X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimosity
    • Nov 2008
    • 3.7.x

Can vBulletin do this?

I am a phpBB user and would like to migrate to another forum software; but I'm wanting to make sure it can handle the options that I'm looking for.

These are the things that I need:

I am creating a site for a music community and it will have normal users that register with no special needs; but I would like to have the ability for some users (Artists) to have the option to request an 'Artist' account that gives them the ability to enter their show dates, website information and other news about their music. Then, I would like this information to be accessible by all other users; i.e.; Having an 'Artists' tab at the top of the forum that will list all of the registered artists, then users can click on each artist to find out more about them, have a link to their website, a link to a streaming audio track, a band photo, news, event dates, etc.

I would also like a similar section for 'Venues' so that venues can be put into the system so their information is easily accessible (address; directions, etc.)

I would then like to have a calendar of the events that are entered by the artists so that on the main page of the site, it can have a week worth of events in a list format; i.e.:
    DATE - ARTIST - VENUE

Can vBulletin do this?
    If so, is there a sample site I can see with it in place?
    If a mod is needed to give these options, which mod or how would I find it?
    If vBulletin CAN'T do it, are there any suggestions as to others that can?

Thanks for your time.
  • NegativeSmoke
    • Apr 2008

Can vBulletin do this? - Probably with some custom modifying to the code and/or a plugin
    If so, is there a sample site I can see with it in place? Not off the top of my head.
    If a mod is needed to give these options, which mod or how would I find it? Try vBulletin.org
    If vBulletin CAN'T do it, are there any suggestions as to others that can? Seeing as how we are a support forum for vBulletin, We won't provide you with links to alternative, competing softwares, try searching google for alternatives to vBulletin if it is found that it is not for you.

Comment

• Carnage-
      • Jan 2005
      • 3.8.x

the artists thing can be done with custom profile fields; getting them to display on a special page could probably be achieved fairly easilly with a plugin.

the venues part - depends how you want to do it really; there are a good number of mods avaliable that may fit the spec; check over at vbulletin.org and see what they've got.
      Some of my Mods:
      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
      Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
      Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

• hitmancode47
        • Jul 2008
        • 3.8.x

am creating a site for a music community and it will have normal users that register with no special needs; but I would like to have the ability for some users (Artists) to have the option to request an 'Artist' account that gives them the ability to enter their show dates, website information and other news about their music. Then, I would like this information to be accessible by all other users; i.e.; Having an 'Artists' tab at the top of the forum that will list all of the registered artists, then users can click on each artist to find out more about them, have a link to their website, a link to a streaming audio track, a band photo, news, event dates, etc.
        for that, make a new usergroup called "Artists" and then set permissions make a new forum so ONLY they can post in there (Admins aswell obviously :P), also as stated above you might wanna try making Custom profile fields aswell, as they can allow for information to be stored in the actual users profile.

I would also like a similar section for 'Venues' so that venues can be put into the system so their information is easily accessible (address; directions, etc.)
        Link them to google maps with a pre plotted route etc.

I would then like to have a calendar of the events that are entered by the artists so that on the main page of the site, it can have a week worth of events in a list format; i.e.:
        DATE - ARTIST - VENUE
        vBulletin default calender would work perfectly for that.
        Just set the permissions again and make sure only the "Artists" can make new events etc. either that or to actually get the calender on the index page, you could try a website portal (vBulletin one, downloadable from vbulletin.org)

All the above can be done with the default vBulletin installation, no plugins/mods required and they work a treat.

However if you do want a vBulletin modification, you first need to be a licensed customer and go to www.vbulletin.org (Remember to enter your LICENSED email address or you wont be able to download)
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...