X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamin100
    • Feb 2008

Migrating after install of Vbulletin???

Hi, I have a question.

I currently have a domain thats up and running using a SMF database.

I also have a test site on separate hosting that only i use.

What i want to do is install vbulletin on the test site then import everything from my SMF forum and make sure it works before i change the name servers of my domain to point to the vbulletin board.

Will i run into any problems doing this?

I presume i will have to set some options that will ask for the domain in vbulletin and i will have to use the temporary address of my test site.

Thanks

Ben
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

As long as both databases are on the same server then you will be able to do the import.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jamin100
      • Feb 2008

so let me just clarify.

I have my SMF site on host A with my domain www.abc.com

I am then going to install vbulletin on host B without a proper domain. It'll just be an IP then username to access my space ie. 11.11.11.23/~mysite/

I can then setup and tweak vbulletin and get it setup how i want it.

I will then copy the SMF database from host A onto host B. Then i will do the import.

Finally i will change the nameservers to point my domain to the vbulletin install..

and all the above should work...

Also are there any issues with converting my board from SMF to Vbulletin. Will all mu users/forums/posts and attachments import accross ok?

Thanks for your help

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Personally I would do the import before I would setup and tweak vB, just in case something goes wrong and you need to start over.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

P.S. Please note that since SMF passwords are encrypted, they cannot be imported. Your users will need to reset their passwords after the import. You can read more about this here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...