• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

vB Licensing...

Hello folks..

First off to those who know me: Sorry.

Secondly, how does the licensing work when it switches from x.x to x.x?

Eg, 3.8 to 4.0.

Just wondering, if this will be working the same as a 3.6 to 3.7 sort of thing? Or will it require a whole new license? My License is active till 2010, so ideally when this thing comes out I don't want to have to pay for a whole new one.

I know the 4.x licensing isn't worked out yet, eg prices. But I figured they would be for new installs? I'm not asking for prices though, but rather, how it will work.

Thanks.
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Sorry, but have you read any of the at least half dozen threads on the subject?
    Attached Files
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

I skimmed titles on first pre-sales page, none of them seem to refer to it

Link?

Comment

• Ray Morgan
        Former vBulletin General Manager
        • Sep 2008
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by JakeS
        Secondly, how does the licensing work when it switches from x.x to x.x?

Eg, 3.8 to 4.0.
        Yes, the licensing structure is being simplified in conjunction with the 4.0 release. We'll announce all of the details close to the gold release.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ray Morgan
          Yes, the licensing structure is being simplified in conjunction with the 4.0 release. We'll announce all of the details close to the gold release.
          A simple structure. Hmmm... That's what we all are waiting for!
          Well,maybe not all...

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• JakeS
            • Jul 2005

Hmm, Ok Thanks :-)

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Would that include a significant price increase?
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• El Burro
                Banned
                • Apr 2007
                • 3.7.x

I find paying $40 a year for the latest version is simple enough.

I can't believe IB/Jelsoft are going to let this fiasco go on for another few months.
                This is so damaging.

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

I also cannot believe they are not posting new pricing structure details, especially in light of IPB offering IPB3 at a reduced rate. This is absolutely plain crazy! People are coming here for pricing information to try and make there minds up, and they are getting no information at all.

This place is turning into a fun farm. All it's short of is a few headless chickens now..

Comment

• hitmancode47
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

close to the gold release.
                    Whats the "Gold" Release?
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Nick
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                      The stable release.
                      Regards,
                      Nick

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                        Just another posh word for FINAL release, when it comes out of Beta or RC stage and gets realsed as a stable product for anybody to use.

Comment

• JakeS
                          • Jul 2005

Hmm, I been reading a crap load of posts (There not crap, just lots of them)

From what I've read I think (I could be wrong) it's going something like this:

vBulletin Current owned license owners: Keep license "As is" possible small fee for each new release.

New Bundle, including all previous software, into one, eg Blog tools, cms, project, vb all in one big one off payment package and download. I got this from one word I read in One of the posts "Bundle".

Otherwise, possible to pay for each one as per how it used to work with individual downloads ( I own blog, project tools, and vbulletin it's self )

Thus, CMS will be a payable add-on like blog and stuff.

I'm thinking possibly, new license terms for new users, and possible to go to those, as for what they are, I don't know.

Legally speaking, they cannot break a contract of which they currently have without a user telling them they can do so. Nor can they force you to a new contract.

I'm thinking this new pricing stuff could all be for the bundles like above.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                            • Jul 2005
                            • 3.8.x

All I can say is.. I found out IPB just release 3.0 and their pricing structure IS THE EXACT SAME AS BEFORE.

So you if had a license and it's active you get IPB 3.0 for free.

I really hope IB does not change the current structure.

The IPB is just an example. That's why I feel more willing to try them out.

Comment

• El Burro
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                              All I can say is.. I found out IPB just release 3.0 and their pricing structure IS THE EXACT SAME AS BEFORE.

So you if had a license and it's active you get IPB 3.0 for free.

I really hope IB does not change the current structure.

The IPB is just an example. That's why I feel more willing to try them out.
                              I did actually try out IPB 3.0.0 on the day it was released, they have a number of forums set up on a server and you get 8 hours of admin control over one of these forums. Good idea - take note Jelsoft.

I wouldn't really mention the above on a vBulletin forum if I wasn't going to add that I thought that vBulletin was better.
                              Especially the Admin control panel. vBulletin's CP is very functional and although it looks clunky - it works and is intuitive.

If you are going to put a professional skin on your forum. Then IPB and vBulletin will look very similar.

vBulletin just has a better feel. More features, more possibilities.

If this crazy license pricing change proposal could be dealt with by the manager who has responsibility for resoving this debacle we can all move on.
                              We can then renew or buy licenses and just carry on paying for our updates as we always have and were happy doing.

Then we can whole-heartedly start recommending and talking 'up' vBulletin again. Which I'm confident is what most people who contribute on these forums want.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...