Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac1d1dty
    • Jul 2008

Getting vBulletin....

I've been contemplating it for a bit of time now but am a bit stuck in regards some questions.

I tried out the demo section and it was pretty intuitive which is cool. My main worry though is hackers.

The last thing I want is to do my stuff and then to lose it all. Is there a "safe" where I can store stuff.

Could someone post me in the direction of some good hosting. I will be using my site in conjunction with an online shop which I hope to start. Obviously the traffic will be fairly low at first, but im confident that it will balloon pretty soon.

Also my final question: I have 2 domain names (one happens to be a 2 digit on that was expired ). Anyway, can I legally install vBulletin on one of those domains for like a week before removing it entirely and putting on my proper website?

I realise my questions are n00bs ones, but please bear with me
  • Nick
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.8.x

vBulletin is very safe as long as you are up-to-date on the software version.
    For example, a little while ago they released a security patch that protected vBulletin installations from a known security exploit. It was highly recommended that everybody upgrade.

You should always make frequent (daily or multiple times per day depending on the size of your board) database backups, which can be stored on your computer or in a protected area on your server. However, on your computer is a good idea.

As far as hosting, you may want to check out this site for recommendations:

These are the minimum system requirements:
    PHP 4.3.3
    MySQL 4.0.16

These are recommended:
    PHP 5.2.5 or later
    APC or similar PHP cache
    MySQL 5.0.51 or later
    (http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php)

You are allowed to run one vBulletin installation for every license you have, and in addition you get one Testing board, which must be protected via .htaccess and only you may access it.
    Password protection with .htaccess:

http://www.webmastersguide.com/htacc...s.htm#password

And yes, you can move your installation to different domains as long as you are running only one copy and that you keep the domain up-to-date in your Member's Area.
    Regards,
    Nick

Comment

• NegativeSmoke
      • Apr 2008

Well I hope you decide to join the vB Family VB is very reliable, secure and customizable! It's right up to par with IPB, but in my opinion, vB has a better set-up (currently) than IPB.

Comment

• ac1d1dty
        • Jul 2008

Go on then XD

On confirmation of the below, consider yourself richer

1: will it run on the current hosting? Details below

Server IP Address:*******
        Operating System: Windows
        Hosting Configuration:

.Net Runtime Version:
        ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5
        IIS Version:
        IIS 6.0

Number of MSSQL Databases:
        0 Setup of 1 Available

Number of MySQL Databases:
        0 Setup of 10 Available

Bandwidth Allotment:
        300,000 MB

Disk Space Allotment:
        10,000 MB

2: I can change the domain around. I want to use it with domain number 1 atm, but will be using either domain 2 or 3 permanently.

3: I can have some help if I need setting it up.

4: just to confirm that I get free upgrades for everything for one year, then after that I get upgrades for everything for free if I pay $40 a year?

5: It will kick ass :P joke lol.
        Last edited by ac1d1dty; Mon 28 Jul '08, 4:01pm.

Comment

• ac1d1dty
          • Jul 2008

oh and one other thing.

say for domain b and domain c.

Can I have a vbulletin forum on B running grand and then a section on domain c that when you click a link it will take you to domain B's vbulletin where users can see a sub forum (they can still see rest of site).

many thanks again

and one final final thing XD

To what extent can I stop someone hacking me and is there anything I can actually do? I will be active on it for most hours of the day (job allows me )

I take it I cant run the server at home? I think my pc will be powerful enough (Quad Core 45nm @ 3.6GhZ, 8Gb DDR 800Mhz, 8800GT, 2Tb 32mb 7200rpm + 1 10K rpm drive, but my internet is crap. (1mb line (100kb downstream), 100kbps upstream (15kbps upstream) with a latency of 30)
          Last edited by ac1d1dty; Mon 28 Jul '08, 4:26pm.

Comment

• Mr_Butter
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ac1d1dty
            Go on then XD

On confirmation of the below, consider yourself richer

1: will it run on the current hosting? Details below

<snip>
            You didn't provide PHP or MySQL version but most likely yes. You can download the test script to make sure.

Here are the requirements:

Code:
            [B]System Requirements[/B]
            Minimum
            PHP 4.3.3
            MySQL 4.0.16

Recommended
            PHP 5.2.5 or later
            [URL="http://pecl.php.net/package/APC"]APC[/URL] or similar PHP cache
            MySQL 5.0.51 or later

Operating Systems
            » Solaris
            » Linux
            » BSD
            » Windows™
            » Mac
            2: I can change the domain around. I want to use it with domain number 1 atm, but will be using either domain 2 or 3 permanently.
            Yes, you may switch the domain that you're using the site on through the member's area.

3: I can have some help if I need setting it up.
            of course!

4: just to confirm that I get free upgrades for everything for one year, then after that I get upgrades for everything for free if I pay $40 a year?
            I think it's either $40 or $60...I forget. I think it might be $40 as long as you renew within the month and after that it gets raised to $60 to keep updating.

But you will always have access to support with an owned licence.

