Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fratal
    • Oct 2008

What details do I need to provide?

Somebody is transferring an owned license to me. I have already paid him.

He is requesting my:

Name
    Address
    Telephone Number
    Email

For the license transferring.

Do I have to provide him with these info? Or is it fraud?
  • Iwantvb
    • Sep 2008

I wanted do it. Just for the heck of it, you never know if it's fraud. But even tho I don't know much about VB and transferring license, I would just buy one from VB to be safe.

Comment

• wda2015
      • May 2001

i would ask for the licence number and password for the members area then change the password and then ask vb to update you address for it..
      Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

• Fratal
        • Oct 2008

He already gave me the license number and it's valid, but I have already paid him and he's asking for these details.

I want to know whether I have to give it to him in order for the license to be transferred.

I want a confirmed answer from somebody who actually knows...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

We require that information in order to create a customer account for you when the license is transferred. Without it, we will not be able to transfer the license into your name.

License Transfer Policy

Because of a large amount of fraud relating to license transfers, we have a policy regarding the transfer of vBulletin licenses. We regret if this causes a problem, but this is necessary to protect not only ourselves, but the purchasers of licenses who are victims of these scams.

The policy states:

Jelsoft may, in its discretion, allow you to transfer your license to another party, providing the license:
          - has not already been transferred in the previous 12 months; and
          - was purchased more than 3 months in the past.
          -is an active owned license
          *Please note, leased licenses are not eligible for transfer

You can read this policy under the license agreement here:

Before transferring the license, we will email the prospective new owner the details of the license. Once we receive confirmation from them, the license transfer will occur. They will be emailed with their new customer number and password.

Also note that once a license is transferred, the transfer CANNOT be rescinded. Make absolutely sure you want to do this.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by WEBDosser
            i would ask for the licence number and password for the members area then change the password and then ask vb to update you address for it..
            He would be refused on any requests to change the license because he wouldn't be the owner of the license until after it is transferred to him by Us directly. Just having the customer ID and password doesn't make him the owner. The entire process is to prevent license theft which is a lot more prevalent than you would think.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...