Forum serial number, and does it "call home" ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NetNanny
    • Oct 2008

Forum serial number, and does it "call home" ?

OK, after reading some more articles I have another question.

I have read that the board software serial number, or some unique value that each customer gets - call it what you will, is actually embedded in the forum software itself as it is running. I can understand why - when a piracy report is made, the first thing Jelsoft checks (I guess) is for that number. Is this a secret kind of process or can anyone search and find this value - assuming they know what to look for ? I already assume, since reading that each download is unique and has this serial in the zip file, that this number is in one or more of the php files. Then once a forum is up and running, even an empty one for arguement's sake, that someone can look at the source of the files and see that serial. Is this so ?

Something else I wondered about before, was if vbulletin contains any code or means that enables the forum software to send information back to Jelsoft or any of it's partners automatically and without the specific consent of the board owner. Does for example, vbulletin send any kind of notification each time a vbulletin forum is installed ?

Also after reading the following statement I wonder the following.
    Pirate Reports is currently ONLY focussing on the expanding requirements of vBulletin and is not actively seeking new clients’ but if you feel you have a software that needs protection, is visible in use, and your customer database can properly support anti piracy action (often under penalty of perjury if incorrect) we will be happy to discuss your problem and a resolution.
    Emphasis mine.

What does "visible in use" mean, exactly ?
    I, take it to mean that the forum must be publicly accessible, i.e. without needing passwords to get to it. And i don't mean passwords that the vbulletin software itself requires - rather that the site itself (via .htaccess or such) requires it. So for all intensive purposes, anyone not authorized, would not even see what forum software is used. Am I right ?

As for that 2nd statement it has me worried. It's vague - no doubt by choice. I take it to mean that you have code (active or dormant) or the capability in vbulletin that can extract information from a user's database and send this to an entity of your choice. Am I wrong ?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

From the license agreement:

From time to time, Jelsoft may inspect your registration integrity. This will be done without collecting any information whatsoever about your server or your users. The only information verified will be your license number and the domain on which the software is run. Should Jelsoft discover discrepancies in the software usage, be aware that you may lose your license and may face legal actions for Software Piracy. Your information will not be shared with 3rd parties. Occasionally, it is necessary to record your IP address for security and performance monitoring.
    I cannot comment on the quote from the PirateReports.com site. It isn't relevant to your vBulletin license and only relevant if you wish to hire that company for your anti-piracy needs. You should ask any questions about the PirateReports.com website on their website.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NetNanny
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NetNanny
      Something else I wondered about before, was if vbulletin contains any code or means that enables the forum software to send information back to Jelsoft or any of it's partners automatically and without the specific consent of the board owner. Does for example, vbulletin send any kind of notification each time a vbulletin forum is installed ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

This is covered by the clause I quoted from the license agreement above. Yes, it calls home and you agree to this by purchasing and downloading the software.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• StarShaper
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.8.x

This "home calling" is ridiculous. A nulled version of vB doesn't call home. it's just a way to collect statistic data.

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by StarShaper
            This "home calling" is ridiculous. A nulled version of vB doesn't call home. it's just a way to collect statistic data.
            Why is it ridiculous? vBulletin is Jelsoft's property, and they have the legal right for the software to "phone home" for statistical data, as you've put it.
            Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

It doesn't even collect statistical data. It collects the license ID and the URL.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DelphiVillage
                • Apr 2002
                • 4.1.x

hi,

All vBulletin source files (except for javascript files) contain a header "vBulletin version_number_here licenceid xxxxxx" (in php files) but you shouldn't be concerned about that.After all the licence owner is the one and only person who can view the vBulletin sourcefiles .... secondly if somebody knows your licenceid they can't do anything with it.Your vBulletin licenceid and your login information for the membersarea are two completely different things

about the calling home yes vBulletin "calls home" this is done to notify you about updates (and urgent updates like security patches for example) as long as you stick by the licence agreement you will never have to deal with piracyrteports

Comment

• Kinneas
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Calling home would only be of concern if the software also included a killswitch, which it does not. The only reason it's there is to prevent piracy, something which I personally have no problem with.

OTOH, if it came with SecuROM like some EA games...

Comment

• hitmancode47
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

A nulled version of vB doesn't call home.
                    A nulled version is illegal. And of course it doesnt call home. Why would it?

And i know a little about this call home function, as wayne said
                    All the information it sends is the license number and the URL to the forums.
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• uberjon
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Kinneas
                      Calling home would only be of concern if the software also included a killswitch, which it does not. The only reason it's there is to prevent piracy, something which I personally have no problem with.

OTOH, if it came with SecuROM like some EA games...
                      exactly my belief as well! Vbulletin is a quality piece of software. and i have not once been affected negatively in anyway/shape/form by the callhome system.. if anything it has lowered prices, in doing so affected me in a positive way! (and Vbulletin could easily sell for 300$+ its that kind of quality!)

Comment

• NetNanny
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        It doesn't even collect statistical data. It collects the license ID and the URL.
                        How often does it send this information ?
                        ie: Only when first installed, every week or month ? randomly ?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

When you login to the admincp, the version checker checks to see if there is an updated version.

Comment

• NetNanny
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Zachery
                            When you login to the admincp, the version checker checks to see if there is an updated version.
                            So you mean "Every time you log in to the admincp it checks for a new version and also sends your license ID and url to make sure it's a legit copy." ?

Comment

• DelphiVillage
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by NetNanny
                              So you mean "Every time you log in to the admincp it checks for a new version and also sends your license ID and url to make sure it's a legit copy." ?
                              you are a little curious about the 'calling home' feature if you ask me.As long as you are legally licenced that feature is nothing to worry about

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...