5: It will kick ass :P joke lol.
            yes

oh and one other thing.

say for domain b and domain c.

Can I have a vbulletin forum on B running grand and then a section on domain c that when you click a link it will take you to domain B's vbulletin where users can see a sub forum (they can still see rest of site).

many thanks again
            Don't think I follow you. Simply this is how it works:

One licence allows you to install one copy of the forum. You can have as many domains as you want poinint to the forum as long as it's only installed once. You can also have a domain pointing to a subforum specifically. You just can't have more than one installation at once.

(The licence does however allow you to install a second one as a testing environment. This has to be under the /testvb/ directory and must be password protected and not accessible by the general public).

and one final final thing XD

To what extent can I stop someone hacking me and is there anything I can actually do? I will be active on it for most hours of the day (job allows me )

I take it I cant run the server at home? I think my pc will be powerful enough (Quad Core 45nm @ 3.6GhZ, 8Gb DDR 800Mhz, 8800GT, 2Tb 32mb 7200rpm + 1 10K rpm drive, but my internet is crap. (1mb line (100kb downstream), 100kbps upstream (15kbps upstream) with a latency of 30)
            I don't think vBulletin has any support if your site gets hacked. It's up to you to make daily backups of the database in case anything does happen. (or on larger forums you probably want hourly backups).

It's also very much your host's job to make sure their servers are secure.

And no, I would not advise running a webserver from home.

Comment

• ac1d1dty
              • Jul 2008

Thank you very much for your reply

I uploaded the test script to the server and opened it.

I was greeted by this :|

Dont have a rats ass of a clue in regards what to type in so I wrote anything

And failed

Its a Godaddy hosting account :| They have nothing about vBulletin on their site

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

I was greeted by this :|

Dont have a rats ass of a clue in regards what to type in so I wrote anything

And failed

You have to create a database.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• ac1d1dty
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by beishe8
                  You have to create a database.
                  Doing it now XD

thanks.

I just ****ed it up

I was creating my GoDaddy database. Selected MySQL 5 but the page timed out. Did it again, but forgot to change it back to MySQL 5 (default is ****ing 4.1)

Damn :@

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

I was creating my GoDaddy database.
                    Later on you should change your plan where you may have more then one database.
                    vBulletin lets you have a password protected forum where you can experiment with mods.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mr_Butter
                      • Apr 2005

I don't like godaddy very much for hosting. For some reason I'm inclined to tell you to try and use a different host.

I've had great experience with the following hosts:

www.asmallorange.com (great for small sites)
                      www.gfxgaming.com (not very well known but it's very good for medium-larger sites and i suppose small ones as well)

And I've heard good thing about hostgator but never used it myself.

Comment

• ac1d1dty
                        • Jul 2008

Okay sorted XD

Btw should I install DSN?

Will run test now.

Hopefully it will run

Comment

• ac1d1dty
                          • Jul 2008

DAMN

Its not working. Its saying Database Connection Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Ive got MySQL 5.......

p.s why is it on this forum that when I add a picture it shows up when im making this comment, but when its written it just shows the link?
                          Last edited by ac1d1dty; Tue 29 Jul '08, 4:17am.

Comment

• Freezerator
                            • May 2002
                            • 3.6.x

First try to learn and read how php with a database works.

Vbulletin is a script, with an database to store it's data in. To use your vbulletin, the php script needs to communicate with the mysql database. Therefore you need the following things:

Database location: localhost if the database and scripts are on the same server.
                            Mysql database: database name, because you can have multiple database's running under the same mysql server. A nice name would be vbulletin or for your test environment vbulletin_devel
                            Mysql username: the username who has access to the database name provided earlyer. It's adviced not to use the same usernames and passwords as the login to your webhosting. I usually set up specific users on a per database basis. Example: vbulletin_user
                            Mysql password: speaks for itself

Your pc is fast enough for hosting it, but your connection speed isn't. I don't suggest it hosting at home. Search a nice hosting company who is willing to help. Don't go for the cheapest, but look for service.
                            Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

• ac1d1dty
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Freezerator
                              First try to learn and read how php with a database works.

Vbulletin is a script, with an database to store it's data in. To use your vbulletin, the php script needs to communicate with the mysql database. Therefore you need the following things:

Database location: localhost if the database and scripts are on the same server.
                              Mysql database: database name, because you can have multiple database's running under the same mysql server. A nice name would be vbulletin or for your test environment vbulletin_devel
                              Mysql username: the username who has access to the database name provided earlyer. It's adviced not to use the same usernames and passwords as the login to your webhosting. I usually set up specific users on a per database basis. Example: vbulletin_user
                              Mysql password: speaks for itself

Your pc is fast enough for hosting it, but your connection speed isn't. I don't suggest it hosting at home. Search a nice hosting company who is willing to help. Don't go for the cheapest, but look for service.
                              I got that, but I dont know how to change MySQL permissions

Any chance of help?

I can log in here....

Any help would be much appreciated. I want to commit to buying vBulletin today, and once I am sure it will run its brought. Im just totally stuck :|

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...