to complete the installation. I don't have access to that admin and the hosting company is german (which I don't speak) so I'm not 100% sure why the account was suspended. Obviously I don't want to repeat the same problem as my experience with installing vbulletin is limited. So is there anything that could be misused in the vbulletin files through ignorance (like an improper install configuration) or malicious intent to achieve an account being suspended ? I would imagine the answer to be no, so would anyone have suggestions as to what might have happened ? Because quite frankly none of the reasons my friend provided made much sense.
    Nothing in vBulletin's installation routine should lead to a suspension of hosting service.

Either the person did something dodgy or else it's a bad host.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Short Version:

Long Version:

Nothing in vBulletin's installation routine should lead to a suspension of hosting service.

Either the person did something dodgy or else it's a bad host.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

No need to repeat yourself

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
          No need to repeat yourself
          It's the ridiculous double posting issue with ajax quick reply that we keep getting told doesn't exist. It's when the server slows down, my own site does it too.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------

Comment

• bigwater
            • Jan 2007

Looks like he quoted the original post, I suspect he didn't use quick reply.
            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Sysop9001
              • Jul 2005
              • 3.8.x

Short Version:

Long Version:

Is the Host that sucks, vBulletin is very clean, trust me.
              Have your friend installed perhaps a Nulled or a Cracked version...?
              I think this is the answer, probable?

Comment

• NolFito
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                It's the ridiculous double posting issue with ajax quick reply that we keep getting told doesn't exist. It's when the server slows down, my own site does it too.
                I thought that was my fault :O happens on my server too

In regards to OP, there shouldn't be any reason why installing vbulletin would cause such a problem.
                "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it!' -Team Skunkworkssigpic
                "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Tell your friend to fill out a support ticket if he has a valid license and has further questions.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Aug 2009

Have your friend installed perhaps a Nulled or a Cracked version...?
                    To my knowledge the admin downloaded it from the members area.

Tell your friend to fill out a support ticket if he has a valid license and has further questions.
                    Well if it is indeed not actually a problem with vBulletin I'm not sure a support ticket would do much good. It is quite likely some form of malicious attempt by that admin judging by their other problems. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't have been some form of accident that triggered it as he claimed.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

To my knowledge the admin downloaded it from the members area.

Well if it is indeed not actually a problem with vBulletin I'm not sure a support ticket would do much good. It is quite likely some form of malicious attempt by that admin judging by their other problems. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't have been some form of accident that triggered it as he claimed.
                      From your answer it sounds like this is an illegal site. If I am wrong have your friend fill out a support ticket.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...