X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos X
    Banned
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.6.x

iJoe, switch it back, man! Its okay to yell once in a while.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Wayne answered this. It requires to licenses. That is the official response.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Fusion
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Carlos X
        YOU are not getting it, this is a merge of two databases, you will see ALL content from visitor content side of things.

The only time you can't edit what content is displayed or not, is when you direct, like say, three different domains to their different content...THAT's where you break THAT rule.
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103150
        The key to their interpretation (and the EULA) is the use of two separate domains. That's what it all hitches on, not what usergroup the user is put under. Steve and Wayne have already given the official response, but I thought I'd spell it out.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• iJoe
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.6.x

As you are presenting two sets of content from two different domains
          i'm not doing that though, the domains have nothing to do with it. Both domains link to a forum showing no forums. When the user registeres, they see what ever forums they choose. So the domain has nothing to do with it, just two different ways of accessing the site

I tihnk i have confused everyone here as what i said above seems totally different to what i have said before but i mean the same thing

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

If the domain names seem totally unrelated the user will get the sense they're two different forums.
            Open a support-ticket and give the names there and ask for a direct response.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Kimmi
              • Jan 2006

So what you are saying when someone joins they get to pick from forum A or forum B..
              but on the same database but using the forum as 1.
              But when they get to pick between forum A and Forum B there is 2 different names to the 2 of the forums.. which was said by the staff you would need 2 licence becuz there will be pretty much to 2 forums running but combined into 1 with 2 different domains,so again you would need 2 licences

Comment

• iJoe
                • Oct 2007
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Fusion
                If the domain names seem totally unrelated the user will get the sense they're two different forums.
                Open a support-ticket and give the names there and ask for a direct response.
                yea they are unrelated but they both link to exactly the same stuff, its the content they choose. It will be explained to them its one forum and really i'm not going to go spendin another 56 quid just to try and get a few extra members.

I think the way i am planning this is fine with the domain rules and the fact some of the forums will be available to usergroup a and b i dont see whats wrong

If i had posted nothing i coulda just done this by now

Comment

• Dilly
                  • Mar 2005

If i had posted nothing i coulda just done this by now
                  And had your license revoked.

You asked. It was answered by staff. Accept it.

Comment

• antiekeradio
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.6.x

domain 1; goes to board
                    domain 2; goes to exacty the same board

1 license OK

on this single board;

usergroup 1 sees forums 1, 2, 3 and 4.
                    usergroup 2 sees forums 1, 2, 5 and 6.

If this would require 2 licences there are a lot of board owners in violation, I guess.

there is a license issue if you have something like:

domain 1; board showing forums 1, 2, 3

domain 2; board showing forums 4, 5, 6

These are functionally 2 separate boards, and therefore requires 2 licenses.

Comment

• iJoe
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 3.6.x

And had your license revoked.

You asked. It was answered by staff. Accept it.
                      no not revoked, they woulda warned me 1st

and really how would they find out? I really dont see how your post is useful therefore stop spamming

on a lighter note... you know if i didnt have the other domain, and i did this, it would be allowed. The other domain will simply be parked on my hosting account as a more relevent means of access for members wanting to post in the habbo sections

at above post:

domain 1; goes to board

1 license OK

on this single board;

basically i am combining them but the usergroup is decided at registration

Edit: Just like http://www.gamesey.com run their site except two domains linking to same site
                      Last edited by iJoe; Thu 20 Mar '08, 4:58pm.

Comment

• Carlos X
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Nobody, not even staff are even understanding this.

iJoe, its no use in keep going, just do it. You are safe.

There's nothing in the rules that state that you can't give the end user control of what they see. Trust me.

I have seen a lot of boards that keep a "elite" usergroup, for them to see a private forum. What's more, is that the same can be said for those staff forums.

The ideas in this thread presented by iJoe defines that whole "elite" idea. Lets say you join the army, and while the army is one world, one group, but there are elite groups that keep other members out, thus giving a feel that you are a part of something.
                        Originally posted by antiekeradio
                        domain 1; goes to board

1 license OK

on this single board;

THIS is what he is asking. The boards are already established, and HE wants to merge those two boards together into ONE. SINGLE. BOARD.
                        Last edited by Carlos X; Thu 20 Mar '08, 5:14pm.

Comment

• bonjurkes
                          • Apr 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Ok, i will offer easier solution,

Just had a look at vbulletin.org for user profile options,

There is a hack for, if you choose option 1st you go to registered users option, if you choose 2nd option you go to another usergroup.

There will be 1 board but 2 different usergroups, you can set it up with usergroup permissions.

Either way, even you merge 2 database, if you are making 2 installations it means 2 license.

The 1 license works for, if you go to domain.net and if it redirects you to domain.com without any condition it means 1 license is ok.

Comment

• Dilly
                            • Mar 2005

no not revoked, they woulda warned me 1st

and really how would they find out? I really dont see how your post is useful therefore stop spamming
                            They would find out the same way they always do. Spamming? Try looking up a definition.

Will users in both usergroups be able to access any of the same forums?

Comment

• Carlos X
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 3.6.x

Dilly, cut it out. He's not asking for your insults with your "go look at a dictionary."

Cool down.
                              Originally posted by bonjurkes
                              Either way, even you merge 2 database, if you are making 2 installations it means 2 license.
                              What? No, from what I understand, its two different kind of forum software (I assume, right? RIGHT?), so basicly, he can take that ImPex and merge them without a hitch.

Comment

• Dilly
                                • Mar 2005

Carlos, butt out. He told me I was spamming, I told him to look up spamming. No insult there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...