Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helloworld1
    • Feb 2009

Mailing List integration

Hello, i have a large forum now using FUdForum, and it is also integrated with a mailing list. The mailing list integration is critical for us, since our main developers never log into the forum, and are ONLY available in the mailing list.

I have two questions:

Does Vbulletin have mailing list integration built-in. I don't want any hacks, since as I said, mailing list is the most critical part, and forum is kind of secondary.

Is Fudforum -> Vbulletin migration safe? What will be the cost to get this accomplished?
  • Nick
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.8.x

vBulletin cannot be used as a mailing list where members can respond to each others' post via e-mail (like with Yahoo Groups). There are most likely hacks that can accomplish this, but not stock vBulletin.

ImpEx does support FUD Forum:
    FUD Forum
    Tier = 2
    Source version support in ImpEx = 2.x
    • Import Usergroup
    • Import User
    • Import Forum
    • Import Thread
    • Import Post
    • Import Smilie
    • Import Poll
    • Import Private Messages
    • Import Moderator
    • Import Attachment
    Regards,
    Nick

Comment

• helloworld1
      • Feb 2009

Thanks for the response, but i am not sure you understand the concept. I don't want Vbulletin to be used as a maling list, instead, a separate mailing list has to be piped into Vbulletin, and also Vbulletin has to send out an email to the list, when a post is made.

It is merely a matter of importing a message via command line into the forum, and sending out a single mail to the mailing list when a post is made. It would extremely simple to have this, and fudforum has had this built-in for a long time, and it works perfectly.

There will be separate mailing list software running, and we just need a two way communcation between Vbulletin and this mailing list.

Originally posted by Nick
      vBulletin cannot be used as a mailing list where members can respond to each others' post via e-mail (like with Yahoo Groups). There are most likely hacks that can accomplish this, but not stock vBulletin.

ImpEx does support FUD Forum:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump

I need Vbulletin company itself to handle the migration, and i just need the cost to do this. I am sure that Vbulletin would be offering paid migration services to customers.

thanks.

Comment

• helloworld1
        • Feb 2009

There is a very detailed discussion here, but i can't find out whether it was satisfactorily resolved. The thread explains in detail the need for this feature, and it is really surprising that nobody from Vbulletin has addressed it.

Is this feature ready now?

I would have thought forum -> Mailing list integration would be an integral part of forums.

Comment

• SoftDux
          • May 2007
          • 3.5.x

Hi helloworld1,

Althought forums weren't made to communicate like newservers / mailing lists, this can be done with some vBulletin mods:

SA WebHosting Talk - Running on vBulletin 3.6.0

Comment

• SoftDux
            • May 2007
            • 3.5.x

Hi helloworld1,

Do you have a separate email address setup for every forum, on your site? And are the developers subscribed to a mailing list like mailman or something?

Can regular users subscribe to the mailing list, or don't you want them to?

Comment

• helloworld1
              • Feb 2009

Yes, currently each forum has its own mailing list, and there is a separate ezmlm mailing list.

I would need something that would work transparently across version upgrades, something properly integrated into the system.

I will check the mods, which hopefully stands for modules, rather than 'modifications'.

Comment

• helloworld1
                • Feb 2009

What exactly are 'modifications'? Are they actually patches? I have just glanced across PhpBB 'mods' and was appalled to find that they were patches that had to be applied manually. I definitely do not want to make code modifications to the main forum.

The forum users are completely unaware of the mailing list, and there is no need for them to know about it at all. The mailing list is for developers, while the forum is for users, and there should be communication both ways so that developers can answer users, and vice-versa.

Comment

• SoftDux
                  • May 2007
                  • 3.5.x

You cannot compare vBulletin to phpBB. phpBB is by no means as mature as VB, and never will be. Nor is it at all the same, in terms of design, functionality, and support.

Mods, are you have guessed are modifications. Althought, the word modification is very vague, so it could mean something different to you, than to me, than to another person. Some CMS's will use the term component, others will use addon, other modules, others modifications. At the end of the day they do the same, IMO.

The developers of the Mods are normally very active, and most of the times very passionate forum owners / admins / devs. This means that a mod with a good rating will most of the times be gaurenteed to work on later versions of VB. I have a VB 3.6.8 (don't have money to upgrade this one )& 3.7.0 (still need to upgrade) and a lot of mods that I use on 3.6, works on 3.7 as well. It's really well worth it.

For what it's worth, I used to have a phpBB forum and then 'upgraded' to VB - which was the best thing yet. My second project was a VB one, without even thinking about it.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by helloworld1
                    Thanks for the response, but i am not sure you understand the concept. I don't want Vbulletin to be used as a maling list, instead, a separate mailing list has to be piped into Vbulletin, and also Vbulletin has to send out an email to the list, when a post is made.
                    I think he understood fine. You want to be able to post to vBulletin via e-mail. This is impossible. I wish it were possible because I would have moved a Yahoo Groups list to vBulletin years ago, but it's just not something they want to do.

I need Vbulletin company itself to handle the migration, and i just need the cost to do this. I am sure that Vbulletin would be offering paid migration services to customers.
                    Well then you are "sure" of something that does not exist. vBulletin does not do custom solutions.

Comment

• feldon23
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.7.x

What exactly are 'modifications'? Are they actually patches? I have just glanced across PhpBB 'mods' and was appalled to find that they were patches that had to be applied manually. I definitely do not want to make code modifications to the main forum.
                      Most vBulletin add-ons operate by uploading an XML file and one or two PHP files. It's not "hacking" like was required in phpBB.

But if you are not willing to make substantial modifications to your vBulletin, then "posting by e-mail" is not gonna happen. Sorry.

I think vBulletin is shutting the door on a huge customer base by not allowing post-by-e-mail but they chose to not support it a long time ago and have not budged.

There are other options. You can set vBulletin to display posts made via RSS and then your developers can post via RSS.

Comment

• beishe8
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by feldon23
                        it's just not something they want to do.
                        I'm in the same uncomfortable shoes.
                        Why don't they want to implement it ?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• calande
                          • Sep 2004

It's sad. It's an essential feature. Many people would love the convenience not to have to log into a web page to respond, and to send a reply from an email client. I hope vB addresses this lack of functionality soon.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

While vBulletin doesn't have this capability in its default featureset at this time, it is possible through a free third-party addon.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...