X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RuiManuel
    • Jul 2008

Want do buy a legal VBulletin

Hi there, VBulletin team.

Some months ago I bought from a "friend" a version of VBulletin, wich I now know is the 3.6.10 version of your software.

The problem is I suspect that what I bought was a non legal version of VBulletin, because I dont really own a license number or something like that.

I am getting upset with this situation, since I have a comunnity of 620 active members wich I dont want to be involved with piracy of any kind.

So I decided to forget the past and buy your new version of this wonderful software, but I have a problem: I cant loose a single bit of my previous data in my present database (wich is working perfectly), and I dont have the knowledge to upgrade from my present version 3.6.10 to the new one, 3.8.0.

If I buy this new version will I have somebody from you to do this for me, please?

Thanks again.
    Rui.
  • jmurrayhead
    • Sep 2006

They have a fee for installation...but since you have vB 3.6.10, all you have to do is upload the new files and run the upgrade script per the user manual. Be sure to back up your database.
    No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• RuiManuel
      • Jul 2008

how much is the fee?

Comment

• Tauhid
        • Jun 2006
        • 3.8.x

You can open up a support ticket for such moves but vbulletin.com will charge you and so will most people in vbulletin.org who offers such services. 3.7.4 is the current gold version so you should upgrade to that instead of the 3.8 beta..Pricing for installation and upgrades is 170, check here for details:

Comment

• RuiManuel
          • Jul 2008

thanks.
          it is saying:

Professional Installation
          If you select this service, our server technicians will install vBulletin directly onto your server.

Note: Each service ordered covers installation of one license on one server. Installation does not include importation of posts, user information, or styles from other forum software. Once the installation worksheet is filled out correctly, the installation is assigned to one of our Techs and is usually completed within 1-2 business days (not including weekends.)

which means that even paying they wont import my database.

Comment

• jmurrayhead
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by RuiManuel
            thanks.
            it is saying:

Professional Installation
            If you select this service, our server technicians will install vBulletin directly onto your server.

Note: Each service ordered covers installation of one license on one server. Installation does not include importation of posts, user information, or styles from other forum software. Once the installation worksheet is filled out correctly, the installation is assigned to one of our Techs and is usually completed within 1-2 business days (not including weekends.)

which means that even paying they wont import my database.
            Since you're already running an instance of vBulletin, the upgrade doesn't require an import of data. And it specifically says "from other forum software". So you would be okay anyway.
            No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• NegativeSmoke
              • Apr 2008

Upgrading is easy, just read the user manual, and of course, back up your database before performing the upgrade.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                • Jul 2008
                • 3.8.x

To make things clear, this is what you need to do:

LEave your database where it is, uninstall the suspected pirated version, reinstall a LICENSED copy, and then in your config.php just enter the database, username and password, and it will automatically retreive your posts users usergroups etc.
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Tauhid
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by hitmancode47

LEave your database where it is, uninstall the suspected pirated version, reinstall a LICENSED copy, and then in your config.php just enter the database, username and password, and it will automatically retreive your posts users usergroups etc.
                  if the attachments, avatars, signatures are not stored in the database, then there is a problem...

Comment

• hitmancode47
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Avatars and signatures are. not sure about attachments though.
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Kinneas
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Working on the assumption that the vBulletin 3.6.10 you're running at the moment hasn't had any major modifications to the database, you should be able to go "legit" by simply removing the old files, uploading the latest version (Currently 3.7.4, 4.8 is still in Beta and not recommended for live boards), pointing the config.php to your database and then running the upgrade script. The vBulletin Manual should cover this, but if you encounter any problems you can also use the Support Ticket system once you have purchased a legitimate version.

As others have mentioned though, definately make a backup of your database first, in case anything goes wrong. It shoudln't, but it can never hurt to be careful

Comment

• NegativeSmoke
                        • Apr 2008

You don't need to uninstall, you download the version of the pirated copy of vB you are running, so say you run 3.6.10, you would download 3.6.10, overwrite all of your current files with the new licensed legit ones, re-alter config.php to match your old one.

you will then have a legally licensed board in which you can then upgrade to your desired version.

Comment

• blackfalcon
                          • Jan 2006

You dont need to uninstall the pirated version. All vb cares about is that you have purchased a copy per installation. It is all the same files. And, as I do think you need a license number to upgrade, that should make it legal.

P.s
                          NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a vb license from someone (unless that someone is vbulletin) without
                          A. Asking for a license number
                          B. Then contacting vbulletin to make sure it is valid.

Comment

• TomJames
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by blackfalcon
                            You dont need to uninstall the pirated version. All vb cares about is that you have purchased a copy per installation. It is all the same files.
                            The files may contain a backdoor or have some code in them that could potentially send harmful files to people using the site. Therefore it would be best to remove the files (leave the attachment directorys etc would be fine...), and upload the legit files from vB.
                            - TomJames

Comment

• blackfalcon
                              • Jan 2006

if you care updating, wouldnt it do this anyway?

But you probably know more about this than I do, so we shall follow your advice.

Comment