Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • y2krazy
    • Jul 2003

Sub-Domains and the ULA

First, if this is in the incorrect forum, I apologize.

Ok, so, I read the sticky regarding the usage of single or multiple licenses per domain, but I had a more, erm, specific question regarding a similar thought.

Q: If I would like to run 1 vBulletin license and forum installation, but have a subdomain, ie - http://subdomain.yoursite.com/ point to a specific category of forums, would that require multiple licenses?

In more detail, I would like to have a general, all-encompassing website at http://www.yoursite.com/, but have some, not all, subforums accessed via a subdomain on the same vBulletin installation. Is that a possibility or what exactly are my options.

Thank you in advance!!

~ Sean
  • TomJames
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.8.x

I believe (emphasis on believe) that you can have sub-domains point to various sections of the forum, however you cannot hide them and make them only accessible from those sub-domains. So in effect you can't create the appearance of several separate sites via the use of sub-domains.

Not one hundred percent sure though.
    - TomJames

Comment

• Magick
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.7.x

i also *believe* that as long as you are always pointing to the same global content (all forums/categories are accessible from both links) and not hiding the forums from the subdomain you are good to go.

Comment

• y2krazy
        • Jul 2003

So, for example, someone goes to the subdomain below:

... and gets redirected to:

That would be ok, so long as it does not block any of the other existing forums on that installation? Ie - they would go to the navbar and somehow find their way back to the main forumhome.

Thanks for the help thus far!

~ Sean

Comment

• y2krazy
          • Jul 2003

Anyone?

~ Sean

Comment

• Nick
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by y2krazy
            So, for example, someone goes to the subdomain below:

... and gets redirected to:

That would be ok, so long as it does not block any of the other existing forums on that installation? Ie - they would go to the navbar and somehow find their way back to the main forumhome.

Thanks for the help thus far!

~ Sean
            Correct. It can be a redirect, but it cannot take them to a sub-forum that is not available any other way.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...