Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarryWx
    • Jul 2008

Question about 4.0 befure buying?

Can someone here tell me if that new look will be reconsidered or is that the way it is gonna be?

I ask because i am trying to leave IPB because of basically the same thing. 3.0 looks terrible at best and doesnt even work in some browsers. Thus i do not like the new vB 4.0 look that i saw posted in the blog and am hoping that there is a chance it may be reconsidered.

Thanks.
  • Freewilley
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.7.x

we cannot comment on the new look of vb4 till we see a final output of it running here or any other forums. So I would suggest you better wait till it gets released as I am also having nightmares about its new look lol.. if the fonts and icons are gonna be that big as it is shown in the blog I would probably stick around with later versions of 3.8.x myself..

regards
    techno2day

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

There will be tweaks and new images, but if I understand your basic objections I've read elsewhere there are no plans to completely scrap all the work that has been done and start over with something more to your liking. Sorry.

FWIW the overwhelming response to new Kier's design has been very positive. But the fact is that you just can't please everyone.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• HarryWx
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        There will be tweaks and new images, but if I understand your basic objections I've read elsewhere there are no plans to completely scrap all the work that has been done and start over with something more to your liking. Sorry.

FWIW the overwhelming response to new Kier's design has been very positive. But the fact is that you just can't please everyone.
        Thanks and didnt mean to sound rude if i did. I just dont know what to do now.

May as well ask but will the look break in IE like IPB 3.0 has? Thus is it using the same type of images or whatever that IPB is using in 3.0?

Comment

• cellarius
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by HarryWx
          May as well ask but will the look break in IE like IPB 3.0 has? Thus is it using the same type of images or whatever that IPB is using in 3.0?
          You don't really expect a "Yes" to that question, do you

- Ey, developer, will your new style break in IE if it finally comes out?
          - Yes.

SCNR

Comment

• HarryWx
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by cellarius
            You don't really expect a "Yes" to that question, do you

- Ey, developer, will your new style break in IE if it finally comes out?
            - Yes.

SCNR

Then why change if that is gonna happen?

Main reason why i dont understand why IPB did what they have done to 3.0 and main reason i wanna switch and was looking here.

I look at this forum and i see no issues with it and havent heard of any either so why switch to something ( another type of image or whatever.. PNG etc ) that will cause issues in certain browsers?

Comment

• Freewilley
              • Jan 2009
              • 3.7.x

I dont think vbulletin designers gonna release a style version that will break in IE. But I am afraid if its gonna look like IPB 3 then it will be a real issue. I really hate the style of IPB 3.0 BETA. They were so good in their previous versions but suddenly their new look really got bad from their previous versions.

To your question I dont think it will break like IPB but what I myself afraid is will gonna look the same like IPB 3? well I dont know the answer for that either.

lets wait and see.

regards
              techno2day

Comment

• Icy
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

You might want to read De-tabulating vBulletin Forumdisplay. This is vBulletin and that is Kier
                Originally posted by Kier;bt5262
                My browser testing suite comprises primarily IE6, 7 and 8, and the latest versions of Firefox, Safari and Opera and Chrome on Windows and Mac (where available).

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Every demo that the staff has of the new style, we hear something like this:

"I tried to do this but it while it worked in the moderna browsers (IE8, Safari, Firefox and Opera) it broke in IE6 and 7. So what I had to do was write this code which will be conditionally added to the output for IE6 and 7 so they work."

It isn't good to have things break for the two most used browsers, even if there is a new replacement to them.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

I have not seen or heard anything yet about new images. I'm actually quite anxious to see what comes next.

The vB 4 style is still being worked on and is not done. Kier's blog showed it's current state of development and his design concepts, but not the final product.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 3.8.x

So is there like an estimated/guessed date or month of release for vB 4.0?
                      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                        So is there like an estimated/guessed date or month of release for vB 4.0?
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

3.0 looks terrible at best and doesnt even work in some browsers. Thus i do not like the new vB 4.0 look that i saw posted in the blog and am hoping that there is a chance it may be reconsidered.

Thanks.
                          When you say vBulletin 3 doesn't work in some browsers, are you referring to older browsers or newer browsers?

vBulletin 3.0 has incredible compatibility with very very old web browsers. It is even usable on WebTV which most other software has dropped support years ago. vBulletin 3 works on IE5.5 (obsolete), IE6 (obsolete), Firefox 1 (obsolete), Firefox 2 (obsolete), Mozilla (discontinued), Opera, Safari, etc.

Maybe you are referring to recent browsers? I am not sure if Chrome has been fully tested. I know Opera was an issue for a long time because how slowly and incompletely they implemented the DOM. Of particular note was the WYSIWYG editor. This is not a vBulletin issue though and you'll note Opera's market share has shrunk dramatically over the past few years due to pressure from Safari and Firefox.

As for vB4, I think vBulletin 4 looks AWESOME from the first looks and it is going to be incredibly easy to customize via CSS. Without editing templates, you'll be able to completely restyle vBulletin with different colors, backgrounds, borders, arrangement, etc.

vBulletin 4 will enter beta this year and might not be the official release product for 9 months to a year. vBulletin 3.8 series will continue to be sold for years to come. If you like 3.x, use it. vBulletin 4 supports modern web browsers and adaptively degrades on older ones.

Can you please express your complaints/concerns about the vBulletin 4 appearance? I really would like to know.

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

Thanks and didnt mean to sound rude if i did. I just dont know what to do now.

Are you talking about PNG images?

Yes, they will look funky in IE6. IE6 was a terrible web browser and already just in the last 2 years, its market share has shrunk from 90% to 20%.

PNG images allow incredible flexibility in design. Buttons can be designed that are compatible with ALL color backgrounds. Gradients can flow properly over other backgrounds. I'm sorry if it doesn't look the way you'd hoped in IE6 but the forum is still usable. More and more websites are going to break in IE6 as people embrace web standards instead of the Microsoft-specific monstrosity of IE6 web design. We could have been using PNGs 5 years ago to produce beautiful, flexible, powerful websites with transparent images, automatic drop shadows, rounded corners, etc. but Microsoft had to be complete idiots and include half-baked support for PNG in IE6. Well, it's time to move forward.

Comment

• Andreas
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by feldon23
                              When you say vBulletin 3 doesn't work in some browsers, are you referring to older browsers or newer browsers?
                              I don't think he was talking about vBulletin 3

I ask because i am trying to leave IPB because of basically the same thing. 3.0 looks terrible at best and doesnt even work in some browsers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...