• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iJoe
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

is this allowed?

Hey

I am already a licensed member I just need to find out if this is allowed on my 1 licence and didn't know where this should be posted

Basically I currently have a forum, we changed from a habbo styled forum about 2 months ago.

We are now thinking about having both a general forum and habbo forum on one licence with one database. They would have separate domains

This is how we would run it

When a member joins they choose to become either a habbo member or a non habbo member. If they chose habbo they are put into a habbo user group. This user group is set to have the habbo styled skin and can see various forums relating to habbo and a set of general forums

if they choose a non-habbo member they see the general skin we have now and don't see the habbo forums, instead they see teen forums and the general set that the habbo members also see

So they are both in the same database using the same forum software etc just seeing different skins and forums depending what they want to see

I was only really asking because it will have another domain added onto our current hosting

If this is confusing I'll reply to questions :P

Thanks

Joe

Edit: looking at the one domain thing - The domain would link to the same content, the showing/hiding of certain forums will be dependant on what the user chooses at registration not on the domain
    Last edited by iJoe; Thu 20 Mar '08, 10:12am.
  • iJoe
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Sorry to bump this but I need this answering please asap :P

Comment

• bonjurkes
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.6.x

You can do 1 installation per 1 license....

Comment

• iJoe
        • Oct 2007
        • 3.6.x

So they are both in the same database using the same forum software etc
        They would both be on the same installation

The main query is the domain issue

Comment

• Kimmi
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bonjurkes
          You can do 1 installation per 1 license....

yep 1 licence per domain.if you want 2 different forums(same installtion) you would have to buy another licence. you are allowed 1 public and 1 test fourm that is password prtected.that only you can get into

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

As you are presenting two sets of content from two different domains, this would require two licenses under the spirit of the EULA.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iJoe
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.6.x

Edit: looking at the one domain thing - The domain would link to the same content, the showing/hiding of certain forums will be dependant on what the user chooses at registration not on the domain

I think that gets me out of the domain issue though

Can a member of staff reply please before i just do it anyway :P

edit: didnt see that reply :P

And I know how i am going to get around the domain thing

habbodomain and nonhabbodomain both show no forums. Then when the user registeres, they join either usergroup 1 or 2 so the forums they view are dependent on the usergroup and NOT the domain therefore this is allowed... right.... also the two groups will be joined at the general forums anyway
              Last edited by iJoe; Thu 20 Mar '08, 1:13pm.

Comment

• Kimmi
                • Jan 2006

Im not a staff but we all ready stated you will need 2 licences since they will be on 2 different domains connected or not you will still need 2 licences

Comment

• Carlos X
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.6.x

I DON'T think this breaks the rules. In fact, all I think it is, is all domain[s] redirect to the same instance...BUT one ceveat: import the old habbo database into the new vbulletin instance. However, if the user decides to be be a habbo member, they'll be switched to a new usergroup...kinda like gamesey.

Publicly, you'll see the same content.
                  Last edited by Carlos X; Thu 20 Mar '08, 1:23pm.

Comment

• Kimmi
                    • Jan 2006

But the main thing is there will be 2 forums up using 2 different domains which both forums will be in use. which you would need 2 licences.since there is 2 forums up and running

Comment

• Carlos X
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by iJoe
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said before, you'll see the same content publicly, but from the user side of things, you can choose what content you want to see. This is a good idea, to appease current users, but also veterans.

iJoe, you're safe, don't worry.

Comment

• Kimmi
                        • Jan 2006

Comment

• Kimmi
                          • Jan 2006

vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the Software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.

Comment

• Carlos X
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3.6.x

YOU are not getting it, this is a merge of two databases, you will see ALL content from visitor content side of things.

The only time you can't edit what content is displayed or not, is when you direct, like say, three different domains to their different content...THAT's where you break THAT rule.
                            Last edited by Carlos X; Thu 20 Mar '08, 1:36pm.

Comment

• iJoe
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Carlos X
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said before, you'll see the same content publicly, but from the user side of things, you can choose what content you want to see. This is a good idea, to appease current users, but also veterans.

iJoe, you're safe, don't worry.
                              yay someone understands me

Edited out the shouting :P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...