• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nochkin
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.6.x

Modification of VB

Hello,
    How much can I modify VB if I'll purchase it?
    I understand that I can not change the copyright notice unless I pay an extra fee, but what about other scripts/templates/css/js/links?
    Thanks.
  • Chazel
    • Nov 2007

I'm pretty sure you can modify anything you want as long as the copyright is intact.

Comment

• Onimua
      • Apr 2005

You're free to modify vBulletin in pretty much any way you see fit so that it meets your needs. Be warned though that Jelsoft doesn't support these modifications, and if you run into any problems, you might need to go to vBorg for support. Most of the time, if you do run into a problem, it's probably due to your modifications anyway.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• nochkin
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.6.x

Thanks for your quick responses, chaselafon and Onimua!

Please don't get me wrong. I don't question your opinions, but I don't want to get into any legal issues when my forum is live.

Is it official?
        I completely understand about support, Jelsoft can't support things which they did not do. I will support my own changes, of course.
        For example, I would want to remove an image link to version.vbulletin.com for obvious reasons and make other changes. Is it approved for sure?

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

it is not illegal, even, you can see how many coders already have modified vBulletin here:

http://vbulletin.org ... a place where modification is a gift!
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Chazel
            • Nov 2007

Yes.

Comment

• Dream
              • Mar 2001
              • 3.6.x

I'm pretty sure you can modify anything also, but I would wait for an official response.
              Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• nochkin
                • Mar 2008
                • 3.6.x

Seems like there is no official response to it so I'll assume that I can modify in any way I want. I don't need support anyway.
                Thanks.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

While you can modify the code for your own use, you must still abide by the terms and conditions of the lisence agreement.

ie: Just because you can hack vbulletin to run on multiple domains doesn't mean you can do so in all cases.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• nochkin
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 3.6.x

Reeve of Shinra,
                    Thanks for your input.. I'm getting more information now.

I might run it on multiple domains, but the look won't be changed so it's allowed. No problems here.

The question I have now is where can I get this "terms and conditions of the lisence agreement"?
                    Maybe it's possible to see the part about my own level of modifications from it? Let's say I want to modify everything including templates, js, css, but to keep just the php scripts with some modifications.

"I'm pretty sure you can modify anything" is a good answer which will work for me as long as this is the official opinion also.

Comment

• Onimua
                      • Apr 2005

You can view the license agreement here: https://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php
                      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• nochkin
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Onimua,
                        Thanks for the link.

The Software source code may be altered (at your risk)

All Software copyright notices within design templates must remain unchanged (and visible).
                        I don't see a "dot" at the end of first sentence, but I think it's just a typo.
                        That will do. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...