• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cobra-J82
    • Apr 2008
    • 4.2.X

Blog vs Forum

Hi,

Can anyone please explain what is the difference between blog and forum, and what is the main advantage of installing a blog in a forum.
    I have a website with a forum, and I want to get the blog but I dont know why lol.

Little explanation of blog advantages in a forum and how can it be used.
    Just to let you know, I have a forum of a popular singer, so any ideas how a blog can b usefull in there.

Thanks.
  • Hayk
    • Sep 2007
    • 5.2.x

You may start from a simple comparison

Forum: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Blog: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php
    vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
    vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Forums are a community oriented discussion platform that is often described as a many-to-many discussion area. Anyone can make topics and anyone can reply.

Blogs are more personal. Individual users control their blogs. They can create topics and others can reply provided they have permission from the owner. This is a one-to-many discussion platform. Blogs also allow the user to customize the experience in different ways, essentially creating their own space on the internet.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Cobra-J82
        Hi,

Can anyone please explain what is the difference between blog and forum, and what is the main advantage of installing a blog in a forum.
        I have a website with a forum, and I want to get the blog but I dont know why lol.

Little explanation of blog advantages in a forum and how can it be used.
        Just to let you know, I have a forum of a popular singer, so any ideas how a blog can b usefull in there.

Thanks.
        Blog:
        I'd say - A blog is mainly for people who enjoy writing articles, and only really want to read replies to your articles. And nothing much of anything else!

Forum:
        A forum is for open discussion, were it's not just you creating and posting stuff, but anybody who joins your forum board.

Luke said it better than me, and I echo his idea of them both.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Forums are a community oriented discussion platform that is often described as a many-to-many discussion area. Anyone can make topics and anyone can reply.

Blogs are more personal. Individual users control their blogs. They can create topics and others can reply provided they have permission from the owner. This is a one-to-many discussion platform. Blogs also allow the user to customize the experience in different ways, essentially creating their own space on the internet.
        It should be said though, that blogs like WordPress does have settings to allow you to let other people create there own stuff. But personally, I see that as a flaw in Wordpress. And not really what a blog should allow. But that's me!
        Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 17 Nov '08, 11:29am.

Comment

• Cobra-J82
          • Apr 2008
          • 4.2.X

Hi,

All replies here are appreciated
          I will go have a look at some blogs just to get some idea and try to see how it is usefull in my website, but I like the whole concept, so it is like a personal page a user can create and people can come in and look and reply (ofcourse there are permissions), sounds real good.

Again really thankful for all and for the fast reply,
          Cheers.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

If you want to check-out a blog first. I would advice you checkout: Wordpress

It's probably the best and most used blogging system

Comment

• Cobra-J82
              • Apr 2008
              • 4.2.X

Okay I went ther and I saw, man that place is all blogs everywhere lol, the whole website is blogs and based on blogs.
              Let me stick with the blogs examples here in vbulletin at least Its easier for me to understand it through here,
              Thank you.

Comment