• Show
Clear All
  • movielover85
    Banned
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

i am a new user

hello mods.....

i want to create a forum using vbulletin.....
    i had gone through the demo of this....n got many things......
    right now i had made connection between apache , php and mysql thats in win XP SP2.....
    but some questions ......

1--whats the minimum reqirement of server and its whole configuration, specifications?

before this i had never done this type of things so what the things i must prepare before purchasing the license of vbulletin like domain , hosting ,the required software used by vbulletin?????

plz help me out......
    thanks in advance,,,,,
  • wii
    • Sep 2000
    • 3.8.x

You just need a domain and a webhost before using vBulletin, not sure what else you are asking ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Please read this thread here:

Also, it is not recommended to run a production site on Windows XP. This is not a server platform and you will experience stability problems in the long run. It will be sufficient for a testing and development platform. To get an environment setup on a Windows machine to run vBulletin, I recommend using Wampserver from http://www.wampserver.com/en/. They provide a simple install with everything you need.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• movielover85
        Banned
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.6.x

so according to u which platform is reliable n stable to run this wampserver???
        and the webspace required by php n scripts will be on the webhosting site and in my server too????i mean to say it wil take space on both side ???????
        and the mysql dataspace takes space on my server side or where????

i m clear about that where the spaces r distrubted?????
        thanks in advnce.....

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

if the server type is not really a problem for you, the best suggestion is to be hosted on a Linux server, so all compatibilities are answered... most general hosts offer Linux more efficiently than Windows...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• wii
            • Sep 2000
            • 3.8.x

Wait, it sound like the basics need to be explained.

Movielover:

1. vBulletin is a forum script that you upload to a webserver.
            2. Get a domain (I recommend namecheap.com) and a webhost (I recommend hostgator.com) and upload the files to your site, create a database and edit the config file.

This is ultra short version, for more questions just post, from the sound of it, I don´t think you should host this yourself, this is what the webhost will do for you, so you don´t have to worry about that.

Comment

• movielover85
              Banned
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.6.x

thank u mr wii.....
              i had some more basic questions.....
              right now i m using Pentium IV processor with WIN XP sp2 platform with 250gb hdd and 1gb ram.....this is my pc config....
              so for webserver, i can use my pc or i have to buy a dedicated server for that or buy a different pc for the server??????

Comment

• wii
                • Sep 2000
                • 3.8.x

Are you sure you want to host for the forum yourself ?

It´s much easier to use a webhost for this, why would you want to host the forum yourself ?

Comment

• movielover85
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3.6.x

no i dnt want to take this headace......
                  that means the webhosting site will provide me all the storage space required to run the website???? or i also had to share some resources???
                  by using my pc i can upload post to my site using webhost server????

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by movielover85
                    that means the webhosting site will provide me all the storage space required to run the website???? or i also had to share some resources???
                    Your host will provide you with everything you need except the vBulletin package.
                    With the help of your PC you have to upload the files to your host's server.
                    With the help of your PC and your browser you have to install those files.
                    In short:that is it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• wii
                      • Sep 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Yep, that´s it !

Comment

• movielover85
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 3.6.x

now i got it......
                        after all this thing after launching the site.....
                        from where i can earn money via my site???
                        if anybody becomes user or click,surf on my website.... i get any profit for this or not????

Comment

• Hossie
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Also, it is not recommended to run a production site on Windows XP.
                          It is not recommended to use Windows at all!

Comment

• Hossie
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3.6.x

now i got it......
                            after all this thing after launching the site.....
                            from where i can earn money via my site???
                            if anybody becomes user or click,surf on my website.... i get any profit for this or not????
                            You only get money for users clicking on advertisments. There a millions of ad services, like Google ads for example.

Comment

• nexialys
                              • May 2004
                              • 1.1.x

You did not want to take the headache, but using your personal computer to host a website is exactly that, a headache... if your job is not webmaster, forget about it... and even so, no webmaster will do that, because there is so much solutions online, having to host a website at home is just stupid...

you are making things more complicated than the basics... for now, you jut have a basic forum, with no trafic,... if you have it already... you do not pay 160$ for 3 members on a forum, you plan to have a good site with a lot of participants... so you have to have at first a plan at a host that will provide enough services for you to be safe.

an example, is Hostgator.com ... this is not advertising, just the facts... the smallest package you get there is enough for you... at startup for a forum. you can be sure that HostGator will be able to host your vBulletin for one reason: their support forum is actually a vBulletin.. they are supporting it 100%...

so stop asking about hosting vBulletin at home... you can't. the only thing that this will give you is problems, and you will complain that vBulletin is a sh*t and you will require a refund for that...
                              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...