X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beowulf
    • Feb 2008

Custom forum -> vBulletin?

Hi,

I am running a custom forum, with some 20,000 topics and 120,000 posts. I am looking to possibly converting it to vBulletin (which I haven't purchased yet).

This post simply aims to try and find out if it is possible to port this into a vBulletin board, how hard it might be (my forum is very simple compared to vBulletin, it's basically a question of porting users+avatars, forums, topics, posts, possible pm's, polls)?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Im afraid you would need to either rewrite the Impex import script for your data, or write a custom import script to do this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

actually there is a lot of custom forums based on phpBB or IPB, so maybe you could help yourself by checking what is the software behind your site... there is a lot of forums here that can be converted to vBulletin... see the list here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Chazel
        • Nov 2007

Ask Jerry, I'm sure he'd do it for you if you gave him the source code.

Comment

• Dismounted
          • Sep 2006

You can already create import modules for ImpEx, so the framework is there.

Comment

• beowulf
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by nexialys
            actually there is a lot of custom forums based on phpBB or IPB, so maybe you could help yourself by checking what is the software behind your site... there is a lot of forums here that can be converted to vBulletin... see the list here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump
            My forum isn't based on anything. I custom programmed it from ground up. The database structure will certainly have some differences form other forums like ie. phpbb.

You can already create import modules for ImpEx, so the framework is there.
            That is good :-) How complex would that be however?

Comment

• Dismounted
              • Sep 2006

I really can't comment on that as I have not done it myself. Maybe Jerry or Marco can help you out on that one as they're the ImpEx devs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...