• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grabacontroller
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.8.x

VBulletin 4

If VB4 does include a license structure change, I will not renew or buy a new VBulletin license ever again. If everybody is happy right now, Why change it? I think ONLY a price increase would be better and not a renewal increase. I will probably go to IPB or go to a free forum that suits my needs if this happens. I love the features & modifications but vbulletin is getting more expensive! How much would I need to spend to even keep my license up to date or to even keep my board from being hacked? Even most applications don't cost as much as VBulletin. Even the renewing of owned license when it expires costs as much as the blog & project tools application and almost as much as a leased license. If the leased is ever dropped, I will never ever buy a VB again since I can't upgrade my leased license. I don't care if you guys don't know crap. At least you could do is tell us the licensing changes before vb4 and not tell us what is coded/featured/etc. If you don't tell us the license changes, a lot of people won't even buy vb until vb4 is released making you guys lose a lot of money.
    Last edited by grabacontroller; Thu 2 Jul '09, 9:51pm.
  • Winner™
    • Nov 2008

You are in many respects right.

Comment

• Dilly
      • Mar 2005

Try using paragraphs. That was unreadable.

Comment

• grabacontroller
        Banned
        • Mar 2006
        • 3.8.x

Wow. That was nice of you to say. Is everybody mad at me cause my user name is grabacontroller? Every time somebody replies on these forums...I get crapped on.

If VB4 does include a license structure change, I will not renew or buy a new VBulletin license ever again.

If everybody is happy right now, Why change it?
        I think ONLY a price increase would be better and not a renewal increase. I will probably go to IPB or go to a free forum that suits my needs if this happens. I love the features & modifications but vbulletin is getting more expensive!

How much would I need to spend to even keep my license up to date or to even keep my board from being hacked? Even most applications don't cost as much as VBulletin. Even the renewing of owned license when it expires costs as much as the blog & project tools application and almost as much as a leased license. If the leased is ever dropped, I will never ever buy a VB again since I can't upgrade my leased license.

I don't care if you guys don't know crap. At least you could do is tell us the licensing changes before vb4 and not tell us what is coded/featured/etc.

If you don't tell us the license changes, a lot of people won't even buy vb until vb4 is released making you guys lose a lot of money.

Comment

• Jerz
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.8.x

In my opinion, vB is worth more then they ask for it. I'm 99% sure vB 4 will restructure licenses/pricing, especially with the introduction of the suite. Changes to licensing are not going to stop me from buying/renewing. The only thing that will have an impact on me buying/renewing is the product itself.

Information that floated about did mention removal of the leased license. Whether or not that will really happen we have yet to see. Currently, the renewal of an owned license is $60 cheaper than that of a leased license, or $40 cheaper if past 60 days. That may be ~ the price of a paid addon, but the addons expire with the license, so renewing addons in unecessary. With or without the paid addons, you will save $40-$60/year with an owned license.

If the leased license is dropped, I'm sure they will allow you to upgrade to owned for a discount of the full price.

If the licensing changes aren't known/finalized, they can't say them. The information that floated about was said not to be final.

Also, I doubt not announcing licensing changes has had a large impact on sales.

Comment

• hornstar6969
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Well price changes are inevitable at some point in time. Just because we are happy with the prices doesn't mean they are. They are a business wanting to maximise their profit. They have already worked out that people won't renew or stick with vbulletin if they increase the prices. However they have worked out that they will make more money in the long run.

Personally I think they would make many more sales and in the long run make much more money if they sold it at a slightly cheaper price.

Anyway prices will go up, and I have a feeling i'll see you running a vbulletin board still in a years time
            Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• bigwater
              • Jan 2007

I. Me. My. These terms don't mean much.

I'm not so sure it's all about sales for IB. It's about control of a product that guides so many of their business interests.

IB has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 vB forums running now... many of them big boards. It's in their best interest that the software function properly, and it's reasonable that the functional changes they make to the software serve their interest before they serve our interests, seing as the main reason for acquiring the software was to further their internal business goals.

IMO the acquisition of Jelsoft was a long term vision of what IB needed vs the direction that vB was headed in. Our (individual users) interests lag behind the internal interests of IB, which is why we don't see a roadmap or alpha/beta/RC releases. IB knows where they want the software to go, and that's the direction it's headed in.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Look at IB's portfolio of forums and ask yourself whether or not with that many sites, that many hits, that many users... maybe they might just have an idea about what needs to be done to make the software better.

I'm just glad they're still going to make it available to the average joe like me. They could have just as easily bought it and took all future development private.
              Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• maplr4ever
                • Jun 2009
                • 3.8.x

license

ehh, good idea, you are fully right. I also think vB is cheap for what it does, but that doesn't mean IB or Jelsoft has the right to charge more after we purchase licenses. I might stick with vB 3.8 or IPB when that gets hacked.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...