X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auonline
    • Jan 2008

About the $30 renewal fee

Hi all,
    I know I asked some questions about vBulletin back in January.. well we decided to move to MyBB and are still having annoyances particularly with the way the forum looks

So I am yet again pondering whether to get vB, I notice the AUD keeps getting better against the USD, so it is cheaper in my local currency (in January, it was costing $184 or around, now its about $170-$174 (in AUD)) and I just prefer the vB look

With this $30 renewal fee, I am a bit confused.

Say I buy a license on April 1, 2008, I don't have to pay a cent until April 1, 2009, at which stage I have no obligation to upgrade? So, say 3.7 comes out Full in August '08, and then the next vB upgrade, 3.8, comes out in 2009, I can upgrade to 3.7 free of charge as it is within my first year, and if 3.8 comes out after April 09, I have to pay the $30 yearly fee whenever I want to upgrade? If you get what I mean?

(P.S I am using 3.7 and 3.8 as examples, I have no idea when they are actually coming out or even if there is a 3.8).

And also, are all styles and mods on the vbulletin.org site free of charge, and are mods installed with a package installer or do we edit code?

Thanks
    Lachlan

EDIT: Another thing just occurred to me, because I live in Australia, will I have to pay any additional taxes upon ordering?
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

you are in the same situation as all the clients here... releases are not planned depending on licenses renewals, so you can't be sure you will have to pay the 30$ when a new release is done... for example, i just renewed because i know the next version willbe after my license ends...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by auonline
      ...Another thing just occurred to me, because I live in Australia, will I have to pay any additional taxes upon ordering?
      G'day!
      No additional taxes in OzzieLand.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

And also, are all styles and mods on the vbulletin.org site free of charge, and are mods installed with a package installer or do we edit code?
        Anything released on vBulletin.org is free o charge, we do not allow commercial work to be posted on vBulletin.org.

Since the Plugin system was introduced in vBulletin 3.5, most modifications do not require code edits and can be installed by importing a xml-file.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Mez
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by auonline
          Say I buy a license on April 1, 2008, I don't have to pay a cent until April 1, 2009, at which stage I have no obligation to upgrade??
          Almost right, though your wording seems a little curious.

If you bought an Owned licence on April 1, 2008, you would have to pay $160 for that licence when you buy it. Then, when you reached April 1, 2009, you would have the option to pay $30 to renew the upgrades for this licence (allowing you to download versions released in the year April 1 2009 - April 1 2010)

If however, you bought a Leased Licence on April 1, 2008, you would have to pay $85 when buying it, and then $85 on April 1, 2009, April 1, 2010, etc etc, or have to cease the operation of your board.

The owned licence makes more sense, obviously, as you can continue to use the board after your initial years purchase if you wish, with no extra cost, you just won't be able to download new versions. Whereas the leased licence, you will have to renew each year for continued operation.

There are obviously, a few things I have missed out, like buying a Leased Licence and upgrading it to an owned licence, but the above should help you out a little, and if you need more info, you can always email [email protected] for more information, or ask here for further details

Hope this helps!

Comment

• TouchingVirus
            • Dec 2003
            • 3.6.x

Hi Martin,

I think the OP was talking about selectively renewing.

For example, they purchase an owned license on 1st April 2008 which is valid until 1st April 2009. The board software is version 3.7 in this hypothetical case. If there are no vBulletin releases from 1st April 2009 to 1st April 2010, but there is a new release in say June 2010, can the OP just purchase a renewal for 2010-2011 at the $30 renewal price, or do they have to purchase the 2009-2010 renewal before they can purchase the 2010-2011?

If this isn't the question then I believe I misunderstood

Edit: The answer is that they are not backdated - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...53&postcount=6
            Last edited by TouchingVirus; Sat 29 Mar '08, 6:01am. Reason: Found the answer...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...