• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awaisuk
    • May 2008

IPB to VB Problems solved now?

IPB to VB Problems solved now?

Such as USER PASSWORDS?

Any way to convert them to VB without resetting?

Official/Unofficial way?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no official solution,. I have heard rumors of unofficial solutions but no verification that they actually work.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• awaisuk
      • May 2008

can you point me to some unofficial solutions?

I am very interested in VB, but, thats my only issue as of yet.

Comment

• King Kovifor
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.7.x

This issues are caused by the way vBulletin handles passwords, and how IPB passwords are handled differently. So the vBulletin login doesn't provide the same match as the IPB solution.

Comment

• awaisuk
          • May 2008

Yeah i know that, thats why i am looking for some solution..

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Hashing is one way. It can't be reverse. Unless either a) vBulletin matches IPB's hashing method or b) IPB matches vB's hashing method, there's no way there's going to be any viable solution...short of asking users to request a new password.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Comtech
              Banned
              • Nov 2004
              • 3.6.x

Couldn't this be done by manually copying the information from PhpMyAdmin to the vBulletin instance of each user? This would be time consuming if a person had 100+ members, but if someone had less then it shouldn't take much more than 2-3 hours.

The last time I heard about an official fix was when Jerry was talking about making a plugin that would correctly import the user passwords. Jerry, if you happen to read this, any updates on the plugin?

Comment

• King Kovifor
                • Nov 2004
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Comtech
                Couldn't this be done by manually copying the information from PhpMyAdmin to the vBulletin instance of each user? This would be time consuming if a person had 100+ members, but if someone had less then it shouldn't take much more than 2-3 hours.

The last time I heard about an official fix was when Jerry was talking about making a plugin that would correctly import the user passwords. Jerry, if you happen to read this, any updates on the plugin?
                No. The passwords are encrypted and hashed within the database. The only possible way I see this type of conversion working is to have plugins that hash passwords the same as IPB (or any other software) and match it against stored passwords and if it matches log them in, and update the user data to include the vBulletin hashed password.

Comment

• awaisuk
                  • May 2008

Yea, that is why i am looking for a unofficial fix for this

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

I do not know of one. That's why I said it was a rumor.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

Here is a mod for vb 3.5 which edits the way vbulletin authenticates... the mod author changed the verification to match his SMF which he imported from. I don't think the files changed too much so you could probably do a similiar work around in 3.7 by replacing the SMF hashing scheme with the one for IPB.

Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Ingenious
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Isn't the easiest thing to do just to advise your forum members that they will need to reset their passwords on the new forum?

I don't really see the issue lots of people have with this. If your forum will improve (which it will) then a minor inconvenience like this will not be a problem to them. In a few weeks everyone who is still active will have done a reset and it will all be forgotten.

If you start changing fundamental bits of the forum like the password code, you have to worry about future upgrades you might do.

In the time it takes to possibly find an "unofficial solution", install it, test it (and potentially still have password problems) most of your members could have already reset their own passwords

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for it
                        Fireworks

Comment

• Jerry
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 1.1.x

Yes, that is the recommended and easy way of dealing with it :

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Comtech
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jerry
                            Yes, that is the recommended and easy way of dealing with it :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords
                            But it isn't the most efficient, nor most professional manner of handling passwords. Especially when IPB can transfer vBulletin user passwords without a problem.

Comment

• Jerry
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Comtech
                              But it isn't the most efficient, nor most professional manner of handling passwords. Especially when IPB can transfer vBulletin user passwords without a problem.
                              I dare say you don't know the reasons behind the decisions as to why ImpEx isn't going to modify the vBulletin database. What IPB and/or other systems do is their choice, this question is about vBulletin & ImpEx.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...