• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zsdave
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

Owned License Question

Hi, I have 2 owned licenses. I have renewed one to download 3.7rc 2
    Do I have to renew the other to install 3.7 on it because I bought the licenses understanding that I would only have to keep one updated.

Thanks for the reply.
    www.p3tz.com
    Virtual Pets
  • Subah
    • Mar 2007
    • 4.1.x

The licenses it attached to the domian so if you want to upgrade both of them you need to renew both of them

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

To reinforce this, you cannot use the files for one license on another license. You will need to renew both licenses if you want to run the latest versions on both sites.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• zsdave
        • Feb 2004

That's not how it was explained when I purchased the second owned license. I was told I could use any files on the other site as long as it was licensed it wasnt important. Otherwise what is the point in having an owned license if you have to renew it every 12 months. Do you guys understand anything about software laws? Or business ethics?
        www.p3tz.com
        Virtual Pets

Comment

• Yours Truly
          • Feb 2007
          • 3.6.x

No, every 12 months you pay for updates if you want to.
          An owned liscenece lets you use the software forever

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

We require you to use the licensed files for a unique instance, you can't use the files from license A on instance B. If someone told you otherwise, then now you know it for sure.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by zsdave
              That's not how it was explained when I purchased the second owned license. I was told I could use any files on the other site as long as it was licensed it wasnt important. Otherwise what is the point in having an owned license if you have to renew it every 12 months. Do you guys understand anything about software laws? Or business ethics?
              Who told you that? Can you provide the link to the post or the ticket ID number?

And yes, we understand quite a lot about software laws and business ethics - and we always act with those in mind.

Just so we are all clear, you cannot use the files for one license on a site for another license - particularly to get around having to renew that license. That has been and continues to be our policy since we started business in 2000. I hope this is clear now.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• zsdave
                • Feb 2004

its nothing to do with renewing a license. I have the owned license and that owned license is mine for site B. That is an owned license not a leased license.
                On site A I also have an owned license now paraphrased "the $30 annual fee is for the access to download the files" There is nothing in the way the owned licenses or when I purchase the $30 access that suggests I'll have to buy access to the download for every site. It's not really an owned license if I have to pay for it continually. I understand I have to pay the $30 to access the downloads but I only need to download one set of files. There is nothing in the user agreement that says I cant use license A files on license B site.
                www.p3tz.com
                Virtual Pets

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

I have given you the official answer. As per the license agreement:

vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the Software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
                  That is the final answer. You cannot use files for one license with another site or license. I would hope that you will respect this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

The license agreement stipulates quite clearly you are getting permission with that license to run one instance. You have the licensed files for that instance. You have two licenses to get permission to run two instances. If you download the .zip for that instance and use it on two instances you break the EULA for that license.

You are not allowed to use the files from one license on the other license. No matter if either of them are owned or leased or a mix of types. Or one is expired and the other isn't. Or both are expired or not.

It's a on a per license and that license agreement that you have permission to run and use the files.

I hope this is clear enough and in order.

Comment

• zsdave
                      • Feb 2004

There is still "nothing in the user agreement that says I cant use license A files on license B site."
                      www.p3tz.com
                      Virtual Pets

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

I have given you the official answer. I will be happy to watch your license for illegal activity if you want.

There is nothing more to discuss. You have your answer.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Each set of files is coded to the URL specified in your member's area and can only be used for that URL. Any other use is a violation of our terms and licensing agreement and can result in anti-piracy action whether you have multiple licenses or not. It would be a lot less aggravating to use the files properly.

The license agreement applies to a single set of files. When you purchase multiple licenses you get access to additional sets of files. Renewing a single license for download does not update all licenses.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by zsdave
                            There is still "nothing in the user agreement that says I cant use license A files on license B site."
                            Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain.

This is pretty clear.

Thread closed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...