• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jerry
    I dare say you don't know the reasons behind the decisions as to why ImpEx isn't going to modify the vBulletin database. What IPB and/or other systems do is their choice, this question is about vBulletin & ImpEx.
    What ever happened to the plugin you once talked about implementing? The one that would transfer IPB passwords over to vBulletin.

Comment

• Jerry
      • Dec 2002
      • 1.1.x

No change on the status of that.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• ikillbill
        • May 2008

I searched and found a similar problem on SPF->VBB and there is a module for that on .org. Why not IMPEX make a official function for us?

We have 50K members and to ask them to reset is a trouble for them and we are truely worried about the mess and traffic lose

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

ImpEx isn't going to modify the vBulletin database
          As jerry stated.

Comment

• awaisuk
            • May 2008

My database is really huge, and most of the members dont even know how to use the forum properly, so they are most likely just going to leave the forum when everything changes, that will be a big drop in users and traffic...

Comment

• awaisuk
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
              Here is a mod for vb 3.5 which edits the way vbulletin authenticates... the mod author changed the verification to match his SMF which he imported from. I don't think the files changed too much so you could probably do a similiar work around in 3.7 by replacing the SMF hashing scheme with the one for IPB.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=97243
              What are the chances for this working on IPB?

Comment

• Jerry
                • Dec 2002
                • 1.1.x

Originally posted by awaisuk
                My database is really huge, and most of the members dont even know how to use the forum properly, so they are most likely just going to leave the forum when everything changes, that will be a big drop in users and traffic...
                I have followed and been a part of this discussion for over 5 years now; I have never personally read of any person who as used ImpEx to import, reporting this after an import or showing any evidence of it to me what so ever.

The size of the user base is also irrelevant to the individual user, as each of them has the same experince of resetting a password, that dosen't change if a forum has 2 users or 2 million.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Vtec44
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by awaisuk
                  This is where a good admin comes in to set expectations and inform the users what to expect with the changes. If your forum is strong enough, then this change won't affect a thing. If your users will leave your forum because of this change, then maybe you should spend more of your effort in shaping your forum and less on switching the software.

Just my 2 cents...
                  So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• ikillbill
                    • May 2008

well, not every forum is so strong and don;t expect every forum member is very internet -familiar. some of our members don;t know they need to click url on verification email to get approved.

think forward and positive please and there is NO harm to put this transfer into practice?

Otherwise, maybe as long as your forum is strong enough, impex is NOT EVEN needed, isn't it true? your members will still come back even forum is empty

check SMF 's method amd please help us on making this happens

Comment

• Vtec44
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ikillbill
                      Otherwise, maybe as long as your forum is strong enough, impex is NOT EVEN needed, isn't it true? your members will still come back even forum is empty
                      Yep, happened before on several forums that I'm on.
                      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• ikillbill
                        • May 2008

3 weeks pased

can we have a formal last update from VBB official? yes or no that you are going to resolve this issue?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

No change on the status of that.
                          That would be that, as of this time ImpEx cannot import IPB passwords.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Not to be a "negative nancy" LOL@!, but in my past experiences when I converted and made members reset passwords about 1/3 of them never came back. Other forums systems have solved this issue, I really hope vBulletin considers fixing it too.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
                              Not to be a "negative nancy" LOL@!, but in my past experiences when I converted and made members reset passwords about 1/3 of them never came back. Other forums systems have solved this issue, I really hope vBulletin considers fixing it too.
                              Would you like to propose a solution on how to fix it rather than whine about it??
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Chousho
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
                                Hmm, well~
                                As it's been stated that the official way won't alter the VB database, that only leaves plugins to do the job.

It wouldn't be too hard.
                                You'd need to add a new row in the user table that contains the old password hash (and maybe another if there's a salt), then when the user logs in, match if the entered password creates the stored hash. Take the password they entered and update (not alter) the VB database with their new password hash/salt created via the official VB method.

In fact, you wouldn't even need to alter the DB to add rows if you played your cards right. Just update the value of the password hash and salt after comparing the inputted password hash against the value. At the very worst, you'd have an extra method or two in the impex class that won't get used more than once.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...