What do I need besides purchasing vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrudyD
    • May 2008

What do I need besides purchasing vBulletin?

This is a pretty basic question but I truly do not understand. I want to start a bulletin board (community). Once I purchase a license with vBulletin do I still have to purchase a contract with a webhost such as i.e. startlogic, bluehost, host-monster in order to proceed with building a forum or is vBulletin all I need to begin building a site and then have it go live? Thanks for your help. I'm new at this as you can tell.
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

You will need:
    • A domain name (ie: vbulletin.com). Godaddy and Namecheap are highly recommended. Do a google search for Namecheap coupons and you can probably knock a dollar off the already low prices.
    • A host that has the minimum requirements to run vbulletin forum software (check the hosting forum here for recommendations - do NOT buy your domain and hosting from the same company).
    • vbulletin license of course
    • Recommended: FTP program to upload files and make your life easier
    • Suggestion: A graphics program to create a logo and edit graphic files with. Try GIMP which is free - its available on sourceforge.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment. [*]
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Chazel
      • Nov 2007

Why would you suggest not buying your domain from your host? I do, and it saves so much hassle.

I'd recommend SiteGround for hosting. It's a few dollars a month.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chaselafon
        Why would you suggest not buying your domain from your host? I do, and it saves so much hassle.

I'd recommend SiteGround for hosting. It's a few dollars a month.
        No hassle, until something goes wrong with your host and you can't get your domain or hosting away from them.

Comment

• Carlos 360
          Banned
          • May 2008
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
          Correction: It IS a huge hassle.

There are companies that do shady stuff, such as the minute you expire your hosting, you expire your domains automaticly. Trust me, I've seen situations like this. A host was shady enough to take domain away from a customer, even though that he ended the hosting side of it.

Do yourself a favor, move your domain away from the host if possible. Or don't do it at all.

Comment

• jaycob
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Dilly
            No hassle, until something goes wrong with your host and you can't get your domain or hosting away from them.
            agreed.

plus godaddy is sooo much cheaper for a domain, beats my host by $5.50
            Teen Forums | Chloe Moretz | Teen Celebrity

Comment

• TrudyD
              • May 2008

I did buy my domain about a month ago from Go Daddy. A week ago I signed up with startlogic. They were listed in the top 10 when I googled for the best web hosting. I transferred my domain to them with no problem.

I absolutely cannot get the bulletin board (online forum) going and am ready to pull my hair out. When I installed phpbb3 it shows me as the Administrator but doesn't allow me to access the Administrator Control Panel. I have been on live chat and on the phone numerous times with startlogic and the only answer they have is that they don't support the applications.

I went to phpbb and they were wonderful. They tried and tried to help me but couldn't get me into the ACP. I decided to get a refund from startlogic.

I still want to start an online community. I have limited funds since my husband was laid off several weeks ago and is also recovering from surgery for cancer and can't look for a job just yet. As they say, when it rains it pours. I can spend $200-$300 to get the community going but don't know what to do? Can anyone help? Thank you.

Comment

• choccyclaire
                • Jan 2008

I'm guessing you have purchased VB by now then?

Your host should be able to install the vb script as part of their support contract with you. If not, then for sure you should search for another host!

I happen to use siteground, although this has not had great reviews, they do actually specialize in vb installation and maintaining. Their support ticket system is extremely fast and efficient.

If not, then I do recommend godaddy as I have also used them before.

When you say you are able to spend x amount. Having a website is not a one off payment. Hosting companies will charge a certain amount each month for you to have an account with them. This price can range from as little as $5 a month to $500 a month etc, it all depends on how active your site becomes. But for now I recommend purchasing a shared hosting service, which is usually what a company will offer to begin with.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...