Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • briemmara
    • Mar 2009

Can someone explain to me how this all works

I was a member of a vbulletin site which closed down last week and we are wanting to start our own but I am completely not at all tech savvy so Im after some informtion about how to set one up and where to start and how it all works basically.

I assume I need to buy a licence from vbulletin to get a forum started do I then need to find a web host (and if so how) or do vbulletin provide all of that?

Then what?
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by briemmara
    I was a member of a vbulletin site which closed down last week and we are wanting to start our own but I am completely not at all tech savvy so Im after some informtion about how to set one up and where to start and how it all works basically.

I assume I need to buy a licence from vbulletin to get a forum started do I then need to find a web host (and if so how) or do vbulletin provide all of that?

Then what?
    First of all: domain name
    With the domain name find a host(Database: preferebly php5)
    Buy the vB licence.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

You'll need to get a domain name (godaddy.com?)
      Get a webhost with PHP/MySQL (webhostingtalk.com to find one)
      Buy and install vBulletin

Comment

• mouseglider
        • Apr 2009
        • 3.8.x

If you already have a couple of domain names can you put the forum on one domain and then later on move it to you other domain? In other words, does the forum "have to be" assoicated with the setup domain, or can it be moved easily to another domain without a new setup if that makes any sense.

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

@mouseglider, first the politeness suggest that you start your own thread for your own questions...

Jelsoft provide only the software for the forum, you will have to check for a host for the details about your website.

the best thing for a newcomer is to find a hosting package that provide all the needed details, like a database and ftp access... there is a lot of answers here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• mouseglider
            • Apr 2009
            • 3.8.x

nexialys,

Oops, sorry for jumping in as I have been on a few other types of forums and if someone were asking questions which seem similiar, they are I guess posted in the same thread, so as not have a gazillion single question threads.

So I apologize to everyone in this thread. I will start my own and read more on the proper place to post my thread. Confusing at first - sorry again to all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...