Clear All
  • craiovaforum
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.7.x

Yet another multiple domains question

Hi,

Here's the deal:
    My current board runs at http://www.domain1.com/forums
    At http://www.domain1.com shows a vbadvanced cmps portal.
    I want my board to be accesible from a second domain, so http://www.domain2.com/forums will have the exact same content as the first. The only difference will be that http://www.domain2.com will show another vbadvanced page.

Will I, in this case, require two vbulletin licenses?
    Both domains will have the same content, same database, will look exactly the same except the vbadvanced portal page.

Thanks in advance

Cosmin
    Last edited by craiovaforum; Tue 2 Sep '08, 4:31am.
  • DelphiVillage
    • Apr 2002
    • 4.1.x

hi,

this is ok look there

Comment

• craiovaforum
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by DelphiVillage
      hi,

this is ok look there
      Thanks but I've already read that post.
      My situation however is not fully covered by that post and I'm waiting for an answer from somebody in the vbulletin team to confirm my guess (that I don't need another license).
      VBAdvanced is, after all, a vbulletin plugin and one may say that by making it look different on the second domain I will need another license.
      I don't think that's the case since my forumhome will be the same on both domains.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Okay... Let's take a look at this here:

A license is assigned to a single URL. Your forums should only be accessible from the URL. Domain2.com would have to have a permanent redirect to domain1.com for our anti-piracy agents to know that the site is licensed. If it does not redirect then you will need two licenses.

You are going to install an addon that will have two different looks and functionality depending on whether you go to Domain1.com or Domain2.com. This particular addon cannot accomplish this without 2 databases as it ships. That requires two licenses, even if the content is the same on both domains.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• craiovaforum
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Okay... Let's take a look at this here:

A license is assigned to a single URL. Your forums should only be accessible from the URL. Domain2.com would have to have a permanent redirect to domain1.com for our anti-piracy agents to know that the site is licensed. If it does not redirect then you will need two licenses.

You are going to install an addon that will have two different looks and functionality depending on whether you go to Domain1.com or Domain2.com. This particular addon cannot accomplish this without 2 databases as it ships. That requires two licenses, even if the content is the same on both domains.
          Jake Bunce wrote here this:
          Specific cases:

1. Your forum is accessable from multiple domains but the content is the same for each link. This is OK and does not require multiple licenses. My site is an example of a multi-domain setup that is allowed:

Choose a memorable domain name. Professional, friendly customer support. Start using your domain right away.

Notice how each domain points to exactly the same content.
          Except for the free vba CMPS software situation (2 different pages - different modules, same database) our situation is EXACTLY as described in that post.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Then why ask the question if you're not going to agree with the answer. The answer above is technically correct however you can be contacted by the anti-piracy department and have to deal with that if domain2.com does not redirect to domain1.com for the forum content.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...