Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmaxwell
    • Jan 2009

Versioning question, 3.x.x or 4.x.x

I am looking at getting vBullentin as it fits 100% with the site I am building.

However, I noticed that they are going to be releasing v4 soon and with the addition to the layout formatting tools and such would it be best to wait for the new version?

I don't want to get knee deep into formatting and such and then have to start over with the upgrade.

Another thing I have to think about is the upgrades following the v4 release. Would it be wiser to go pick up v3.8.x and work with it for a while giving v4 time to get all the bugs smoothed out?

Right now its a bit of money for me to shell out as I am just getting started and have no money coming in from the site as of yet. The main goal for money is for the site to make enough to pay for itself. (Software and hosting) Start small...
    Last edited by dmaxwell; Wed 14 Jan '09, 8:54am.
  • NegativeSmoke
    • Apr 2008

vBulletin 4.x is still in early development stages and won't have any previews seen til mid-end of this year, so I would go with 3.8 and build on that, seeing as vB4 will be awhile to be 'out the door' to say the least.

You'd be waiting atleast a year before you'd be able to install any type of vBulletin 4 forum.

Comment

• dmaxwell
      • Jan 2009

Good enough for me. I did not have (don't have) any idea of the release timing or process for this software so your feedback helps.

I will probably work out the details now and buy the current version. 8)

Thank you

Comment

• NegativeSmoke
        • Apr 2008

You're welcome. glad I could be of assistance.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

vBulletin 4 will see a public preview in early Q2 2009. That's April-May, not "mid-end of this year".

Comment

• Kinneas
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.8.x

All the same, a proper release will not be coming for quite a while. Waiting would be a bad idea.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...