X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NolFito
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
    I agree with you on the public beta. I hate to say it, I know IB is trying to pull something different and new. But, WHEN your customers are telling you to NOT change, then you SHOULD listen. Most businesses, who've had customers disagree with the way the company is running. Well, they usually shut down or take a HUGE hit. I thought IB would know better?
    Not everybody is asking for everything to remain the same. I rather see change, suffer a hit or two but see Jelsoft and vBulletin be able to be freed from the shackles that have lead them to be dragging more and more behind.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it!' -Team Skunkworkssigpic
    "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by NolFito
      Not everybody is asking for everything to remain the same. I rather see change, suffer a hit or two but see Jelsoft and vBulletin be able to be freed from the shackles that have lead them to be dragging more and more behind.
      Spoken by someone who'd never even heard of vBulletin during 3.0 or 3.5.

Comment

• cellarius
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
        So - what join date or version history does entitle you to voice your opinion hereabouts - in your eyes?
        But since I only started with 3.5 and don't have that impressive postcount, I probably don't count, either...

Comment

• cedivad
          • Oct 2008

I'm soooooooo tired of wait for this vbulletin relase.. maybe i will die first, else if i'm only 16...
          for some unusefull update: http://twitter.com/KierDarby
          i hope you have understood what i wrote above with my bad english!

Comment

• NolFito
            • Nov 2006
            • 3.8.x

Not entirely sure whether that is a good or bad remark. Most would agree that vBulletin 3.6-8 was getting old performance and scalability wise, looks could always be fixed, but the new style doesn't disappoint (from the looks of it)
            "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

• LinkAdage
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I am not sure I want VB 4.0 - My understanding is that 4.0 will be based on a SMARTY templating engine which is almost sure to break all current mods. Expect your favorite mod to die a quick death unless it is paid mod and/or heavily supported.

Why SMARTY Templates which are obsolete and abandoned for 2 years? It seems Internet Brands is very familiar with Smarty and they have many coders that still work with Smarty, to switch off to more current templating engine would cost much more and take more time to develop.

Be careful what you wish for. I'll be using 3.8* for a long time. Hopefully, this is not the end of vBulletin dominance.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Your understanding is not correct. We are not using Smarty for our templates but building on the template system we have used for years and extending it. You are correct that most existing modifications will need to be updated to run on vBulletin 4 as the template system is more structured and you can't just toss any variable at it anymore.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by LinkAdage
                  I am not sure I want VB 4.0 - My understanding is that 4.0 will be based on a SMARTY templating engine which is almost sure to break all current mods.
                  You're understanding is wrong. vB 4 is not using SMARTY.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Booth
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by cellarius
                    But since I only started with 3.5 and don't have that impressive postcount, I probably don't count, either...
                    Hey I don't have an impressive post count and I became a license holder during the 3.0 days. I just don't spend all my time *****ing on here
                    Pleased Sheep Films - Independent Filmmakers
                    Blackburn Web - an online community for Blackburn in Lancashire (thanks to Mark B for the tips)

Comment

• dbembibre
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Your understanding is not correct. We are not using Smarty for our templates but building on the template system we have used for years and extending it. You are correct that most existing modifications will need to be updated to run on vBulletin 4 as the template system is more structured and you can't just toss any variable at it anymore.
                      Only one thing, in vB4 i cant import my heavily custom 3.8 style and work how was posible in the migrations accross 3.0 3.5 3.6 and 3.7 vB versions ?
                      http://stats.big-boards.com/a/1536.png

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

You will need to redo your templates. Just like vB2 to vB3.

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by cellarius
                          So - what join date or version history does entitle you to voice your opinion hereabouts - in your eyes?
                          A blanket statement about development needing to change without the background of how 3.0 and 3.5 were developed will always be somewhat short sighted. That was my point.

Good news for you if you find the 3.6/3.7/3.8 cycle to be slow...You can expect much faster release cycles with 4.0.

Comment

• NolFito
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Good news for you if you find the 3.6/3.7/3.8 cycle to be slow...You can expect much faster release cycles with 4.0.
                            I think the progress was slow during that time frame. You can release as many iterations as you want but if they don't have quality substance...

Comment

• fufu
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 3.8.x

why would staff say no to buying a new license before pricing for vB4 is released?

Comment

• Fusion
                                • Aug 2001
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by fufu
                                why would staff say no to buying a new license before pricing for vB4 is released?
                                They wouldn't (obviously).
                                Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...