Love to convert to VB, but no proper import possible!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chousho
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.8.x

I'm siding with Don Maddox here.

Welcome to VBulletin, Sat4all ! Glad to have you aboard.
    Let us know how you fared in regards to your forum, also! From what I have heard, the staff are especially good at helping new customers in converting their forums and such, so let's hope that their help holds true for you, too.

And I think it's best for non-staff to leave the staffing to staff ;D Perhaps not such harsh sounding words would benefit everybody, especially when somebody expresses interest in the product.

Initially, the response should have been something along the lines of: "We can only support licensed customers, please have your friend fill out a ticket or add you to their priority support list".
    Which begs the question, there's a test site here for users to try out VB. What about impex?

Comment

• KW802
      • Jul 2003

Some people just can't seem to follow their own advice.
      [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Sat4all
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.6.x

Well, ist must be me then....

My initial post said: (both questions in red)

Threads import takes 21 hours and the post import is bound to take a few days.
        This is not acceptable for us. This would mean we would have to close our forums for at least a few days.
        Is there any way to get this done (much) faster?
        Is there also a way to import the PM's?
        We would like to get ridd of UBB.threads 7.2.2. and convert to vbulletin, but at this point this just doesn't seem to be possible.
        We would love to buy a vbulletin license and are also prepared to do all we can to help create a proper import function for large UBB.Threads communities.

As you can see I was merely asking if it CAN be done faster. I dind't ask how!
        .....And I am asking if Impex would also import PM's.
        Both valid pre-sales questions since migrating to VB would not be possible under these conditions.
        Would you buy a license not being sure if your intended conversion would work and spend USD 160 for nothing?

Ron

Comment

• KW802
          • Jul 2003

And you knew how long it would take how? Oh, that's right, by using a copy of the software that you said you didn't have a license for.

Amazing.

EDIT: Thinking out loud, I don't have a license for vB Blogs but a few "friends" do... I wonder if the Jelsoft guys would mind providing support to me directly instead of my friends if I were to try out a copy of vB Blogs to see if does what I want it to. Wait... I said "support"... I meant "answer my pre-sale questions" even though I don't have a license but my question has to do with a function that I'm trying with the actual application.
          [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Sat4all
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.6.x

Are you with the FBI?
            As far as I know a license holder is allowed to help out a friend testing importing a database on his licensed software with the soul intention to see if it would work. I was truthfull about that, but I guess in your eyes I'll always be a "software pirate"
            I guess you would also not touch a workstation where you didn't personally buy a windows XP license for. Even if it's a friends workstation.

Ron

Comment

• KW802
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Sat4all
              Are you with the FBI?
              As far as I know a license holder is allowed to help out a friend testing importing a database on his licensed software with the soul intention to see if it would work. I was truthfull about that, but I guess in your eyes I'll always be a "software pirate"
              I guess you would also not touch a workstation where you didn't personally buy a windows XP license for. Even if it's a friends workstation.

Ron
              I never said you were a "software pirate" but, really, what kind of response were you expecting within a community where piracy is rampant?

Look, I really am glad to see that you ended up buying a license because most of the time when somebody wants support... err, have pre-sales questions about a copy they are using... they are never heard from again.

As I also said, I hope that your team & Jerry (or whomever is working on your support tickets) gets the problems resolved; surely you're not the first UBB converter to encounter the issues you've reported (and if you are, that'd be surprising).

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

True, there's nothing wrong with helping out a friend, as I'm sure many others have used their test-boards for the same thing.
                I'm sorry your import is proving to be a pain, and I hope you'll endure and that things will sort themselves out.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• osayidan
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 3.6.x

There isn't anything wrong with what he did and quite frankly he shouldn't have purchased a license due to pressure from this community before he even got a straight answer to his question.

Regardless of what people wish to assume about others, there is a legitimate concern about the product here, and the vbulletin company is lucky to not have lost a customer due to the reaction of the community.

Now that you have your license i hope your issues get resolved quickly, and welcome to vbulletin.

Comment

• Sat4all
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 3.6.x

Thank you. As far as I know Jerry is taking a look at our present situation (he has the passwords and all) so I am confident he will do all he can to help us and others to have a smooth coversion from ubb.threads 7.x to vb.
                    This thread can be closed.

Ron

Comment

• Exciter
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Shame

Oh man, what bad feelings i have now!

I were one of the members of sat4all, which did try for long time to turn the guys of sat4all getting vBulletin software.
                      I were the one, who told to Ron of sat4all, that vB is just the best choice, they can make.
                      I were the one, who said, that the migration from UBB to vB must be possible, as i did the same thing time before.

Guys, i do shame now. Really. It is unbelievable for me to see, how this guys from sat4all are being handled here.

If i buy a car, i also can have a test drive, before i pay any penny. I also have questions, which i want to get answered before i buy.

I always lived in the dream, that vB loves its customers and SPECIALLY potential customers, but i'm really disapointed now.
                      If this above here is an example, how you treat future's customers, than something wrong happenned to this community.
                      You all have to awake NOW!!!

With kind regard,

Roman

Comment

• Jerry
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Sat4all
                        This thread can be closed.

Ron
                        I agree, now the situation has changed, this thread is now redundant, and as ever I am doing all I can to update the importer.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...