Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insidedesign
    • May 2007

Tabless Template and vB 3.8

Can we expect vBulletin to be using a tableless template system with the release of vB 3.8?
  • TomJames
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.8.x

No. I believe that will be coming with VB4
    - TomJames

Comment

• insidedesign
      • May 2007

Originally posted by TomJames
      No. I believe that will be coming with VB4
      Wow, that is very unfortunate.

Comment

• KevinL
        • Apr 2005
        • 3.8.x

The only site that I have seen use this is http://www.ayyas.com/

And it's probably one of the best sites I have ever seen
        HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
        Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

• insidedesign
          • May 2007

Originally posted by KevinL
          The only site that I have seen use this is http://www.ayyas.com/

And it's probably one of the best sites I have ever seen
          Wow, beautiful website. What language is this? I would like to use translate.google.com, but you need to know the language first.

Also, maybe we could encourage the designer to work with the vB team in order to release a CSS template?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Tables are good, not using tables whent ables are called for is just bad pratice.

Comment

• insidedesign
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
              Tables are good, not using tables whent ables are called for is just bad pratice.
              Tables are not intended for page layout and design purposes, but for laying out tabular data. This is what I am referring to when I speak of a tableless vb skin design.

Anything else is simply outdated and poor.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by insidedesign
                Tables are not intended for page layout and design purposes, but for laying out tabular data. This is what I am referring to when I speak of a tableless vb skin design.

Anything else is simply outdated and poor.
                But then it wouldn't be a tableless design, it'd be well structured and semantic HTML.

Comment

• insidedesign
                  • May 2007

But then it wouldn't be a tableless design, it'd be well structured and semantic HTML.
                  I think there is some confusion about what tabular data is. When I refer to tabular data, I am referring to things such as a calendar or tables of numbers. In the case of vbulletin, not threads, not posts, and anything else that has to do with layout.

I understand that vBulletin is nearly 100% database driven, but that does not mean it should all be laid out in a tables.
                  That was the 90s.

This is now. Websites are now driven by table less design. There are MANY reason why this is better, but I am sure you already understand this.

To be honest, I have no idea why a member of the vB support staff is so resistant to a CSS based layout. Especially when I consider vBulletin to be one of the best, and longest running, scripts available!

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

I think you misunderstand me. I don't want a tableless design for the sake of not using tables. I want a well writen, well coded, semantic html markup. If this is done it should not have tables for design.

Comment

• insidedesign
                      • May 2007

I think you misunderstand me. I don't want a tableless design for the sake of not using tables. I want a well writen, well coded, semantic html markup. If this is done it should not have tables for design.
                      Great, we agree 100% then

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                        • Sep 2006

Elements such as menu items, (as in the navbar), should not be using tables. This same effect can be done with <div> tags and CSS or <ul> tags and CSS.

The showthread.php uses tables to display posts. This also can be achieved using <div> tags, as well as others. I see no real good reason to use tables for the sake of design purposes.

Regardless, people argue back and forth on this subject (CSS vs Table layouts) and we're really getting nowhere until all browsers support CSS, xhtml, etc the same way.
                        No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• insidedesign
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by jmurrayhead
                          until all browsers support CSS, xhtml, etc the same way.
                          Unfortunately, this will never happen.

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by insidedesign
                            Unfortunately, this will never happen.
                            Most likely true...but they are getting better at following the standards set by W3C. I don't think they will all ever have the same support, but we have already seen dramatic improvements with IE7...and from what I've seen with IE8, MS has done even more. I've only seen a few minor issues with FireFox so far.

Anyway...there are things that can be done to vBulletin that are supported very well across most browsers so that we can move away from the old school table layouts and more towards the CSS-driven layouts.
                            No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Div speghetti is just as bad as nested tables at the end of the day.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...