Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graham
    • May 2002

Seeing different 'forums' on same site

Is it possible ( perhaps by using conditionals ? ) to see different parts of the forum according to which link you clicked on a general site navbar ? ie, if i clicked on a link called 'forum' I would see most general catagories, if I clicked on articles i would only see an article section, if I clicked on a survey link I would only see the survey catagory ?

In affect what I am trying to do is have a site with three different sections all running of the same forum ( with extra licences if need be )

many thanks
    Graham
  • hitmancode47
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.8.x

With a bit of tweaking with the permissions, this is very easily possible.

It would require Links to the actual forum category so it would automatically go into that section.

It would involve creating 3 different usergroups, and setting permissions for each of those.

I use the same method on my site, works lovely.
    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• cellarius
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by hitmancode47
      With a bit of tweaking with the permissions, this is very easily possible.

It would require Links to the actual forum category so it would automatically go into that section.

It would involve creating 3 different usergroups, and setting permissions for each of those.

I use the same method on my site, works lovely.
      Why would you need usergroups to do that? You would only need them if you would restrict access to those subcategoried to certain users. But that does not seem to be the case.

As I understand it, he basically wants to do a setup very similar to vbulletin.org. That's done via forums that are invisible on the general forum start page. Meaning: You have your forum main page - accessed via a "forums" button. Then he could have forums "articles" and "surveys", each in turn containing subforums. "articles" and "surveys" would be set to invisible on the main forum page but could be accessed by their respective URLs, that, of course, could be addressed by links.

Setup:

[forums] Forum landing page
      - forum 1 [visible]
      - forum 2 [visible]
      - articles [invisible on forums page, but accessible by URL]
      - surveys [invisible on forums page, but accessible by URL]

Comment

• graham
        • May 2002

Wow, fast answer

I would want anyone to be able to access any section but only 'see' the part they were interested in at the time.... and maybe have each section looking subtely different

Comment

• graham
          • May 2002

cellarius,
          that is exactly what I wanted. thank you
          ( cant get rid of the underline )

Comment