X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outreach08
    • Feb 2008

Seriously Considering software, requesting answers

Hey guys,

I'm working on a project for a gym that is wanting to build a forum community for their members. I don't have any special skills in programming and so I'm looking for something simple to use. I played around with the demo and this seems to be the key. I have some general questions that I can't find else where that I was hoping to get answered.

I've built them a website using a company that also provides preformatted layouts, you just change the look and feel to make it personalized. I want to incorporate a forum community into this site but they can't host the software.
    1. I'm assuming that in one of my topic titles I can create a hyper link that if clicked, a user would then be directed to the site I could host this software on, is this an accurate assumption?
    2. If I buy this software, can someone explain to me all the costs involved with setting it up on a seperate host? Right now our user capacity would be about a 100 people, but we would like the option for it to expand as we expand.I'm looking for a rough overall cost involved; software, hosting, and anything else that might be associated with it so that we can see if it works into the budget or not.
    3. I was turned onto your product by MTBR as I'm a member over there and love the user interface. I noticed that they are able to run advertisements in the headers and columns of their program, is this a possibility for everyone, and if so, how hard is it to incorporate ad space into the site if I'm not a programmer?
    I think thats about it, I'm basically looking to just create a link from our site to a site that will host this software so our clients can communicate in a forum community. I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible so I'm not sure if there are different levels of this program but if there are, that is our goal as we are just starting out. I would also like the ability to print reports that I can show our sponsors what type of traffic flow we have and who they reach by sponsoring our program. These would be the main questions and concerns I have.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this lengthy questionaire and I look forward to reading your response and hopefully utilizing your awesome software!

Josh
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

Hello,

1. Yes, you can create a link to your main site either via a forum link or a link added to one of your templates. You can also add a link from your main site to your forum.

2. There are two license choices for vBulletin. These are an owned license which allows you to run the software forever at $160 USD and a leased license which allows you to run the software for one year at $85 USD. You will also need a domain name and hosting. The costs for these can vary a lot depending on your requirement. You may wish to enquire about suitable hosts for running vBulletin at www.webhostingtalk.com or in our vBulletin Hosting Options forum.

3. Adding ads into vBulletin is done by inserting the HTML code for the ads into the templates in the places that you want the ads to display. There are various sets of instructions for doing this.

4. For traffic statistics, you would want to use an external traffic tracker wuch as google analytics, webalyzer or similar. These usually come with a small amount of code to insert into your site which then monitors the traffic and produces reports.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...